Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelleworth)
    Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help
    The short of it, no. There’s no student loan for tuition fees, you get a maintenance loan but unfortunately not tuition. You do however get tuition fee loan for years 4 and 5, but that still leaves you with 3 x £9000 to pay before reaching 4th year. A level requirements vary depending on the university and the year of application, however with a degree you only have to have the Chem A level anyway, but the grade you’ll have to research yourself, it’s either A at as level or B at a level or something like that. You don’t have to pay the money upfront, however you do have to pay £3000 in 3 instalments.

Most manage by saving, having family help, or working during the degree but that’s not easy either.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/...FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
    Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/...FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.
    It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.
    Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!
    Feel totally more at ease knowing my poor mother doesn’t have to shell out another £18,000 for 4th and 5th year! I’ve already got enough debt to pay back to her haha!

ReputationRep:
    Feel totally more at ease knowing my poor mother doesn’t have to shell out another £18,000 for 4th and 5th year! I’ve already got enough debt to pay back to her haha!

Hi, I had called student finance before and asked about this but they said they wouldnt fund the fourth and fifth years either since I already had a degree in maths and it would be at the same level but since you’re saying you actually were entitled to it do you think I was misinformed? I really want to study vet med but it looks like it will financially challenge me, and you’ve given me some hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss504)
    Hi, I had called student finance before and asked about this but they said they wouldnt fund the fourth and fifth years either since I already had a degree in maths and it would be at the same level but since you’re saying you actually were entitled to it do you think I was misinformed? I really want to study vet med but it looks like it will financially challenge me, and you’ve given me some hope
    Challenge them on it. You’ve only had 3 years of funding and other non grad students get 5 years, even 6. They’ve definitely paid out to my friend as well.

ReputationRep:
    Challenge them on it. You’ve only had 3 years of funding and other non grad students get 5 years, even 6. They’ve definitely paid out to my friend as well.
    Hey, I did some further research on this and read that apparently some universities award students with a BSc after the third year and then a BVSc after the final two years. I was just wondering wether you were awarded with a BSc after your third year as maybe that is why you were able to get a tuition fee loan for the final 2 years, as its at a higher level than your first degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss504)
    Hey, I did some further research on this and read that apparently some universities award students with a BSc after the third year and then a BVSc after the final two years. I was just wondering wether you were awarded with a BSc after your third year as maybe that is why you were able to get a tuition fee loan for the final 2 years, as its at a higher level than your first degree?
    Nope. Liverpool don’t do a BSc after three years, that’s Notts as far as I’m aware. I already have a BSc from my previous degree and now doing the 5 year BVSc

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Liverpool don’t do a BSc after three years, that’s Notts as far as I’m aware. I already have a BSc from my previous degree and now doing the 5 year BVSc
    Oh i see. I guess I’ll have to try my luck as student finance are useless. Thanks alot for you help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.