Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any chance I will still be eligible for funding to cover my course entirely? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, my application for student finance has been very complicated by my personal circumstances and I was wondering if you could inform me if you think there may be any way that I may be covered.

I was due to start university in 2015 and applied for student finance.

My mother became increasingly ill and I had to pull out due to caring responsibilities.

This meant that I owed a quarter of the amount for 2015/16.

I began year 1 at the end of last year but my mother died at the end of the year and it affected my exams, so the university let me re-sit.

This means I will be re-resitting this year (2017). After having liaised with Student Finance, it doesn't seem I will have a problem with securing the second "gift year" because I can prove my personal circumstances.

However, I performed significantly worse on one of my courses - I was studying German and Business... and as I performed worse on the business side, the university has opted to let me re-sit with German and French.

I have spoken to many Student Finance advisers on the phone about whether this program change will affect my eligibility and most have said it won't... but some have said it will.. and now I have already started this program and not had my loan approved, I am very concerned.

I still have a chance to change back to my original program but I must do it NOW and I cannot get a straight answer over the phone.

If I am not approved, I don't know what to do as I have no other source of funding.

To complicate matters even more, the German and French involves a compulsory year abroad, which I hope won't complicate things further still.

Please let me know if you think there is any way that Student Finance may approve it.

I would rather stick to the changed program, but it may take the assessment team much longer to process my application formally and I don't have that time to wait.

Depending on who I speak to, I am continuously told different things, and I do accept responsibility for not straightening this out sooner, but I was initially told it would be fine, and only after double-checking has this become an issue.

It is really important, that if this sounds like I will almost surely NOT be funded (although I realize you cannot give me a categorically firm answer) that I pull out and revert to my original program now.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_Ariana)
    So, my application for student finance has been very complicated by my personal circumstances and I was wondering if you could inform me if you think there may be any way that I may be covered.

I was due to start university in 2015 and applied for student finance.

My mother became increasingly ill and I had to pull out due to caring responsibilities.

This meant that I owed a quarter of the amount for 2015/16.

I began year 1 at the end of last year but my mother died at the end of the year and it affected my exams, so the university let me re-sit.

This means I will be re-resitting this year (2017). After having liaised with Student Finance, it doesn't seem I will have a problem with securing the second "gift year" because I can prove my personal circumstances.

However, I performed significantly worse on one of my courses - I was studying German and Business... and as I performed worse on the business side, the university has opted to let me re-sit with German and French.

I have spoken to many Student Finance advisers on the phone about whether this program change will affect my eligibility and most have said it won't... but some have said it will.. and now I have already started this program and not had my loan approved, I am very concerned.

I still have a chance to change back to my original program but I must do it NOW and I cannot get a straight answer over the phone.

If I am not approved, I don't know what to do as I have no other source of funding.

To complicate matters even more, the German and French involves a compulsory year abroad, which I hope won't complicate things further still.

Please let me know if you think there is any way that Student Finance may approve it.

I would rather stick to the changed program, but it may take the assessment team much longer to process my application formally and I don't have that time to wait.

Depending on who I speak to, I am continuously told different things, and I do accept responsibility for not straightening this out sooner, but I was initially told it would be fine, and only after double-checking has this become an issue.

It is really important, that if this sounds like I will almost surely NOT be funded (although I realize you cannot give me a categorically firm answer) that I pull out and revert to my original program now.
    HI Katie_Ariana;

Just a few questions to help you better,

From what I understand you attended part of 2015/16 academic year and received payments and also started again in the 2016/17 academic year and received payments that year too, am I correct ?

To clarify you are starting again in 2017, a new course from year one, transfering to a course that includes a year abroad as part of the course, is that right ?

Can you confirm the length of the new course, is it four years?

From what I understand you have sent in evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and are waiting on an outcome to whether this has been accepted or not, is that correct?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    HI Katie_Ariana;

Just a few questions to help you better,

From what I understand you attended part of 2015/16 academic year and received payments and also started again in the 2016/17 academic year and received payments that year too, am I correct ?

To clarify you are starting again in 2017, a new course from year one, transfering to a course that includes a year abroad as part of the course, is that right ?

Can you confirm the length of the new course, is it four years?

From what I understand you have sent in evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and are waiting on an outcome to whether this has been accepted or not, is that correct?

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Thank you for your reply.

Everything that you have stated above is indeed correct.

However, I have been told by an adviser by telephone that I may be "penalized" i.e. not receive funding, because of the nature of my course change (not for the repetition of the first year as I have reasons for this - but because I am also changing programs), and by another that this would definitely not be the case and that the course change would be irrelevant.

I repeat that I understand that you cannot give me a categorically firm answer but if you have more information about whether or not this may be a significant problem.

Thank you,
    Katie

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Everything that you have stated above is indeed correct.

However, I have been told by an adviser by telephone that I may be "penalized" i.e. not receive funding, because of the nature of my course change (not for the repetition of the first year as I have reasons for this - but because I am also changing programs), and by another that this would definitely not be the case and that the course change would be irrelevant.

I repeat that I understand that you cannot give me a categorically firm answer but if you have more information about whether or not this may be a significant problem.

Thank you,
    Katie

Hi Katie_Ariana,

The length of the new course will not be an issue.

The way we calculate your future entitlement is,

we look at the length of your new course which is four years

we give you an additional year of support, plus 1 = gives you five years

from that 5 years, we deduct any years of previous study which is minus two years

That leaves you three years support available for your new course.

