The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This thread has made me so happy. Costa hot chocolate is my favourite from a store, it’s gorgeous but we all know it’s pricey. I’m also very put off the McDonald’s hot chocolate since working there (it’s made from a thick syrup that kind of resembles treacle if you’re wondering.)

When at home I either use the Cadbury pods in our tassimo machine to make a hot chocolate or use a fairtrade cocoa that I own and make one with that and hot milk in the microwave, it’s like the best dupe for costa hot chocolate I can do!

Also can’t go wrong with a good bit of cream and marshmallows.

I have a hot chocolate like every day after college then wonder why I’m putting weight on haha!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I approve of this thread :ahee:

:yep:

Original post by Protostar
Omg I love hot chocolate :daydreaming: haven't had it in a while, but it's getting colder again now so that may change :excited:

Hate the ones you make with water, it's gotta be milk (almond milk tho cos cow's milk tastes awful to me lol). And the best instant one..... probably the galaxy one or the options white chocolate one :yep:

Definitely agree on the Galaxy :five: almond milk - it sounds nice, I wonder why haven't I heard of this thing before.

Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Homemade hot chocolate with cream, a flake and chocolate/ caramel syrup on a rainy morning when it’s dark enough to not get up yet, but light enough to open your curtains and watch British Bake Off before you have to start work..is the best.

^^ this sounds like a plan. :smile:

Original post by DrawTheLine
I recently bought Hotel Chocolat's milky hot chocolat and tried it last night. It took me about 30 minutes to make and it was... okay. Not worth the money imo but I'll obviously keep using it to use it up. I prefer the instant stuff. Cadbury's or Galaxy is awesome, although I love trying new ones. Gotta have mini marshmallows though.

I heard they were expensive:tongue: I would recommend asda's light instant hot chocolate + the m&m one. Avoid the mint Areo hot chocolate though.:frown:
(by the way, was hotel chocolat's cocoa not instant then if it took 30 mins to make?)

Original post by Carbon Dioxide
...For the genuinely confuzzled: Back in the day, there was a band called Hot Chocolate - scored various top-ten hits, but only one chart-topper (So You Win Again, 1977). Speaking of 70s bands, they're currently playing Queen covers on BBC Radio 2, but that's slightly less related to nice warm beverages than my previous musical topic of discussion...

Aaaah, right, (I like Radio 2, especially at 5 o clock on a Friday, + Queen are epic :smile:)
Original post by Sabertooth
There's a US supermarket chain called kroger and they have an own brand instant one with little mini marshmallows in. It is delicious, reasonably priced, and they don't skimp on the marshmallows either. I make it with water then top it off with some half cream and half milk. :drool:

Interesting :tongue: do you know if you can you buy it in the international aisle in uk supermarkets at all?

Original post by Paralove
Has to be with milk, not hot water. I quite liked Cadbury's but not much else in terms of what you can buy for home here, but since my year abroad in Spain, I've gotten used to their Colacao brand which is really nice. I brought a 800g tub back with me last month for uni lol.

I also like to buy a can of whipped cream to use on top.

Seems like I should try different methods of makig hot chocolate now :smile:
800g's of cocas fine - once I bought back several unusual flavoured, Milka chocolate when I went on a German exchange:redface:

Original post by EmilySarah00
This thread has made me so happy. Costa hot chocolate is my favourite from a store, it’s gorgeous but we all know it’s pricey. I’m also very put off the McDonald’s hot chocolate since working there (it’s made from a thick syrup that kind of resembles treacle if you’re wondering.)

When at home I either use the Cadbury pods in our tassimo machine to make a hot chocolate or use a fairtrade cocoa that I own and make one with that and hot milk in the microwave, it’s like the best dupe for costa hot chocolate I can do!

Also can’t go wrong with a good bit of cream and marshmallows.

I have a hot chocolate like every day after college then wonder why I’m putting weight on haha!!

