Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be an Anesthesiologist but being an international student is making my dream a lot difficult. It's obviously too late to apply for medicine for other universities since I haven't even written bmat or ukcat. My scholarship doesn't want to pay for traveling so my only options are
    A. UCLan Medicine
    B. Biomedical engineering then GEM
    C. Try another country
    . Please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlameloisstrange)
    I want to be an Anesthesiologist but being an international student is making my dream a lot difficult. It's obviously too late to apply for medicine for other universities since I haven't even written bmat or ukcat. My scholarship doesn't want to pay for traveling so my only options are
    A. UCLan Medicine
    C. Try another country
    . Please help.

I would honestly go for option B if your heart is set on the UK, GEM is much more competitive but UCLan has only recently been approved by the GMC so I'm not sure about the program. How are your grades?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    A. UCLan Medicine
    C. Try another country
    . Please help.
    A is not an option IMO - bucks and uclan, whilst affiliated with different medical schools, arent actually supported by the GMC (according to GMC website) and they charge UK students riddiculous amounts of money / I have heard about student finance being iffy on them.

B - interesting route although try keeping options open for contigency subjects / career pathways.

C- worth looking into but brexit may complicate things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky_Way)
    I would honestly go for option B if your heart is set on the UK, GEM is much more competitive but UCLan has only recently been approved by the GMC so I'm not sure about the program. How are your grades?
    I got 4As for AS and I'm predicted A*A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    A is not an option IMO - bucks and uclan, whilst affiliated with different medical schools, arent actually supported by the GMC (according to GMC website) and they charge UK students riddiculous amounts of money / I have heard about student finance being iffy on them.

B - interesting route although try keeping options open for contigency subjects / career pathways.

C- worth looking into but brexit may complicate things
    Can I apply for Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin as my back up ? My scholarship pays for everything until I get my PhD so money is not an issue from me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can I apply for Trinity College Dublin and University College Dublin as my back up ? My scholarship pays for everything until I get my PhD so money is not an issue from me.
    worth it I guess. Just check out their info tbh

ReputationRep:
    I think you should still trying applying to UCLan, at the same time, you should search more info on doing medicine outside the UK. I am currently doing medicine in another country and I will be doing year 3 to 5 in the UK and get the degree from the UK. Not sure if you want to do so.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    A. UCLan Medicine
    C. Try another country
    . Please help.
    Hey Tlameloisstrange,

Have you tried coming to visit UCLan at all? I know that you're international however if you could come for a visit then it may help you make your decision?

Or maybe you could get into contact with the school of medicine here and ask for some advice from them? http://www.uclan.ac.uk/schools/medicine/index.php

Although I don't study medicine myself, I know that the course is taught by experiences professionals and that the facilities and resources that we have here at UCLan is fabulous, the Medical Skills Suite for example which you can see here; http://www.uclan.ac.uk/schools/medic...-resources.php.

This is your decision but I hope I've helped even a little,
    Wendy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.