Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotico2014)
    Hello fellow forumers,

I am very surprised at how people notice my "posh accent" and I do not. I get told by a lot of British people that I have a "posh accent", but I have only been living in England for 5 years, and I think it would be impossible to adopt such an accent in such a short amount of time.

Could you people tell me what exactly having a posh accent means?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Is English your second language? It can be quite common to sound posh when speaking in a second language if you've learnt that language formally, because you are used to always using correct grammar, most likely hearing it in a well spoken accent and perhaps are not as adept with slang. Just a thought; there could be a multitude of other reasons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Is English your second language? It can be quite common to sound posh when speaking in a second language if you've learnt that language formally, because you are used to always using correct grammar, most likely hearing it in a well spoken accent and perhaps are not as adept with slang. Just a thought; there could be a multitude of other reasons!
    Yes, English is my second language and it is quite interesting to hear that. I see your point. Thank you for your reply.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you really do have a 'posh' accent. It could just be that you're surrounded by people who are completely common.

I know because I moved to a city, which I won't name, which has a very strong working class accent - it's so strong that it almost sounds like another language...it sounds ****ing awful to be honest. I'm working class but I was from a small town somewhere with a different accent which wasn't very strong. So they all thought I was 'posh' when I came here - in fact I'm from a council estate up north and I'm very far removed from posh, it's just that the vast majority of people can understand me when I talk, whereas most people would have trouble understanding these people.

So yeah, I'd make sure you're not hanging round with apes first before you start thinking you sound or be posh. But if a posh person tells you you sound posh (which ironically probably never happens), then you're probably posh.

ReputationRep:
    I have just done a little bit of research and I believe, what they mean is an Estuary English Accent, where I am somewhere in between posh and cockney as seen in the video below. Thank you very much for triggering this in me and helping me understand.
    THIS, THIS IS ME. Or as I like to call it... Poshney. I come from Milton Keynes - a weird place where the accent is often studied because we are so close to London, (my family is cockney as ****) but the accent has been toned down because there is so much outside influence from immigrants and northerners. You can see the transition in my family, my eldest aunts have a strong cockney accent and my mum being the youngest and only born in MK speaks calmly like I do. Its so fascinating to hear how my accent alters around these people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It doesn't necessarily mean that you really do have a 'posh' accent. It could just be that you're surrounded by people who are completely common.

I know because I moved to a city, which I won't name, which has a very strong working class accent - it's so strong that it almost sounds like another language...it sounds ****ing awful to be honest. I'm working class but I was from a small town somewhere with a different accent which wasn't very strong. So they all thought I was 'posh' when I came here - in fact I'm from a council estate up north and I'm very far removed from posh, it's just that the vast majority of people can understand me when I talk, whereas most people would have trouble understanding these people.

So yeah, I'd make sure you're not hanging round with apes first before you start thinking you sound or be posh. But if a posh person tells you you sound posh (which ironically probably never happens), then you're probably posh.
    Hi, I see your point. I got told that I have a posh accent by a middle class person.

ReputationRep:
    if you do not want to sound posh then watch lots of episodes of Eastenders or Emmerdale Farm.... copy how the characters speak and you will soon sound plebeian.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I sound kinda posh as well, I've been told XD
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_guy874)
    Imagine having this accent and growing up up north - it's hell.
    I have a posh accent and grew up in Norfolk so yeah I used to get teased a lot at school.Everyone also assumed that just because you speak in an estuary accent you must automatically be rich as well :/

Thank you very much for your reply. It has made my day! Even though I do not watch Made in Chelsea, I know what you meant. I guess I should take it as a compliment from now on.
    Haha, i'm glad it made your day :ahee: - it definitely should be taken as a compliment! It's way better than having a chav accent lol!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.