:hugs:At least its nearly winter now so a hot chocolate everyday is exusable. :tongue:
Original post by Paralove
but since my year abroad in Spain, I've gotten used to their Colacao brand which is really nice. I brought a 800g tub back with me last month for uni lol.

I had this last time I was in Spain and it was soooo good!! :drool: Don't blame you for bringing a huge tub back :tongue:
Original post by Chronoscope
Definitely agree on the Galaxy :five: almond milk - it sounds nice, I wonder why haven't I heard of this thing before.

Yesss :five: And almond milk is amazing, it's one of those plant milks so it's mainly meant for people who are dairy free, but I just can't stand the taste of cow's milk and this is the nicest substitute! It's nice because you can taste the almond flavour too so it gives an extra taste to your drinks :yep: (also amazing on cereal :fyi:)
Original post by Protostar
Yesss :five: And almond milk is amazing, it's one of those plant milks so it's mainly meant for people who are dairy free, but I just can't stand the taste of cow's milk and this is the nicest substitute! It's nice because you can taste the almond flavour too so it gives an extra taste to your drinks :yep: (also amazing on cereal :fyi:)

Almond milk team!:biggrin:
Do you make yours in a certain way?Do you prefer instant hot chocolate or do you make it in a pan? Favourite type/brand? :smile:

(I'm currently drinking hot chocolate )

Hot chocolate is all I drink :daydreaming:

I have one of those Tassimo machines which make it for me :biggrin: The capsules are expensive, but it's worth it :colone:
I heard they were expensive:tongue: I would recommend asda's light instant hot chocolate + the m&m one. Avoid the mint Areo hot chocolate though.:frown:
(by the way, was hotel chocolat's cocoa not instant then if it took 30 mins to make?)

No it isn't instant. It's little chocolate curls. You have to heat milk up then add the chocolate then melt them together. But you have to do it slowly so you don't boil or ruin the milk.
I like it so much in wintertime. The christmas markets make the best ones. One of just a few highlights in a period of a year I don't please.
honestly my little tub of instant hot chocolate is one of the only things that cheers me up atm :redface:
dont even make nice hot chocolate but it's warm and better than tea to drink at night :tea:
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Mini marshmallows:u:.

Never taste this American version. Not even Marshmallows without hot chocolate. :lol: Was used to add a cream topping to it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you to the original poster! I very much approve of this thread! :biggrin:

I've recently taken a huge liking to the instant version of Marks & Spencer's Drinking Chocolate. It's a 250g tub of cocoa powder and granulated sugar (both Fairtrade! :biggrin:). One mug of that is so comforting! Instead of the suggested 3 heaped teaspoons, I add 2 or 2 1/2 level teaspoons to about 300ml-400ml of hot milk. The 250g tub costs £2.50 (in my 2 nearest M&S stores, anyway) but is absolutely worth it. With the way I make my hot chocolate, I could get at least 12 mugs out of the tub.
Also, this M&S Drinking Chocolate is suitable for vegetarians, unlike the regular and calorie-controlled sachets of M&S instant hot chocolate.

Cadbury's hot chocolate is alright but I would choose the aforementioned hot chocolate over Cadbury's any day.
Costa hot chocolate isn't rich enough to my liking. Tried it once, won't have it again unless it's the only option and I want a warm beverage that isn't tea or coffee.

I don't have my Drinking Chocolate with cream or mini marshmallows. I'm watching my food intake and having whipped cream on top of hot chocolate every time sounds excessively indulgent. A bit of cream on top of my hot chocolate once every now and then is fine, though.

