Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am just wondering whether it is possible to leave an apprenticeship early? If I have completed all of my coursework but want to leave early, would I still get the qualification or not?
    I'm just a bit bored here, there is never any work for me to do. I have actually completed all of my coursework. I am supposed to finish April next year.
    Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    Have a read of your contract, you may be required to stay on at the company for a certain amount of time or they'll make you repay the training costs, which could be quite expensive. Equally, they may not allow you to get the qualification, which would result in wasted time. Basically, it's best to stay on at least until you've got the qualification. Maybe speak to your manager/boss and ask them for some extra work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Have a read of your contract, you may be required to stay on at the company for a certain amount of time or they'll make you repay the training costs, which could be quite expensive. Equally, they may not allow you to get the qualification, which would result in wasted time. Basically, it's best to stay on at least until you've got the qualification. Maybe speak to your manager/boss and ask them for some extra work?
    Thanks for replying! I know what you are saying. I would never leave just like that as I do want the qualification and don't want to have wasted my time here. I do ask for work at least 5 times a day but never seem to have anything for me!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    Actually, it's illegal to do that. It's one of the guarantees that the government offer apprentices is that a company is not allowed to try and recoup training costs from current, or former apprentices. I know some larger companies include this in their contract, but I think it's a standard clause they just include regarding funded degrees etc.

(Original post by jon_210)
    Thanks for replying! I know what you are saying. I would never leave just like that as I do want the qualification and don't want to have wasted my time here. I do ask for work at least 5 times a day but never seem to have anything for me!
    It will depend on the qualification. Part of the qualification may require time served.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.