Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm a student from Slovakia who is dreaming of studying in the UK. After visiting UK a couple of times and reading lots of articles, browsing through uni websites and students forums I decided Glasgow and Liverpool would be the best cities for me to study in.

I have been to Liverpool for one month language course- it was a dream come true and I had the time of my life. I'm a huge Beatles and LFC fan and just love Scouse accent, Scousers and I know lots of people there- it feels like second home. Night life, city centre, people- everything's perfect. I found courses at Uni of Liverpool- Marketing with a year in industry and at Liverpol John Moores- Business and PR. However, studying in England is ridiculously expensive. I'm not sure if it's worth to take a student loan.

I’ve also been to Glasgow, I really liked it. University of Glasgow is a stunning building and the highest quality of the unis I chose. The city is rich in culture, concerts, young people, but the weather is really terrible. (I hate hot weather and I like rain, but this is just too much). It didn't feel like home, but I was there only for couple of days. I still enjoyed it tho, because it has this feeling of a north-west English industrial city that I love. I found the architecture quite similar to Liverpool and Manchester. People were also very nice and the night life was great. And the biggest advantage- the education is completely free for me, as I am an EU student. I found interesting courses- Business and Management at University of Glasgow and French and Marketing at University of Strathclyde.

So my questions are...Do you think the student loan in England is worth it? Do you think student life is better in Glasgow or Liverpool? Do you have any experience with any of these universities? Even if you don't, how about living in one of these cities? Any advice or opinion shared will be truly appreciated.Thanks a lot and sorry for the length of this post.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adkatabka)
    Hi everyone
    I'm a student from Slovakia who is dreaming of studying in the UK. After visiting UK a couple of times and reading lots of articles, browsing through uni websites and students forums I decided Glasgow and Liverpool would be the best cities for me to study in.

I have been to Liverpool for one month language course- it was a dream come true and I had the time of my life. I'm a huge Beatles and LFC fan and just love Scouse accent, Scousers and I know lots of people there- it feels like second home. Night life, city centre, people- everything's perfect. I found courses at Uni of Liverpool- Marketing with a year in industry and at Liverpol John Moores- Business and PR. However, studying in England is ridiculously expensive. I'm not sure if it's worth to take a student loan.

I’ve also been to Glasgow, I really liked it. University of Glasgow is a stunning building and the highest quality of the unis I chose. The city is rich in culture, concerts, young people, but the weather is really terrible. (I hate hot weather and I like rain, but this is just too much). It didn't feel like home, but I was there only for couple of days. I still enjoyed it tho, because it has this feeling of a north-west English industrial city that I love. I found the architecture quite similar to Liverpool and Manchester. People were also very nice and the night life was great. And the biggest advantage- the education is completely free for me, as I am an EU student. I found interesting courses- Business and Management at University of Glasgow and French and Marketing at University of Strathclyde.

So my questions are...Do you think the student loan in England is worth it? Do you think student life is better in Glasgow or Liverpool? Do you have any experience with any of these universities? Even if you don't, how about living in one of these cities? Any advice or opinion shared will be truly appreciated.Thanks a lot and sorry for the length of this post.
    Liverpool is a great city and is pretty cheap on living costs, the loan is for tution fees only in england and in scotland they are funded as well so the loan shouldnt make a massive difference in your decision.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Liverpudlian and love the city. It's in a great location to get to anywhere in the UK by train pretty quickly and, as mentioned, it has a low cost of living. I can't speak for Glasgow but I'm sure it's great as well. I'd recommend flipping a coin. As the coin sails through the air your heart will tell you what you really hope for.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is a nice city and uni (going to be one of my top choices) but Glasgow is more reputable, not to mention it would be free for you. It would only be worth you going to an English uni over Glasgow if it was significantly more reputable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "mature"student)
    Liverpool is a nice city and uni (going to be one of my top choices) but Glasgow is more reputable, not to mention it would be free for you. It would only be worth you going to an English uni over Glasgow if it was significantly more reputable.
    Good point. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officially)
    I'm a Liverpudlian and love the city. It's in a great location to get to anywhere in the UK by train pretty quickly and, as mentioned, it has a low cost of living. I can't speak for Glasgow but I'm sure it's great as well. I'd recommend flipping a coin. As the coin sails through the air your heart will tell you what you really hope for.
    It’s really hard, my heart says Liverpool, my brain says Glasgow. Thank you anyway, Liverpudlian!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Liverpool is a great city and is pretty cheap on living costs, the loan is for tution fees only in england and in scotland they are funded as well so the loan shouldnt make a massive difference in your decision.
    What do you mean? I think it makes a difference to study for free or for 9000£ a year doesn’t it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adkatabka)
    What do you mean? I think it makes a difference to study for free or for 9000£ a year doesn’t it?
    I mean you wouldnt get a living cost loan in either country, scotland would possibly be free yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I mean you wouldnt get a living cost loan in either country, scotland would possibly be free yes.
    Ah I see. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I come from and live in Glasgow ! Both cities are superb for nightlife ! Glasgow is larger and the city centre takes long to walk around were as Liverpool is more compact making every were accessible!Both cities have very similar people too.There's not much in it ! Down to preference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.