Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on a year abroad program studying in Mexico at the moment. I have some questions as to what would happen to my finance if I dropped out next term,..

What would happen if I dropped mid term, would I have to repay my loan instantly or would they withdraw the money I have left?
    Please can you explain what would happen?
    Also is there another way to contact SFE other than phone as I am abroad?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nlstanton)
    I am on a year abroad program studying in Mexico at the moment. I have some questions as to what would happen to my finance if I dropped out next term,..

What would happen if I dropped mid term, would I have to repay my loan instantly or would they withdraw the money I have left?
    Please can you explain what would happen?
    Also is there another way to contact SFE other than phone as I am abroad?

Thanks

Hi nlstanton,

If you decide with your university that you are going to withdraw from your course.

Your university will advise us electronically, they will send us a Withdrawal notification.

Once processed your payments will stop immediately, we will then reassess your application.

Initially you were assessed for the whole academic year, we will reassess your application on a pro rata basis up until the date of your last attendance.

We will advise you how much you were entitled to for the length of time that you were actually there.
    That entitlement will not become repayable until the April following your withdrawal and only then, once you start earning over the threshold.

If you have received more than you were entitled to, you will receive a letter advising that you have been overpaid.
    The amount you have been overpaid is repayable immediately, there will be a number to call to make arrangements to repay any overpayments.

The amount you have been overpaid is repayable immediately

If you are sure that you are withdrawing, if you call us we can block your future payments, to avoid any overpayments.

Our contact details are

Student Finance England
    PO Box 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.