4 + 1 = 5 - 2 = 3 years support available

As your new course is four years long, then this means on the information you have provided then using this calculation, you would only be entitled to a Maintenance Loan only in year one, you would receive full support for the remainder of your course.

A student can be awarded an extra year of fee support if, it has been a result of Compelling Personal Reasons. CPR can be considered if:
    • The student failed to complete a previous course. In this case the additional year of funding is applied to the first year of the next course.

This means that once you make your application, you can send evidence on headed paper, written by someone aware of your situation, for example a student advisor or health practitioner.

The letter needs state what happened, when it happened and how it effected your studies or the reason you needed to leave your course.

This will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis.

What this means to you is if accepted, you will be awarded an additional year of support.

This would allow you to have full support for the new course but not if you have to repeat any year in the future without CPR.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie_Ariana,

The length of the new course will not be an issue.

The way we calculate your future entitlement is,

we look at the length of your new course which is four years

we give you an additional year of support, plus 1 = gives you five years

from that 5 years, we deduct any years of previous study which is minus two years

That leaves you three years support available for your new course.

4 + 1 = 5 - 2 = 3 years support available

As your new course is four years long, then this means on the information you have provided then using this calculation, you would only be entitled to a Maintenance Loan only in year one, you would receive full support for the remainder of your course.

A student can be awarded an extra year of fee support if, it has been a result of Compelling Personal Reasons. CPR can be considered if:
    • The student failed to complete a previous course. In this case the additional year of funding is applied to the first year of the next course.

This means that once you make your application, you can send evidence on headed paper, written by someone aware of your situation, for example a student advisor or health practitioner.

The letter needs state what happened, when it happened and how it effected your studies or the reason you needed to leave your course.

This will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis.

What this means to you is if accepted, you will be awarded an additional year of support.

This would allow you to have full support for the new course but not if you have to repeat any year in the future without CPR.

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Just to make sure I understand you clearly:

Based on the evidence submitted concerning the passing of my mother, I would still be entitled to a maintenance loan but not a tuition fee loan.

If my doctor or university counselor can provide evidence of witnessing my distress and compelling person reason for why leaving my course was a necessity then I may potentially be awarded further tuition fee support additionally.

Please let me know if this is accurate.

Many thanks,
    Sarah Regan

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Just to make sure I understand you clearly:

Based on the evidence submitted concerning the passing of my mother, I would still be entitled to a maintenance loan but not a tuition fee loan.

If my doctor or university counselor can provide evidence of witnessing my distress and compelling person reason for why leaving my course was a necessity then I may potentially be awarded further tuition fee support additionally.

Please let me know if this is accurate.

Many thanks,
    Sarah Regan
    Hi Katie_Ariana,

Yes that is correct, your evidence will be reviewed by an assessor, on a case by case basis, if accepted, you may be awarded an additional year of full support including the tuition fee .The assessor will make the decision.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie_Ariana,

Yes that is correct, your evidence will be reviewed by an assessor, on a case by case basis, if accepted, you may be awarded an additional year of full support including the tuition fee .The assessor will make the decision.

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Thanks for your reply.

The only issue is that I didn't leave the course (I sat my exams through to the end) but failed it - does this automatically mean that I wouldn't be eligible for CPR?

I have spoken to an adviser who has stated that a copy of my mother's death certificate would suffice as evidence.

Is this not the case?

Thank you,

Katie

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah,

Whether you had left the course or not wouldn't make any difference to the advice Rona has given you we would still calculate your entitlement in the same way so you can still apply for CPR.

Rona advised correctly that you would still have full funding for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of your course but that you wouldn't get your fees paid unless we accept your CPR evidence. You have a very strong case for this being accepted.

You would need to send in a certified copy of your mother's death certificate (this is the copy that comes from the Registrar) along with a covering letter from yourself. As we need to know how your mothers death would have had an impact on your ability to progress with your studies we would also need a letter from a professional person or your University and your mothers death caused any illness where you attended your GP, you could get a letter from them. Any letters would need to state why you couldn't continue with your studies and when this has happened it would need to be on headed paper and signed and dated.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Thanks for your reply.

The only issue is that I didn't leave the course (I sat my exams through to the end) but failed it - does this automatically mean that I wouldn't be eligible for CPR?

I have spoken to an adviser who has stated that a copy of my mother's death certificate would suffice as evidence.

Is this not the case?

Thank you,

Katie
    Hi Katie,

Sometimes the mitigating circumstances, would have had an impact on your attendance and performance in the exams and the reason that you are having to repeat year one again.

An assessor will look at this and take your circumstances into account.

If you send a clear photo copy of the death certificate along with a cover letter written by yourself, this should be acceptable.

If an assessor requires any additional evidence they will request it.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie,

Sometimes the mitigating circumstances, would have had an impact on your attendance and performance in the exams and the reason that you are having to repeat year one again.

An assessor will look at this and take your circumstances into account.

If you send a clear photo copy of the death certificate along with a cover letter written by yourself, this should be acceptable.

If an assessor requires any additional evidence they will request it.

Thanks Rona

Thanks Rona.

Should I also submit my university grades/attendance?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rona.

Should I also submit my university grades/attendance?
    Hi Katie_Ariana.

We will not require you to send details of your attendance, the death certificate and covering letter should be sufficient enough evidence.

Thanks

Katie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.