Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 24 years old and not really where I think I want to be in my life. I completed my degree in 2014 and then worked for a year and a half and then started a masters degree, which I have just recently finished.
    During my masters degree I volunteered with a charity which has a graduate scheme. My work with this charity was amazing and it is just the kind of job I want for all sorts of reasons. I applied for their graduate scheme and despite having relavant experience for the role, I was unsuccessful. It was a selection day and I got to the afternoon individual interview (as they cut people after the morning session) but I know I messed up the interview and defo could have answered the questions better.
    Also, I only applied for the scheme in one city and there was only a couple of positions in that city.
    The scheme has intakes in january and august and I'm unsure of whether to apply for January 2018 or wait till August 2018

Reasons for January 2018:
    - would like to move out
    - want to start my career, not just for money but for opportunities
    - i have a masters degree and want to do something with it
    HOWEVER:
    - I'd have to move to another city, maybe London or Birmingham (I live in manchester) - I wouldn't mind moving to London it is just the ridiculous living costs!
    - I'm still in my student overdraft and don't have any savings or anything behind me
    - I've got a job as a teaching assistant and it would mean leaving after pretty much just starting this month (one month's notice)
    - might not be happy in another city - a bit of a gamble

Reasons for August 2018:
    - likely to be more closer cities available - such as Manchester. If I got manchester this would be ideal as I'd get to stay around my family
    - I'll have a year to save up, get out my overdraft and have a bit of extra money behind me for deposit/first months rent - this puts me a better position to be willing to move to another city as I won't have financial worries
    HOWEVER:
    - got to wait a whole year
    - might wait all that time and be unsuccessful again
    - working as a TA is not great pay and would be in the same position financially if I got onto the scheme in January 2018 and moved out paying rent and bills. The salary would be more but with more outgoings I'd be able to save the same amount as what I can afford as a TA on my wage. So e.g. Teaching assistant wage £800-900 per month, I could save max £300 per month and live on £300 per month (about £70 a week) but have £3,000 saved up by next August
    OR
    if I got onto the graduate scheme in Jan the monthly pay would be £1400 - so about £400-600 on rent and bills would leave me with £800 for other bills, weekly living allowance and to get out my overdraft.

So I'm not sure what to do! I'm so indecisive and everything feels like a big gamble in terms of how I do on the selection day!

that is monthly pay by the way

ReputationRep:
    go for the job im sure ur happy would be happy if u r im sure u can still visit them??xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    that is monthly pay by the way
    could u follow me we can private message me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.