Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best investments with not that much money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to invest my money to hopefully increase it. However I only have about £6000 to invest. Any ideas on what small investments I can do?

ReputationRep:
    How long can you afford to be without it? How much risk are you prepared to take?

ReputationRep:
    Bitcoin. If you put £6000 in it last week you would have £6000 + £1740 now. Gone up 29%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    How long can you afford to be without it? How much risk are you prepared to take?
    I can risk to be without the £6k for as long as necessary. However don't want to take too much risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylantombides)
    I can risk to be without the £6k for as long as necessary. However don't want to take too much risk
    Premium Bonds, savings accounts and ISAs are the lowest risk, but equally they offer the lowest returns. For a new investor it's probably worth looking at those to start with. It's unlikely that anyone on TSR is qualified to give proper investment advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to invest my money to hopefully increase it. However I only have about £6000 to invest. Any ideas on what small investments I can do?
    What emergency savings do you have?

Are you saving for anything in particular (eg; house, wedding, retirement)?

Can you afford to lose a substantial amount of the money invested (ie; 30-50+%) or have to wait 10+ years for that investment to rise again in value?

Those answers will shape the size and nature of your investment.

(Original post by Duncan2012)
    Premium Bonds, savings accounts and ISAs are the lowest risk, but equally they offer the lowest returns. For a new investor it's probably worth looking at those to start with. It's unlikely that anyone on TSR is qualified to give proper investment advice.
    Cash, cash ISAs and premium bonds are not "Investments", they're simply savings vehicles.

Over time the potential "profits" are tiny and in the current economic climate their value is actually decreasing with inflation.

(Original post by Craig Davison)
    Bitcoin. If you put £6000 in it last week you would have £6000 + £1740 now. Gone up 29%.
    Bitcoin is largely speculation/gambling rather than a true investment.

Bitcoin, or another cryptocurrency (or gold), may feature as a small part of a diversified portfolio but I wouldn't invest a significant proportion of my net worth in Bitcoin. I wouldn't risk my retirement on a speculative investment that might be worth a fraction of it's current value in 10-30 years time.

ReputationRep:
    If you're into your football try Football Index.

You can try £500 for a week risk free.

Essentially buying shares in football players and the share price will increase if the player performs well or has a lot of media attention.

So if you were willing to hold it, split the £6,000 between Gabriel Jesus at £3.66 a share & Marco Asensio at £2.21 a share.

Leave that for a year, you'll be laughing. You also get dividends along the way as well.

goo.gl/MChvDT - Sign up here for your risk free 7 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    If you're into your football try Football Index.

You can try £500 for a week risk free.

Essentially buying shares in football players and the share price will increase if the player performs well or has a lot of media attention.

So if you were willing to hold it, split the £6,000 between Gabriel Jesus at £3.66 a share & Marco Asensio at £2.21 a share.

Leave that for a year, you'll be laughing. You also get dividends along the way as well.

goo.gl/MChvDT - Sign up here for your risk free 7 days.
    This is not an investment but a gambling enterprise modelled on a Fantasy-Football/Stock-Market Simulator. After 3 years your forfeit your "shares" and dividends unless you keep paying more cash in and "rolling over" your bets.

The only reason you are promoting it is to secure a referral bonus.

If you are genuinely interested in investing avoid at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    This is not an investment but a gambling enterprise modelled on a Fantasy-Football/Stock-Market Simulator. After 3 years your forfeit your "shares" and dividends unless you keep paying more cash in and "rolling over" your bets.

The only reason you are promoting it is to secure a referral bonus.

If you are genuinely interested in investing avoid at all costs.
    I'm promoting it because not many people will have heard about it, and its something that may be more suited to the OP, considering what he/she has said.

Is there a referral bonus? Yeah of course there is, but, that's not the sole reason I'm promoting it.

Let me ask you this, if you could get 30% return in 6-9 months, why wouldn't you do it? You are going to struggle to find that sort of ROI with the liquidity that this has, in fact I'd go as far to say that you won't find that return anywhere else.

If you are genuinely interested, weigh up the pros and cons, don't just think its all about the referral bonus, because it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utr)
    I'm promoting it because not many people will have heard about it, and its something that may be more suited to the OP, considering what he/she has said.

Is there a referral bonus? Yeah of course there is, but, that's not the sole reason I'm promoting it.

Let me ask you this, if you could get 30% return in 6-9 months, why wouldn't you do it? You are going to struggle to find that sort of ROI with the liquidity that this has, in fact I'd go as far to say that you won't find that return anywhere else.

If you are genuinely interested, weigh up the pros and cons, don't just think its all about the referral bonus, because it isn't.
    That's because its a form of gambling, not investing, and carries a much higher risk of loss of capital.

There is an old saying if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Anybody who talks of returns of 45-60% a year low risk, or even "risk free", is either significantly underestimating the risk or being deliberately dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    That's because its a form of gambling, not investing, and carries a much higher risk of loss of capital.

There is an old saying if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Anybody who talks of returns of 45-60% a year low risk, or even "risk free", is either significantly underestimating the risk or being deliberately dishonest.
    Yeah of course, I totally agree with that. There's nothing risk free about it, the only thing that is risk free is the initial seven days, as I said in my original post.

Each to their own.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    With a fairly small amount of money i would look to savings accounts yielding 3%+, the cash LISA or possibly corporate bonds. An ETF too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.