Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently applying to university, hoping to do computer forensics and security, but I do not have prior knowledge to this course would this hold me back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinsperou)
    I am currently applying to university, hoping to do computer forensics and security, but I do not have prior knowledge to this course would this hold me back?
    No, not at all!. It's very difficult to get experience in Cyber Security before undergraduate level, and so I don't think they'd expect that at this level! Just an interest in the field, I feel, would suffice.

You'd probably be expected to have school level of understanding in Computing, like you would for an IT/CompSci degree.

I had no incline that Cyber Security was a field I'd fancy before university, and therefore had no previous experience in it. I was absolutely fine. In fact, I ended up doing an internship doing entirely Cyber Security at a large technology firm. They teach you a fair amount in the courses, so I honestly think you'll be fine.

I'd say that a really good practice is to follow things like Cybrary and BBC's Cyber Security news page fairly closely. One of the most important things in Cyber Security is to be up to date with the latest trends. It was one of the most encouraged things when I studied security.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.