The Student Room Group

Funding for Vet Med as a second degree?

Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help
Original post by michelleworth
Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help

The short of it, no. There’s no student loan for tuition fees, you get a maintenance loan but unfortunately not tuition. You do however get tuition fee loan for years 4 and 5, but that still leaves you with 3 x £9000 to pay before reaching 4th year. A level requirements vary depending on the university and the year of application, however with a degree you only have to have the Chem A level anyway, but the grade you’ll have to research yourself, it’s either A at as level or B at a level or something like that. You don’t have to pay the money upfront, however you do have to pay £3000 in 3 instalments.

Most manage by saving, having family help, or working during the degree but that’s not easy either.
Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/Advice%20Centre/Documents/2017%2018%20VETERINARY%20MEDICINE%20AS%20A%20SECOND%20DEGREE%20FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.
Original post by Popsicle_pirate
Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/Advice%20Centre/Documents/2017%2018%20VETERINARY%20MEDICINE%20AS%20A%20SECOND%20DEGREE%20FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.

It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.
Original post by Lizziefickling
It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.

Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!

Feel totally more at ease knowing my poor mother doesn’t have to shell out another £18,000 for 4th and 5th year! I’ve already got enough debt to pay back to her haha!
Reply 6
Feel totally more at ease knowing my poor mother doesn’t have to shell out another £18,000 for 4th and 5th year! I’ve already got enough debt to pay back to her haha!

Hi, I had called student finance before and asked about this but they said they wouldnt fund the fourth and fifth years either since I already had a degree in maths and it would be at the same level but since you’re saying you actually were entitled to it do you think I was misinformed? I really want to study vet med but it looks like it will financially challenge me, and you’ve given me some hope
Original post by ss504
Hi, I had called student finance before and asked about this but they said they wouldnt fund the fourth and fifth years either since I already had a degree in maths and it would be at the same level but since you’re saying you actually were entitled to it do you think I was misinformed? I really want to study vet med but it looks like it will financially challenge me, and you’ve given me some hope

Challenge them on it. You’ve only had 3 years of funding and other non grad students get 5 years, even 6. They’ve definitely paid out to my friend as well.
Reply 8
Challenge them on it. You’ve only had 3 years of funding and other non grad students get 5 years, even 6. They’ve definitely paid out to my friend as well.

Hey, I did some further research on this and read that apparently some universities award students with a BSc after the third year and then a BVSc after the final two years. I was just wondering wether you were awarded with a BSc after your third year as maybe that is why you were able to get a tuition fee loan for the final 2 years, as its at a higher level than your first degree?
Original post by ss504
Hey, I did some further research on this and read that apparently some universities award students with a BSc after the third year and then a BVSc after the final two years. I was just wondering wether you were awarded with a BSc after your third year as maybe that is why you were able to get a tuition fee loan for the final 2 years, as its at a higher level than your first degree?

Nope. Liverpool don’t do a BSc after three years, that’s Notts as far as I’m aware. I already have a BSc from my previous degree and now doing the 5 year BVSc
Reply 10
Nope. Liverpool don’t do a BSc after three years, that’s Notts as far as I’m aware. I already have a BSc from my previous degree and now doing the 5 year BVSc

Oh i see. I guess I’ll have to try my luck as student finance are useless. Thanks alot for you help
I Am also in this situation! I read all these things about finance, convinced myself I could never do it. Here is what I have learned so far, and why I decided I was going to just go for it!

My situation: I am currently doing a degree in Software Engineering. I am about to complete my third year in industry (a paid industrial placement), then go into my final year (Sept. 2018). I decided I was going to save all of my placement money over the year, which is really going to help. I aim to save around 10000 pounds, though it's tough 😂 I have a low income family, so have no to minimal help from them. I am currently undertaking an a level in chemistry via evening courses while I work (AS and A2 in the one year) but my already achieved A levels are A*A*A and AA in my AS levels. Only science here is Biology, A*grade.

Student finance (northern Ireland SF, may be different for other student finance) will provide 4840 pound maximum maintenance loan per year if you study in the UK. If outside, I believe you do not get it.

Solution - Some unis have a lot more financial help available than others. One Of The best is Cambridge (Wolfson College) as that college has a 10-20,000 pound scholarship called the Alborada scholarship. With this scholarship and student finance, you are basically sorted. However, The obvious catch is that it's Cambridge. They will consider lower grades than the required A*A*A, if you have a first class honours degree, but this will required a chemistry A-level. If you take a level chemistry, it's still difficult as their natural science admission test is on maths, and a choice of 2from Chemistry/Biology/Physics. Pass that test, and you get to interview which is said to be quite science based and difficult. So while amazing scholarships and teaching, so hard to get into. I am going to try for it anyway (applying for 2019/20 entry), but my hopes are probably foolish.

