The Student Room Group

I'm not learning anything in physics

Hi! I've just started yr10 and I have very quickly realised that my physics teacher can't teach in a way I can learn from. He talks non stop about nothing for most of the lessons and won't give us a work pack everyone else in the year has. I have asked many times for extra work but he hasn't given me anything yet. I can't swap classes because it doesn't count as a valid reason and I will have him in yr 11 as well.

Does anyone know any good revision guides?
Original post by HockeyTilly
Hi! I've just started yr10 and I have very quickly realised that my physics teacher can't teach in a way I can learn from. He talks non stop about nothing for most of the lessons and won't give us a work pack everyone else in the year has. I have asked many times for extra work but he hasn't given me anything yet. I can't swap classes because it doesn't count as a valid reason and I will have him in yr 11 as well.

For GCSEs if you're someone who's just naturally smart and get things you can probably get an A* just going through an exam board endorsed textbook + Revision guide , I say exam board endorsed textbook because a revision guide is very basic and won't cover absolutely everything that can come up. So using the above plus doing past papers, exam questions and a few textbook questions sshould be good enough

Plus since your year has no coursework it makes things easier as coursework is often dependent on how good your teacher and group is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Popsiclez
For GCSEs if you're someone who's just naturally smart and get things you can probably get an A* just going through an exam board endorsed textbook + Revision guide , I say exam board endorsed textbook because a revision guide is very basic and won't cover absolutely everything that can come up. So using the above plus doing past papers, exam questions and a few textbook questions sshould be good enough

Plus since your year has no coursework it makes things easier as coursework is often dependent on how good your teacher and group is.

Thanks!! I'll look one up.
Reply 3
You said "it doesn't count as a valid reason" however I'm pretty sure if your really determined then tell your parents about how bad he is then get them to complain to the school
Reply 4
Original post by Zoe Lea
You said "it doesn't count as a valid reason" however I'm pretty sure if your really determined then tell your parents about how bad he is then get them to complain to the school

I'm considering doing that but I've complained before about maths so I don't want to seem a bit whiny

That is my last resort though
Reply 5
I'm considering doing that but I've complained before about maths so I don't want to seem a bit whiny

That is my last resort though

I know how you feel; was in the same position at your age but honestly it your education so please don't feel like your being annoying, its the school that's beening annoying not you
Reply 6
Original post by Zoe Lea
I know how you feel; was in the same position at your age but honestly it your education so please don't feel like your being annoying, its the school that's beening annoying not you

Thanks! I'll probably wait a bit as I have a topic test coming up so I can see where's am in relation to other classes
Personally, i am not fond of physics but my target grade is high... However, if you feel like you literally do not learn things from what he is saying, whip your book or get a notebook and write or the important stuff he is saying down and used them as revision guides. I do that a lot as my teacher does talk a lot and i find it easy to just write stuff down!! It may seem weird in class at first and you may get looked at but hey, you get the better grade after all!! Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Taz554:-)
Personally, i am not fond of physics but my target grade is high... However, if you feel like you literally do not learn things from what he is saying, whip your book or get a notebook and write or the important stuff he is saying down and used them as revision guides. I do that a lot as my teacher does talk a lot and i find it easy to just write stuff down!! It may seem weird in class at first and you may get looked at but hey, you get the better grade after all!! Hope this helped :smile:

Thanks! Physics isn't my favourite either but I want to go into STEM so what can you do...?

The CGP ones are pretty good. Go through that, learn the content then just do as many past paper questions, past papers (if you are new spec do the ones the exam boards give out as well). Read all the mark schemes and examiner reports & you should get an A*
Original post by 12ksmith
The CGP ones are pretty good. Go through that, learn the content then just do as many past paper questions, past papers (if you are new spec do the ones the exam boards give out as well). Read all the mark schemes and examiner reports & you should get an A*

Thanks! I'll probably start taking my own notes from textbooks/ revision guides at hime
Thanks! I'll probably start taking my own notes from textbooks/ revision guides at hime

Yeah. If your sitting your exams this coming year, make sure you have learned all the content by feb at the latest. Then from then just keep going over past papers, ms, examiner reports and so forth until you can get 100 percent or a few marks off in all the past papers
Yeah. If your sitting your exams this coming year, make sure you have learned all the content by feb at the latest. Then from then just keep going over past papers, ms, examiner reports and so forth until you can get 100 percent or a few marks off in all the past papers

My exams are next year but I'm going to start going over things about then for mocks in June/ July
My exams are next year but I'm going to start going over things about then for mocks in June/ July

Ah okay, you have plenty of time then
Ah okay, you have plenty of time then

Yup! Glad its not yr 11...
Thanks! Physics isn't my favourite either but I want to go into STEM so what can you do...?

Same... If you want to go into medicine you need to do Chemistry and Biology and other sciences you need to do chemistry and your chosen applied science. I am in yr 9 and i hate physics so in my lessons i just write the important stuff down and at exam time, i just turn them into revision cards. It ALWAYS works!!! Its a good hack tbh :smile:
Original post by Taz554:-)
Same... If you want to go into medicine you need to do Chemistry and Biology and other sciences you need to do chemistry and your chosen applied science. I am in yr 9 and i hate physics so in my lessons i just write the important stuff down and at exam time, i just turn them into revision cards. It ALWAYS works!!! Its a good hack tbh :smile:

That is what I'm currently doing and yh, it does always work for me as well
I am literally in EXACTLY the same situation as you. I'm finding physics boring and hard enough as it is and the teacher isn't helping.

I sympathize. My teachers are a mix of the good and bad, so for the bad ones I've basically had to go off and teach myself with Youtube videos and revision guides. I recommend the CGP guides. They're not too long and bloated, and cover the stuff in the minimum number of pages, which I like.
Update: I have annoyed the teacher so much about practice questions and syllabuses that he has now given a massive booklet to the whole class.
Success!!

Quick Reply