Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently a 3rd year studying Human Geography and hoping to go to Bristol/ Exeter for an MSc in International Relations. I've put in international relations postgraduate personal statements on google and not had much luck in finding a specific example, only generic layouts. Anyone know a link to a specific example?

Is there anything I should specifically mention? Naturally there will be a substantial difference between the two subjects (and the level of study). I'm currently on an overall of 74% so aiming for a first at undergrad level.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Surely it is similar to an undergraduate one? Discussing what you find interesting and how you've worked / studied around the area?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How come you are going from Geog to IR? Geography to ID or something I can understand by IR is quite a leap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    How come you are going from Geog to IR? Geography to ID or something I can understand by IR is quite a leap.
    With Human Geog it's more anthropological - modules I take are quite heavily influenced in politics (I also do no physical modules i.e. vulcanicity etc), e.g. investigating why poverty is so rife in Africa and attributing it to imperialism and the extraction of resources. We also focus on China as an emerging power on the global stage and what impact it will have in the future etc. This is what sparked my interest in international relations, modules such as "India: an emerging power" at Bristol is something i'd be extremely interested in.

I've also decided I would like to join the civil service as a foreign diplomat having decided the army was not for me after 3 years in the OTC. I know a masters is not essential but I just have a desire to do one. I've also spoken to my course leader who mentioned former students going on to UCL and Bristol to do international relations so i'm hoping it's not too much of a leap.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam7443)
    I've also decided I would like to join the civil service.
    Says every person I know (including myself) doing IR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    Surely it is similar to an undergraduate one? Discussing what you find interesting and how you've worked / studied around the area?
    That's the thing, I've seen many quite different examples, some saying "I have read 'x' by Prof 'x' at your university" and gone into details, others simply expressing an interest in the field so i'm not sure of the level of detail necessary. Exeter have a brief template which helps but Bristol is my first choice. I also have little experience in the field, only 3 years working in the Army with the UOTC which really sparked my interest in politics and relations globally etc

ReputationRep:
    Says every person I know (including myself) doing IR.
    So i've heard... Fortunately I have Canadian citizenship so that could be another avenue to explore
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam7443)
    That's the thing, I've seen many quite different examples, some saying "I have read 'x' by Prof 'x' at your university" and gone into details, others simply expressing an interest in the field so i'm not sure of the level of detail necessary. Exeter have a brief template which helps but Bristol is my first choice. I also have little experience in the field, only 3 years working in the Army with the UOTC which really sparked my interest in politics and relations globally etc
    I'm not entirely sure what you think IR is, you sound more suited to security studies to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Personal statement should be pretty similar in structure and content to undergrad - just better. Talk about your motivations for PG and what you want to do afterwords as well as identifying a couple of key people/courses in the Dept that you're interested in.

I'm not entirely sure what you think IR is, you sound more suited to security studies to be honest.
    Security studies is often taught as a subdiscipline of 'IR' (whatever we are defining IR as these days). Bristol's department has a strong focus on security studies. OP is fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.