The best best UK I have seen is Nottingham. Nottingham has a 6 year vet bed course, which you only need one of Bio and Chen a levels for. The 1st year is preliminary to teach you necessary Chem and bio if you have one missing, and the other 5 is as normal. Though stops need for a level chemistry, it's an extra year if fees and accommodation. They provide some scholarships, The core bursary (2000 a year) is eligible to graduate entry (not on website but i emailed and checked, currently we are eligible). There is also a graduate entry vet specific bursary fund you can apply to, but unlike core bursary it's not a garunteed bursary. Core bursary is also household income based, so may get less than 2000. Also has hardship fund, so can fundraise online etc. and if really struggling apply for hardship as a last resort.

The other UK unis don't have many scholarships other than the odd 1 grand scholarship or performance based grants, but none are garunteed like Nottingham's core bursary.

The other option is to go outside Of The UK, to a EAVAE accredited uni (so can practice in the UK). These tend to be 6 years, except Poland which is 5.5 years). These mostly have chemistry and biology entrance exams, however I've heard these are not particularly difficult (and the cheapest, Cluj Napoca, doesn't even have an entrance exam). Some say they require chemistry and biology high school level, but others just state 'high school level education certificate' so if learn enough to pass entrance exam you can still get into some of these. The are SO much cheaper than the UK, but you don't get maint loan.

Cluj Napoca is cheapest, accommodation for foreign students is 100 Euro per month, cheap living, and fees are 5000 Euro per month. You can get each year for 6000+ depending on your life style. The course is fully in English.

I can't remember all the fees for the English taught courses outside UK, but the cheapest were: Cluj (Romani), Kaunas (Lithuania), Kosice (Slovakia), Warsaw (Poland). Brno and Hungary also had English courses, but they were more expensive than those listed so I disregarded those as not worth givung up maint loan for.

So in conclusion, it's possible to do it without tuition fee loan. If you work for a year and do A level chemistry like I have, your options widen and it becomes much more financially viable. The UK unis will be harder to fund, but do have benefits like more hardship support, easier to find term time work, not having to completely relocate to a completely foreign country etc. Though entry into non-UK is A LOT easier. Poland allows you to secure your place very early by opting to pay your fees early.

I intend to try get an A or A* in my chemistry this year. I will be applying to: Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol, Surrey.

Abroad, I will be applying to Cluj Napoca, Romania, and Kocise, Slovakia.

I will not be applying for Edinburgh or Glasgow, as these are basically impossible to find as a second degree unless you are rich. The living costs are nuts and barely any scholarships or bursaries.

Here is a website on How To fundraise (by a vet who fundraised and got all the fund she required to attend and complete a full vet med degree in Kocise Slovakia, now qualified).

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~fisher/

Here is also a link to the digglers charitable trust, which helps graduate entry vets to fundraise, also used by the person above to fundraise.

http://www.thedigglers.co.uk/bursary_index.php
I hope this helped, because it's my general knowledge from a year of researching and hoping to find a way!

I still can't fund all my year (only 2-4 of 5, depending on the uni in question), but I know with term time work and fundraising I should be able to pull it off (roughly 😂)

I'll also add that Nottingham has very reasonably priced part-catered accommodation in their vets campus, which provides your main dinner 5 days a week. If you share bathroom and kitchen (standard uni accommodation), it's 5500 ish for room and part cater, ensuite goes up to 6000. With their core bursary, means you can get very good price on living.

OK I'll shut up not! If anyone wants to chat or exchange info, please PM me 😁 GL to everyone in the same position!
Reply 13

@lizziefickling - did you get SFE to pay you these tuition fees for your final years or are you just hoping they will stick to their word?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ness
@lizziefickling - did you get SFE to pay you these tuition fees for your final years or are you just hoping they will stick to their word?

They are paying all my friends final 2 years no issues
Im finishing a degree in biology and am on track to get a 2.1, looking to do the veterinary surgeon degree 4 or 5 year at Bristol or London, as theyre closest to home, looking to apply this 2019, but same as you lot i have no money and cant sponge off my parents forever.When u say SFE are paying for your friends final 2 years is that on the 4 or 5 year course?? I could really do with the 9k a year being vaguely covered!
Original post by Anna12434455
Im finishing a degree in biology and am on track to get a 2.1, looking to do the veterinary surgeon degree 4 or 5 year at Bristol or London, as theyre closest to home, looking to apply this 2019, but same as you lot i have no money and cant sponge off my parents forever.When u say SFE are paying for your friends final 2 years is that on the 4 or 5 year course?? I could really do with the 9k a year being vaguely covered!

The rationale is that your first degree they paid for 3 years, but the vet degree is 5 years in total so they pay the last 2 years. I suspect for a 4 year course they will only fund the last year (ie you already had 3 years of funding) but maybe try phoning them? The rules might have changes since last year...
Fair enough thanks!