Ooh, I want hot chocolate now! Will make some before I go to bed, hopefully.
Green and Blacks hot chocolate is so nice, everything they do is :sogood: More of a fan of the dark bitter taste than the sweet hot chocolate but yeah, so comforting on cold nights esp when am snowed under with the shower of shite that is University
Hot chocolate for my fellow lactose intolerants/ vegans:

(Makes 2 cups)

200ml of milk of your choice (I usually use lactofree but I have also tried it with hazelnut milk and it was DIVINE)
60g of dark chocolate (green and blacks is the best imo)
1 1/2 tsp of hot chocolate powder (yet again I use green and blacks' cocoa powder as it has no milk in it)
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp of either vanilla extract or cinnamon (both are OPTIONAL)
a pinch of sea salt (table salt will suffice)

1) heat up 100ml of the milk in a pan over a medium heat.
2) break the chocolate in small chunks and add to the milk in the pan.
3) keep stirring until all the chocolate has melted.
4) slowly add the rest of the milk- keep stirring though!
5) whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
5) add maple syrup and any additional flavours.
6) bring nearly to the boil and then stir in salt.
7) serve in your favourite mug.

Voila- you now have coffee shop worthy hot chocolate! :h:
Reply 34
I thought I was alone. I drink a glass every morning and have done so for at least 10 years
Original post by SGHD26716
I thought I was alone. I drink a glass every morning and have done so for at least 10 years

You drink hot chocolate in a glass?! a drink like this is drinking in a mug.
My uni had some really cool hot chocolate flavours and my bf had a habit of picking up one for him and a friend before early lectures. One of his friends got us a huge tub of galaxy hot chocolate (like a whole kg or something!) and a big bottle of vanilla syrup for Christmas. It is still serving us to this day and it is delicious.
My parents picked up on our new found appreciation for hot chocolate and got us some fancy hot chocolate flakes and mini marshmallows another time. They were used up far quicker. There is nothing quite like a real chocolate hot chocolate.

Anyway, as you may have guessed I've made a fair few hot chocolates by now so here's my perfect recipe:

Get an awesome mug. This part is very important. You should have a dedicated hot chocolate mug (or mugs if you're getting serious about this). If you do not have one, you know what to ask for for Christmas. If the mug is not awesome, the hot chocolate will not be awesome. Simple maths.

Fill it with milk. Just milk. None of this water nonsense. Hot chocolate needs to be creamy and no amount of milk powder can replace proper milk. Almond or soy milk is acceptable also.

Add chocolate flakes or grate in your favourite chocolate. About 2 decent sized spoons for a normal mug. A nice hot chocolate powder can be used to substitute if need be (especially if you happen to have half a kilo of the stuff).

Microwave. About 30 seconds to a minuet. Make sure it's steaming and the chocolate is fully melted. You could go for an old fashioned boil too if you wanted to be classic.

Add flavour. A splash of vanilla or cherry goes down a treat. Experiment with flavours and get seasonal with it.

Throw mini marshmallows up in that mug! Make it all pretty and photo worthy. If marshmallows aren't your thing (I didn't know that was possible, but have recently learned it is) you can add some whipped cream and sprinkles or throth it up and add one of those fancy sprinkle patterns.
quick tip- you can use an electric whisk or milkshake stirrer (yes they do exist) to get that throth going if you don't have a fancy barista throther to hand.

Photograph it so you can look back on your greatest achievement and make all your friends jealous on insta.

Snuggle up nice and comfy somewhere, drink and enjoy. :tee:

Go on TSR to thank Kindred for her words of wisdom and insist TSR create a hot chocolate badge just for her to celebrate her glory. :yep:

PS

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Kallisto
You drink hot chocolate in a glass?! a drink like this is drinking in a mug.

Drinking a glass = higher volume
Btw, is anybody else angered that hotels and stuff always have tea and coffee, but not often hot chocolate? I sure as hell am. When I was going around the country on the great uni open day tour I stashed any sachet I could find in my bag. A scout is always prepared. :wink:

I was really pleased with one place once. Our train was delayed and it was one of those fancy long journey ones so it had a food and drinks cart so we were told we could get a free tea or coffee. Those are heated muck though so I asked if I could get a hot chocolate... and I could!! That concludes that awesome story. :tongue:
I am loving this thread 👌🏼☕️ 📚Spanish hot chocolate is particularly lovely, but I concur re Cadbury's ☺️

Latest