Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow forumers,

I am very surprised at how people notice my "posh accent" and I do not. I get told by a lot of British people that I have a "posh accent", but I have only been living in England for 5 years, and I think it would be impossible to adopt such an accent in such a short amount of time.

Could you people tell me what exactly having a posh accent means?

Thank you very much in advance.

(Original post by robotico2014)
    Hello fellow forumers,

I am very surprised at how people notice my "posh accent" and I do not. I get told by a lot of British people that I have a "posh accent", but I have only been living in England for 5 years, and I think it would be impossible to adopt such an accent in such a short amount of time.

Could you people tell me what exactly having a posh accent means?

Thank you very much in advance.
    You even sound posh by how you type

It's not a bad thing though.. It just means you sound like you're from Made in Chelsea lol

ReputationRep:
    Do you sound like Jacob Rees-Mogg? Because I’d probably look at his accent as a definition of posh. There’s a kid on my school who has a similar accent.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm from a town near London and have recently moved up north for university. I had a retail job down south and transferred to a store up here and one of my colleagues said she thought I was from London because I sound posh. Guess I just have that typical English accent people think of and imitate when they "try to be British".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You even sound posh by how you type

It's not a bad thing though.. It just means you sound like you're from Made in Chelsea lol
    Thank you very much for your reply. It has made my day! Even though I do not watch Made in Chelsea, I know what you meant. I guess I should take it as a compliment from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Do you sound like Jacob Rees-Mogg? Because I’d probably look at his accent as a definition of posh. There’s a kid on my school who has a similar accent.
    Firstly, thank you for your reply. I do not sound exactly like him. I mean I cannot assess myself on my accent, but judging by the comments of others I sound like a "proper posh person".

ReputationRep:
    It means you sound homosexual

ReputationRep:
    Lots of girls throw themselves at you I've noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    It means you sound homosexual
    If you say so. Could I ask, what is your opinion based on? Do you mean that every homosexual possesses a posh accent?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, thank you for your reply. I do not sound exactly like him. I mean I cannot assess myself on my accent, but judging by the comments of others I sound like a "proper posh person".
    I think this might depend on the school you go to then. I go to a Grammar school where people do use slang often but they speak in proper English too. In state schools or schools that tend to do worse in national exams the more intelligent and outstanding pupils might be marginalised. The only people considered posh are the ones that I described. He isn’t treated any differently to anyone else and even the more “edgy” and less hard working kids in my school sometimes converse with him and never make fun of him. It does of course help that the GCSE exams last year basically got rid of the school bullies as they didn’t meet the minimum requirements to remain in school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Lots of girls throw themselves at you I've noticed.
    Thank you for your reply.
    To be honest, I have noticed it as well. Girls do tend to engage in a conversation with me a lot more often.

ReputationRep:
    I get told that all the time, its probably because you speak proper English and don't use much slang. I'm not high-class so I don't sound like a snob from public school - but I've been told I do a good Hermione Granger impression and have the 'stereotypical British voice'. I'm from close to London and I reckon it because I have so many international friends that I speak in a clear way that everyone will understand me. If I started talking like my parents and said Water as woh-ah, my peers would be very confused.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Imagine having this accent and growing up up north - it's hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_guy874)
    Imagine having this accent and growing up up north - it's hell.
    I do not even want to imagine. 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshalld67)
    I get told that all the time, its probably because you speak proper English and don't use much slang. I'm not high-class so I don't sound like a snob from public school - but I've been told I do a good Hermione Granger impression and have the 'stereotypical British voice'. I'm from close to London and I reckon it because I have so many international friends that I speak in a clear way that everyone will understand me. If I started talking like my parents and said Water as woh-ah, my peers would be very confused.
    You must be right!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno - maybe they mean 'weridly posh' which is what happens to some people learning English... it's like a copy of the way posh people used to talk... a sort of strangulated, high pitched and staccato sounding thing... Like they learned English from watching Celia and Trevor

ReputationRep:
    If you say so. Could I ask, what is your opinion based on? Do you mean that every homosexual possesses a posh accent?
    No, it means he’s a cave dwelling homophobe. Do not give him the value of your attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    No, it means he’s a cave dwelling homophobe. Do not give him the value of your attention.
    Thank you very much. I was just trying to challenge his reasoning and find the reason behind his maybe "stereotypical" thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. I was just trying to challenge his reasoning and find the reason behind his maybe "stereotypical" thinking.
    He’s not the type of person to try to use reason to defend himself. He’ll continue to use slurs and insults long after it’s clear he lost the argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Dunno - maybe they mean 'weridly posh' which is what happens to some people learning English... it's like a copy of the way posh people used to talk... a sort of strangulated, high pitched and staccato sounding thing... Like they learned English from watching Celia and Trevor

I have just done a little bit of research and I believe, what they mean is an Estuary English Accent, where I am somewhere in between posh and cockney as seen in the video below. Thank you very much for triggering this in me and helping me understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.