Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is free speech an issue at universities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard recently that at the majority of universities tend to enforce what people say on campus and off campus. I was wondering if someone can explain if it a problem or just an urban myth? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWiseauisGod)
    I have heard recently that at the majority of universities tend to enforce what people say on campus and off campus. I was wondering if someone can explain if it a problem or just an urban myth? Thanks
    This is definitely not a myth. Most universities are now liberal indoctrination camps. They want people to look different but have the same way of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    uh i mean the first thing that people point to as evidence of no free speech are safe spaces - which is bs frankly as the concept of a safe space is just where xenophobia in general isn't tolerated. apparently universities also use trigger warnings (this could be a myth tho) but the point of trigger warnings is like... to just warn students that the content they're about to cover has some stuff in it that could "trigger" ptsd so all universities are really doing is preventing students/staff from saying racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yes:

http://www.spiked-online.com/free-sp...s#.WeCLyVuPKpp

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.