The Student Room Group

Want to appear in a BBC Three short film?

BBC Three are filming a series of short films that explore the difficulties experienced between young adults and their parents when their opinions differ on university.

Do your parents disagree with your choice of course or university?

Maybe they disagree with your choice to go to university altogether?

Alternatively, if you've chosen not to go, are they trying to pressure you to change your mind?

If any of these sound familiar to your experience - and you'd be interested in making your screen debut on camera - send me a PM! :top2:
Reply 1
Yo! My name is James. I dropped out of Durham University 6 weeks ago.

I decided to take control of my life. My parents were not/still aren't happy about it. They defo think I am making the wrong decision - seeing as I've been "academic" my whole life.

I recorded my thoughts here:
https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

I am well up for your offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by discobish
BBC Three are filming a series of short films that explore the difficulties experienced between young adults and their parents when their opinions differ on university.

Do your parents disagree with your choice of course or university?

Maybe they disagree with your choice to go to university altogether?

Alternatively, if you've chosen not to go, are they trying to pressure you to change your mind?

If any of these sound familiar to your experience - and you'd be interested in making your screen debut on camera - send me a PM! :top2:

I am interested.
Reply 3
Original post by JSSB

I decided to take control of my life. My parents were not/still aren't happy about it. They defo think I am making the wrong decision - seeing as I've been "academic" my whole life.

Original post by Blackstarr
I am interested.

Hey guys - thanks for your responses!

Send me a PM with your name and email address / contact number and I'll pass along to BBC Three for you. Thanks :biggrin:
I'm interested too :smile:
A BBC Three short film?

You mean like one of those videos involving a young woman and two men of ethnic minority and inconceivable girth?
Original post by JSSB

Haha your the guy that gave me some help and advice :smile: and sent me the video about you talking about smoking etc. but i didnt know it was actually you until know :0
Reply 7
My dad flat out didn't want me to live on campus at university, he got over that pretty quickly when I moved there anyway. His pretty big on getting educated, so that probably helped him chill out. I just wasn't up for the hour + commute to get there and an hour + commute back, nope. My mum was also on my side, plus my brother moved out for university and my dad had no issue with that so I used that against him, haha.
Reply 8
Original post by Shabby33
Haha your the guy that gave me some help and advice :smile: and sent me the video about you talking about smoking etc. but i didnt know it was actually you until know :0

haha, what do you think?
My parents didn't really have the chance to raise their objections, if there were any.

I made the decisions without ever thinking of consulting them, just as I did without consulting them on my sixth form arrangement or study options after F3. They learned about my choices at an extended family event when they overheard my answer to another relative asking about it.

When I was applying for graduate school, my mother did say she was only going to pay for it if it's Oxford or Cambridge. But then she was never actually going to be the one funding it, and I did get into Oxford anyway. They had no idea what course I was reading until they got the degree diploma sent to our family house.

Quick Reply

Latest