Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelleworth)
    Is there any funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree?

The thing is, I have a first class BSc but it isn't in a biological sciences subject (physics) so graduate courses won't accept me. I have AABB at A level, and I think entry requirements are usually AAA? I could sit another A level if necessary, but I would like to know if there is any funding for Vet Med as a second degree, as I don't have £45,000 to pay upfront over the 5 years.

Thanks for any help
    The short of it, no. There’s no student loan for tuition fees, you get a maintenance loan but unfortunately not tuition. You do however get tuition fee loan for years 4 and 5, but that still leaves you with 3 x £9000 to pay before reaching 4th year. A level requirements vary depending on the university and the year of application, however with a degree you only have to have the Chem A level anyway, but the grade you’ll have to research yourself, it’s either A at as level or B at a level or something like that. You don’t have to pay the money upfront, however you do have to pay £3000 in 3 instalments.

Most manage by saving, having family help, or working during the degree but that’s not easy either.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/...FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
    Hi, as above the short answer is no unfortunately.

This document summarises the situation quite well (by the RVC and aimed at people applying for their 4 year graduate entry course but the info in terms of funding for a second degree is still fairly relevant) -

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/...FOR%20UK-1.pdf

I was under the impression no tuition loan was possible for Vet Med as a second degree but if you could get one in your final years as above I suppose that would ease the burden somewhat.
    It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    It’s something we figured out we were allowed when we got into our 4th year. It’s because the initial degree done is always 3 years long, and the vet degree is 5/6, therefore students have only had 3/5 or 6 years of that funding. It’s not something SFE make public knowledge they are sneaky about it, we had to ring up and ask/apply and hope for the best then actually got confused when it was accepted.
    Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Good for you! I had no idea about this but it makes total sense!
    Feel totally more at ease knowing my poor mother doesn’t have to shell out another £18,000 for 4th and 5th year! I’ve already got enough debt to pay back to her haha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.