Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It doesn't necessarily mean that you really do have a 'posh' accent. It could just be that you're surrounded by people who are completely common.

I know because I moved to a city, which I won't name, which has a very strong working class accent - it's so strong that it almost sounds like another language...it sounds ****ing awful to be honest. I'm working class but I was from a small town somewhere with a different accent which wasn't very strong. So they all thought I was 'posh' when I came here - in fact I'm from a council estate up north and I'm very far removed from posh, it's just that the vast majority of people can understand me when I talk, whereas most people would have trouble understanding these people.

So yeah, I'd make sure you're not hanging round with apes first before you start thinking you sound or be posh. But if a posh person tells you you sound posh (which ironically probably never happens), then you're probably posh.
    Hi, I see your point. I got told that I have a posh accent by a middle class person.

ReputationRep:
    if you do not want to sound posh then watch lots of episodes of Eastenders or Emmerdale Farm.... copy how the characters speak and you will soon sound plebeian.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah I sound kinda posh as well, I've been told XD
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_guy874)
    Imagine having this accent and growing up up north - it's hell.
    I have a posh accent and grew up in Norfolk so yeah I used to get teased a lot at school.Everyone also assumed that just because you speak in an estuary accent you must automatically be rich as well :/

(Original post by robotico2014)
    Thank you very much for your reply. It has made my day! Even though I do not watch Made in Chelsea, I know what you meant. I guess I should take it as a compliment from now on.
    Haha, i'm glad it made your day :ahee: - it definitely should be taken as a compliment! It's way better than having a chav accent lol!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.