Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FB Friend from another country....my parents won't let me talk to him. Watch

So about a year ago I became friends with a guy on Fb...and obviously we started getting to know each other on other social media platforms.We got to the point where we literally told each other everything and talked almost everyday. He is from another country but I came to realise he lives in the same area as my grandparents and where i go on holiday so thought I had a chance to meet him. We supported each other through a lot of things and ups and downs. I really like him and he is such a great friend. Dw it's not like a relationship cos he had a gf recently but did break up with her.. anyways, i told my mum ,she was supportive but my family found out and told me i shouldn't carry on becuase he is a stranger and that i should focus on my A levels,etc. My mum doesn't seem to want him and i to keep talking either & I get that he is a stranger but i practically have talked to him on the phone, know how he looks like and have sent him a gift to his address so i'm damn sure he is not a fako... I have so much respect for him and still want to continue my friendship with him in future...he said he won't give up on me/our friendship even in worst situations but I am not allowed to talk with him....i have told him this briefly and I do miss him a lot but don't know whether to catch up with him in the future when we r a bit more older and make our own choices in life...

ReputationRep:
    What if you told your mum to come with you to your grandparents' house? Then you go to see him, but that way she is in the local area in case you need her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So about a year ago I became friends with a guy on Fb...and obviously we started getting to know each other on other social media platforms.We got to the point where we literally told each other everything and talked almost everyday. He is from another country but I came to realise he lives in the same area as my grandparents and where i go on holiday so thought I had a chance to meet him. We supported each other through a lot of things and ups and downs. I really like him and he is such a great friend. Dw it's not like a relationship cos he had a gf recently but did break up with her.. anyways, i told my mum ,she was supportive but my family found out and told me i shouldn't carry on becuase he is a stranger and that i should focus on my A levels,etc. My mum doesn't seem to want him and i to keep talking either & I get that he is a stranger but i practically have talked to him on the phone, know how he looks like and have sent him a gift to his address so i'm damn sure he is not a fako... I have so much respect for him and still want to continue my friendship with him in future...he said he won't give up on me/our friendship even in worst situations but I am not allowed to talk with him....i have told him this briefly and I do miss him a lot but don't know whether to catch up with him in the future when we r a bit more older and make our own choices in life...

When you're older you'll probably barely remember him!

How do you know he is definitely who he says he is? Have you spoken on facetime? Talking on the phone it could be anyone at the other end.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.