The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by graphicsturtle
for the essay when it says to explain the reasoning behind the statement is it enough to explain the statement as an intro and then later do a paragraph explaining reasons why some people would agree with it? im panicking cause idk if that properly/explicitly counts as explaining the reasoning :redface:

yes yes it does. its fine relax. you can have like 1 paragraph explaining and supporting the statement then one arguing against it then a conclusion/your opinion thing or 1 paragraph explaining only if its a dense statement 1 paragraph arguing for 1 against 1 conclusion/opinion
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
S3 had the worst combination of essay titles than any other S3 I've done before...I put down a load of rubbish.

THIS.

The questions were actually a joke, and I found it so hard to think up examples for any of them. I mind-blanked and changed my question halfway through the exam, and then ran out of time for my conclusion... which made me miss out one of the mini questions.
Original post by Cor395
yes yes it does. its fine relax. you can have like 1 paragraph explaining and supporting the statement then one arguing against it then a conclusion/your opinion thing or 1 paragraph explaining only if its a dense statement 1 paragraph arguing for 1 against 1 conclusion/opinion

okay thank you so much for putting my mind at rest a bit! :smile:
Guys if you're ever worried about your score the world might be ending before results day any way

http://www.viralthread.com/dont-panic-earthquake-apocalypse-going-end-world-november/?utm_source=smob&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6145&umtscde=12es1&umtctd=ZGk2eGhwZG5weDY

No but on a serious note... I nearly mentally died in that exam
guys i think i misinterpreted the question in section 3 :frown: will i get marks deducted
Reply 145
If the content of your essay is poor but you've addressed all the sub questions, what is the max score you could get?
Original post by CRTGG
If the content of your essay is poor but you've addressed all the sub questions, what is the max score you could get?

honestly poor content but good english good structure relevant examples and adessing all sub question can get you a 3/3.5A (depends on how harsh your examiners are)
Original post by CRTGG

3A
Original post by CRTGG

going by the marking criteria as long as you have a range of points for both sides (even if they're terrible lol) potentially 4 i would say
Original post by yesmynameis
guys i think i misinterpreted the question in section 3 :frown: will i get marks deducted

you can't really "misinterpret" it since the statement is given in a way that allows you to interpret it however you see fit. just make sure that you explained what YOU understood from the statement or make sure that the way you interpreted it can be seen in your essay.
Original post by Cor395
you can't really "misinterpret" it since the statement is given in a way that allows you to interpret it however you see fit. just make sure that you explained what YOU understood from the statement or make sure that the way you interpreted it can be seen in your essay.

is it safe for me to discuss the question now? i would like to be more specific on how i interpreted it
Reply 151
Original post by graphicsturtle
going by the marking criteria as long as you have a range of points for both sides (even if they're terrible lol) potentially 4 i would say

What would take it to a 2?
is it safe for me to discuss the question now? i would like to be more specific on how i interpreted it

i dont know but to be safe pm me. or there was a link posted somewhere here about this so that link might have the times by which everyone would have finished the exam

No. You can't discuss any specifics yet.

Thanks
Original post by CRTGG
What would take it to a 2?

to get a 2 you have to address most of the elements in the question in a reasonably logical way
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/20757-section-3-marking-criteria.pdf
the marking criteria can be found here
Original post by ForestCat
No. You can't discuss any specifics yet.

Thanks

Isn't the maximum time variation worldwide 12 hours. So surely it would be safe to discuss after 21:00 GMT?
Original post by DvsAmjed
Isn't the maximum time variation worldwide 12 hours. So surely it would be safe to discuss after 21:00 GMT?

Actually they've embargoed discussion until the 24th.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792
Question
Developed nations have an obligation to provide aid to the underdeveloped nations of the world.
Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a developed nation might not be obligated to provide aid to an underdeveloped nation. Discuss what you think should determine when developed nations have an obligation to provide aid to underdeveloped nations.
Essay
The above statement means that nations with greater wealth should help and support poorer nations. This aid may be money or labour. The reasoning behind this statement is that closing the inequality gap between nations is the developed countries’ duty. It also assumes that the developing countries allow other nations to aid them.
However, a situation where this statement may be false is when the undeveloped nations’ problems arise from their own misdemeanours, which they have been warned against. If an underdeveloped nation commits a crime of humanity, it is debatable whether developed nations should give them aid.
Regardless of the example above, there are many good reasons as to why developed nations should help their less wealthy peers. Firstly, this act will help decrease world hunger and poverty. Since most of the poor reside in these undeveloped countries, an act of kindness and the distribution of supplies will help save lives. Secondly, aid will help stabilize the world community. Giving aid to underdeveloped states will help decrease the risk of epidemics, a result from hygienic supplies and utilities the developed nations offer. Thirdly, helping underdeveloped nations will give developing nations financial benefits. Building roads and improving living conditions will help increase the productivity of factories set in underdeveloped nations.
In my opinion, believing that developed countries should help underdeveloped ones is the correct stance. Not only are the reasons supporting this are numerous, but the situation rebutting this statement rarely happens.
How did everybody do!
Original post by try hard
How did everybody do!

howd you do for your bmat!

Latest

Trending

Trending