Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently in my house we only have 1 PC which my dad owns and we all have to share it. I'm getting a laptop soon, but unsure on what to get...
    Having my own laptop will enable more freedom and i can use it how i like

Budget: no more than about £400

The subject being studied: used for general study and work

Software that will be run on it: Microsoft Office (although not necessary)

Screen size (10", 12", 13.3", 15.6", 17.3" ): about 15.6"

Operating system preference: Windows

Battery life: about 8 - 10 hours

Minimum Ram requirements: 4GB (8 would be preferable)

Minimum Storage requirements: 1TB HDD

Processor: Doesn't matter, but at least 2GHz (quad core maybe)

Weight limit: don't care

Will it be used for playing games?: Yes

Touchscreen or stylus support needed?: No

Are there any specific port needs? (e.g. USB type C): USB 3.0 or 3.1

What current devices do you have? (including desktop, tablets and phone): PC, Samsung phone, tablet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    £400 is plenty for a good laptop.

Just some advice:

IIWY, I'd go for a 64 or 128 GB SSD, for a much faster system, with a 500GB (perhaps external) hard drive for games, large applications, and media files. If your laptop just comes with an HDD, make sure you can easily replace it (you probably can), and get a USB to SATA cable to use the HDD as an external hard drive.

Windows itself takes up about 20 GB, and even more with the bloatware it normally ships with (like Candy Crush Saga - wtf Microsoft?!). That leaves plenty of room for other applications you want fast access to (such as Photoshop, Microsoft Office, or games). It is *much* faster than an HDD.

You might even want to think about getting a laptop without Windows pre-installed - you could save a lot of money by installing Windows 10 without a product key (from their website), the only downside is that you can't choose a wallpaper. Or you could get one with Linux installed - since it is free, the money can go towards better hardware.

E.g. the Alpha Litebook suits all your needs for about half your budget.
    Thanks for the advice, i will probably opt for SSD and getting a HDD external

I've just been looking at the Alpha Litebook. It comes as a different operating system than windows, but says it's compatible with windows software. Will this affect anything.

Also, i want to consider the processor, as i would like for the processor to be at least 2 - 3 GHz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minertommy)
    Currently in my house we only have 1 PC which my dad owns and we all have to share it. I'm getting a laptop soon, but unsure on what to get...
    Having my own laptop will enable more freedom and i can use it how i like

Budget: no more than about £400

The subject being studied: used for general study and work

Software that will be run on it: Microsoft Office (although not necessary)

Screen size (10", 12", 13.3", 15.6", 17.3" ): about 15.6"

Operating system preference: Windows

Battery life: about 8 - 10 hours

Minimum Ram requirements: 4GB (8 would be preferable)

Minimum Storage requirements: 1TB HDD

Processor: Doesn't matter, but at least 2GHz (quad core maybe)

Weight limit: don't care

Will it be used for playing games?: Yes

Touchscreen or stylus support needed?: No

Are there any specific port needs? (e.g. USB type C): USB 3.0 or 3.1

What current devices do you have? (including desktop, tablets and phone): PC, Samsung phone, tablet
    What sort of games do you want to play? Unless they're just browser games or old titles that you're happy to turn the settings way down for, £400 isn't enough to get you a laptop you can properly game on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    Okay, the Alpha Litebook comes with Elementary OS, which is a version of Linux (the Ubuntu variant), which is beginner friendly.

*Most* Windows software will work on it, but some games won't. Around 20-25% of Steam games have a Linux version that you could download from Steam (if you own the game), but most other games can be played in Linux in a Windows "emulator" called WINE. Games like Rocket League and Civilisation 5 are avaliable on Linux directly, and games like Sykrim can be played through WINE (though it is a bit of an effort to set it up and optimise WINE).

Microsoft Office and similar will work on Linux (through WINE), although you may prefer the free alternative LibreOffice (which comes with the OS).

What kind of software and games will you use, specifically?

The processor is a Quad Core at 1.6 GHz - which is better than a 2.5 GHz Dual Core processor for most tasks. But the Litebook was just an example, since your budget can accomodate double that of the Litebook, you could probably find one with a far better processor, and even a high-end graphics chip (GTX 950+ perhaps).
    I like that there is an emulator which means you can do more stuff.
    The only software i really use, currently, is google chrome and i play league of legends and that's it. I occasionally use steam.

(Original post by Gofre)
    What sort of games do you want to play? Unless they're just browser games or old titles that you're happy to turn the settings way down for, £400 isn't enough to get you a laptop you can properly game on.
    As above ^
    I would put more money into buying a laptop but i can't afford it
    And a PC isn't suitable as there is no room in the house for it to be stored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minertommy)
    I like that there is an emulator which means you can do more stuff.
    The only software i really use, currently, is google chrome and i play league of legends and that's it. I occasionally use steam.

As above ^
    I would put more money into buying a laptop but i can't afford it
    And a PC isn't suitable as there is no room in the house for it to be stored
    Again, saying you "occasionally use Steam" is still a little vague since that spans everything from 8 bit indie games to the most demanding AAA titles ever made.

If a desktop is absolutely out of the question (you could build one yourself the size of a large shoebox that would be substantially more powerful than any laptop at this price), you're going to have to settle for whatever you can find with a sixth or seventh generation Core i5 and 8GB of RAM and settle for whatever games its pathetic integrated graphics can handle. If a tiny desktop sounds like a possible option and you fancy a fun day project (it's basically Lego for grown ups), let me know and I can come up with a list of parts for you to buy.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.