Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My mum is doing her Social Work degree but in the Summer she was diagnosed with breast cancer which means due to surgery she hasnt been able to attend the first 3 weeks of 3rd year and will need atleast another 2 weeks off. She has a friend recording all lectures and sending them to her along with notes and slideshows etc.

She received an email that suggests that because her attendance has fallen below 80% she cannot continue her course? How can this be fair? She has has multiple surgeries and hospital appointments she has proof of.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahelliott14)
    My mum is doing her Social Work degree but in the Summer she was diagnosed with breast cancer which means due to surgery she hasnt been able to attend the first 3 weeks of 3rd year and will need atleast another 2 weeks off. She has a friend recording all lectures and sending them to her along with notes and slideshows etc.

She received an email that suggests that because her attendance has fallen below 80% she cannot continue her course? How can this be fair? She has has multiple surgeries and hospital appointments she has proof of.
    Has she sent all the evidence to them?

ReputationRep:

Is there any chance the email was auto-sent? The uni might have some system in place where an automatic email is sent out when attendance drops below 80%. In which case, it was probably sent as an error - in my experience, unis are generally very understanding when there's a legitimate reason for absence.

Alternatively, does your mum's course have a legal attendance requirement? E.g. with teaching there's a certain number of school placement days that all students have to meet in order to pass. And if you don't meet that requirement, regardless of reason, you legally can't be allowed to pass. (This is probably unlikely if it's just university-based classes that have been missed).

If she provides proof of illness & appointments, particularly supported by evidence that she's making efforts to catch up the work, I'd hope that'd be fine.
    If not, I'd say she had a case for discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 - this is usually talked about for disabled students but it applies to anyone with a long-term medical condition which impacts daily life (so I'd imagine cancer would be covered!) and universities should make reasonable adjustments for students.

But most likely I'd guess it's an oversight. Sent in error or a case of different departments no communicating - e.g. if her course leader knows she's ill but it's not on the system or admin staff don't know.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    She needs to show them a referral letter, or most likely at least. i don't believe it is within their power to axe her from her course if she has proven and justifiable reasons. If there isn't any, then yes, legally they can. Morally, they should still try their best to be understanding.

All the best to your mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Has she sent all the evidence to them?
    No, she hasnt. But shes told them that shes doing it and theyre just saying 80% attendance is mandatory
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

I assume she informed her uni she would be away? Did she get any response?

I expect there was some sort of misunderstanding. These things are often done by different departments and it takes time for news to travel between them. Mine called on the morning of my surgery to ask if I was coming in despite me saying it was happening.

I suggest she (or somebody on her behalf if she is ill) goes in with the evidence and talks about it to make sure everything is okay. Being off because of illness and recording the lectures should have her covered.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No, she hasnt. But shes told them that shes doing it and theyre just saying 80% attendance is mandatory
    I think she should speak to the su and head of the course, if they have to have a set attendance there must be a way to make the time up at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    The University should have a method by which to suspend study. It may be that they are only able to suspend her for a year (or multiples of) rather than just for a few weeks, but that facility should be there. Your mum may need to suspend for a year, even if she feels able to resume much earlier, so that she can continue 'where she left off' one year earlier.

It absolutely makes sense for a University to be insisting on particular levels of attendance, but only if they can offer the option of temporarily suspending study for those in particular circumstances (and I would say that a long term illness like cancer should qualify for this).

And of course, I wish your mum and the rest of your family the best in the meantime.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.