Do you have anymore funding ideas for a degree? Are there any options for loans with low interest and pay back. I really need to look into into more to hopefully stress less!
Reply 18
Hi there, I see this post is over a year old. I'm in a similar situation to you and wondering how you've gotten on?
Reply 19
Original post by jburnside615
I Am also in this situation! I read all these things about finance, convinced myself I could never do it. Here is what I have learned so far, and why I decided I was going to just go for it!

My situation: I am currently doing a degree in Software Engineering. I am about to complete my third year in industry (a paid industrial placement), then go into my final year (Sept. 2018). I decided I was going to save all of my placement money over the year, which is really going to help. I aim to save around 10000 pounds, though it's tough 😂 I have a low income family, so have no to minimal help from them. I am currently undertaking an a level in chemistry via evening courses while I work (AS and A2 in the one year) but my already achieved A levels are A*A*A and AA in my AS levels. Only science here is Biology, A*grade.

Student finance (northern Ireland SF, may be different for other student finance) will provide 4840 pound maximum maintenance loan per year if you study in the UK. If outside, I believe you do not get it.

Solution - Some unis have a lot more financial help available than others. One Of The best is Cambridge (Wolfson College) as that college has a 10-20,000 pound scholarship called the Alborada scholarship. With this scholarship and student finance, you are basically sorted. However, The obvious catch is that it's Cambridge. They will consider lower grades than the required A*A*A, if you have a first class honours degree, but this will required a chemistry A-level. If you take a level chemistry, it's still difficult as their natural science admission test is on maths, and a choice of 2from Chemistry/Biology/Physics. Pass that test, and you get to interview which is said to be quite science based and difficult. So while amazing scholarships and teaching, so hard to get into. I am going to try for it anyway (applying for 2019/20 entry), but my hopes are probably foolish.

The best best UK I have seen is Nottingham. Nottingham has a 6 year vet bed course, which you only need one of Bio and Chen a levels for. The 1st year is preliminary to teach you necessary Chem and bio if you have one missing, and the other 5 is as normal. Though stops need for a level chemistry, it's an extra year if fees and accommodation. They provide some scholarships, The core bursary (2000 a year) is eligible to graduate entry (not on website but i emailed and checked, currently we are eligible). There is also a graduate entry vet specific bursary fund you can apply to, but unlike core bursary it's not a garunteed bursary. Core bursary is also household income based, so may get less than 2000. Also has hardship fund, so can fundraise online etc. and if really struggling apply for hardship as a last resort.

The other UK unis don't have many scholarships other than the odd 1 grand scholarship or performance based grants, but none are garunteed like Nottingham's core bursary.

The other option is to go outside Of The UK, to a EAVAE accredited uni (so can practice in the UK). These tend to be 6 years, except Poland which is 5.5 years). These mostly have chemistry and biology entrance exams, however I've heard these are not particularly difficult (and the cheapest, Cluj Napoca, doesn't even have an entrance exam). Some say they require chemistry and biology high school level, but others just state 'high school level education certificate' so if learn enough to pass entrance exam you can still get into some of these. The are SO much cheaper than the UK, but you don't get maint loan.

Cluj Napoca is cheapest, accommodation for foreign students is 100 Euro per month, cheap living, and fees are 5000 Euro per month. You can get each year for 6000+ depending on your life style. The course is fully in English.

I can't remember all the fees for the English taught courses outside UK, but the cheapest were: Cluj (Romani), Kaunas (Lithuania), Kosice (Slovakia), Warsaw (Poland). Brno and Hungary also had English courses, but they were more expensive than those listed so I disregarded those as not worth givung up maint loan for.

So in conclusion, it's possible to do it without tuition fee loan. If you work for a year and do A level chemistry like I have, your options widen and it becomes much more financially viable. The UK unis will be harder to fund, but do have benefits like more hardship support, easier to find term time work, not having to completely relocate to a completely foreign country etc. Though entry into non-UK is A LOT easier. Poland allows you to secure your place very early by opting to pay your fees early.

I intend to try get an A or A* in my chemistry this year. I will be applying to: Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol, Surrey.

Abroad, I will be applying to Cluj Napoca, Romania, and Kocise, Slovakia.

I will not be applying for Edinburgh or Glasgow, as these are basically impossible to find as a second degree unless you are rich. The living costs are nuts and barely any scholarships or bursaries.

Here is a website on How To fundraise (by a vet who fundraised and got all the fund she required to attend and complete a full vet med degree in Kocise Slovakia, now qualified).

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~fisher/

Here is also a link to the digglers charitable trust, which helps graduate entry vets to fundraise, also used by the person above to fundraise.

http://www.thedigglers.co.uk/bursary_index.php

Hi there, I see this post is over a year old. I'm in a similar situation to you and wondering how you've gotten on?

Latest