Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I want to apply for St Andrews to study History with A*AB predicteds. My A* is in history so i'm hoping that would help. Would I get an offer for an AAA history course then?

Any advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I do not know about St Andrews but I applied for UCL with an A*AB prediction and got rejected. Anyways it was not my first choice so I was not too annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJonno91)
    Hi guys, I want to apply for St Andrews to study History with A*AB predicteds. My A* is in history so i'm hoping that would help. Would I get an offer for an AAA history course then?

Any advice appreciated.
    Why don't you email the relevant faculty? They may give you an offer, but the offer will be AAA

ReputationRep:
    Ask them. A lot of universities do mix and match with the grades but some don't. Sometimes it depends on the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJonno91)

Any advice appreciated.
    Probably not.

Most Russell Group and other high-level (and I use that term to mean high offers) universities do not consider UCAS points, or otherwise take equivalencies between A-levels. A*A*B would not usually meet an AAA offer. However, different universities show differing amounts of discretion when it comes to offers (Oxford, for example, will not usually waver from their standard offer, and A*AB could not be taken for AAA), and I have read on the St Andrews website that offers could be higher or lower than the standard offer, dependent on circumstances.

With that said I don't think you could rule out being offered a place at AAB (or possibly A*AB), particularly if you are capable of an otherwise-strong application. It is also likely to be dependent on any contextual information available regarding your schooling - if you've been attending poorly-performing schools then this might make a difference.

Ultimately though you have nothing to lose by simply contacting St Andrews and asking them. The worst that can happen is they tell you won't be able to make a competitive application, and then you free up a UCAS choice. The best case is that they say you have a chance, and then you get to apply and be considered!

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the Uni - and on the subject.

Many Unis make what they call 'aspirational' offers - ie. where predictions are one grade off their ideal requirements. The offer will still be AAA and therefore they will expect you to lift that B grade (because they wont accept points equivalent).

Trouble is that you wont know if your Uni does this for that subject. So it is guesswork - and risky.
    Worth one choice like this - but make sure that the others are more realistic.
    And dont forget to add a lower Insurance choice (BBB etc).

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews is fairly competitive, my friend was rejected from modern history with A*AA predictions last year. Hopefully, your statement and previous grades are better than his.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.