Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Is it possible to have a job while doing a Masters, especially during practice placement?

I'm interested in a Masters on Social Work, in Scotland. The programs I'm interested in have Practice Placement. I've no external help so I'll need to have a job. I'm an EU student so I'm not subject to Tier 4 student visa limitations but I've no idea if there are other restrictions on this matter.

I've written the universities I'm interested in, one told me that I am forbidden to work while I'm working on Practice Placement (they probably didn't get that I'm an EU student) while the rest simply ignored the question. All steered me towards financial aid services as if I didn't know they existed.

I need to know what and how much I can do on my own before committing to this. Counting on external help which isn't guaranteed and unclear to what extent isn't a way of making a plan. Anyone have any experience on this?

ReputationRep:
    Your placements will be Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm for months at a time. It will be very difficult to work alongside that as it’s like a job. I had a part time job through my social work Masters but I was lucky that they were flexible and I worked weekends during terms but didn’t work during my placements and picked up more hours in the summer/Christmas holidays. It may be the ban on working during placement is about the number of hours. Being on a placement is more intense than being at work as concentration levels will need to be greater while you are adjusting to social work practice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vic2028)
    Your placements will be Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm for months at a time. It will be very difficult to work alongside that as it’s like a job. I had a part time job through my social work Masters but I was lucky that they were flexible and I worked weekends during terms but didn’t work during my placements and picked up more hours in the summer/Christmas holidays. It may be the ban on working during placement is about the number of hours. Being on a placement is more intense than being at work as concentration levels will need to be greater while you are adjusting to social work practice.
    During placement what is the nature of a student's work? Are you a fully active participant taking initiative, a more passive observer and limited to what you are doing or is it a mix? Is there work to be done at home? How about weekly group gatherings at the university for assessment, reports, guidance etc?

You are also puzzling me with the work you say you did. How is it possible to be able to get by on only two days of work a week when rent alone has, if you're lucky, 400-500 pounds? I don't see how I could rent a place, have enough for food and travel expenses with only two days of work a week without any outside help. Have I miscalculated expenses and wages in Scotland?

As for the ban, from my correspondence with universities it seems more like a pivot from answering to refer to the advertising of their websites and to financial aid because it's in the best interests of the whole machine, rather than students actively work through their studies. I cannot see how a university could dictate what a free citizen do outside university hours since it's not illegal to work nor does it explain how a Dr. responsible for the program when asked specifically about the matter plays dumb and refers me to SSSC for a student loan and gloats about the glee of studying on campus.

ReputationRep:
    On placement you’ll be expected to work as a team member. Far more than observing and definitely fully active participant. You may have university work to do while on placement too. Basically your placement is equivalent to a full time job. Some of the details you asked will depend on which university but I am a practice educator (I take social work students on placement - or rather, I did because I don’t have time now). As for the work I did, it’s not really relevant. I had a bursary and packed as many hours I could into holidays and weekends. Also it was a part time contract - not zero hours so I got holiday pay.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vic2028)
    On placement you’ll be expected to work as a team member. Far more than observing and definitely fully active participant. You may have university work to do while on placement too. Basically your placement is equivalent to a full time job. Some of the details you asked will depend on which university but I am a practice educator (I take social work students on placement - or rather, I did because I don’t have time now). As for the work I did, it’s not really relevant. I had a bursary and packed as many hours I could into holidays and weekends. Also it was a part time contract - not zero hours so I got holiday pay.
    I understand it would depend on the university, trouble is their lips are sealed on the matter and given that the hours vary from university to university I can only speculate as to the differences.

That said I wasn't asking what job you were doing, I was just wondering if it's feasible getting by without necessarily getting into a loop where one must owe money. The bursary is a helping hand but from what I've seen so far one must first be recommended for it by the university, and given you have to commit to it first, it's a cat in the sack.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.