Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm doing my A2's this year in biology, chemistry and maths and I really struggle to recall things. Since, biology's got a lot of memory and recall work I try really hard to remember things word - for - word but, never can and end up getting a low grade in end of topic tests. The weird thing is that my understanding's fine I can explain a topic to you but, I wouldn't be able to write down a model answer for a specific question from memory.

Does anyone know of any memorisation techniques, or ways to improve my recall/memory?

Any tips or suggestions are really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Any other revision techniques that you may know of would be great too!

ReputationRep:
    As making notes is very time consuming and ineffective for me, I read a page from the biology paper and get a plain paper and scribble everything I remember. When I mean scribble , I mean it. Then check the page and write the points you missed and repeat it again and again. It is very quick and effective as you're not wasting your time writing hours and hours of notes and knowing that you missed a point out when scribbling you'll want it to remember it next time.

ReputationRep:
    i completely understand your struggle! have you tried doing past papers to get yourself used to the format and style of answers? that has helped me quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    Here's something interesting.
    https://artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_...First_Location

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sehun123)
    As making notes is very time consuming and ineffective for me, I read a page from the biology paper and get a plain paper and scribble everything I remember. When I mean scribble , I mean it. Then check the page and write the points you missed and repeat it again and again. It is very quick and effective as you're not wasting your time writing hours and hours of notes and knowing that you missed a point out when scribbling you'll want it to remember it next time.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I've done something similar before.. I've tried something similar to the look-cover-write-check where I would fold a piece of paper lengthways and on one side would look at the note/fact that I want memorised and then turn the page over and try writing it from memory. It worked for a short time but, then unfortunately once I started remembering more and more new stuff the old stuff would kinda just be forgotten, if you see what I mean?

But, I'll definitely have another go. How often would you refresh your memory on what you've memorised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaxo99)
    i completely understand your struggle! have you tried doing past papers to get yourself used to the format and style of answers? that has helped me quite a bit
    Thanks for your reply! I genuinely used to think I was the only one with this problem I have definitely always done past papers but I can never get the exam board answer if you see what I mean? Like my answer is scientifically correct but it's not in the terminology that the exam board want to hear it in.

Are there any other techniques that you know of? It's really just a problem of remembering it! I genuinely can't remember what's written on the mark scheme even if I've seen it 5 minutes ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    Here's something interesting.
    https://artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_...First_Location
    Thanks for the link - it looks really good. But, how would that work if you want to learn something really specific like, model answers word-for-word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_geek)
    Thanks for the link - it looks really good. But, how would that work if you want to learn something really specific like, model answers word-for-word?
    idk just something interesting I found

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    idk just something interesting I found
    Cool, no worries! Thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I've done something similar before.. I've tried something similar to the look-cover-write-check where I would fold a piece of paper lengthways and on one side would look at the note/fact that I want memorised and then turn the page over and try writing it from memory. It worked for a short time but, then unfortunately once I started remembering more and more new stuff the old stuff would kinda just be forgotten, if you see what I mean?

But, I'll definitely have another go. How often would you refresh your memory on what you've memorised?
    No problem, I think the best way to remember the old content is to do repetitions of what you learnt every fortnight. When learning the content for the first time it takes longer to learn but if you repeat this content two weeks later you'll realise that it doesn't take as long time to memorise the content as before which is a great thing and repetitions strengthen your pathways so even 10-15 minutes of recall would make this stay in your long term memory. Doing constant repetitions are great because nearer to any exam you have all you need to do is scan over your past papers or key points in the mark scheme and you'll be good to go.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, I think the best way to remember the old content is to do repetitions of what you learnt every fortnight. When learning the content for the first time it takes longer to learn but if you repeat this content two weeks later you'll realise that it doesn't take as long time to memorise the content as before which is a great thing and repetitions strengthen your pathways so even 10-15 minutes of recall would make this stay in your long term memory. Doing constant repetitions are great because nearer to any exam you have all you need to do is scan over your past papers or key points in the mark scheme and you'll be good to go.
    That sounds good, I'll definitely try that. Although, do you never feel that you're ever mixing to pieces of information that you've learnt up? This sounds odd but, how do you separate two things that you've memorised and stop yourself from mixing them up and confusing yourself?

I'll definitely try that out! Are there any revision techniques that you'd recommend alongside this aswell?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good, I'll definitely try that. Although, do you never feel that you're ever mixing to pieces of information that you've learnt up? This sounds odd but, how do you separate two things that you've memorised and stop yourself from mixing them up and confusing yourself?

I'll definitely try that out! Are there any revision techniques that you'd recommend alongside this aswell?
    That certainly isn't odd because, I go through that too so unfortunately I cannot give you great advice for that haha, I apologise and for other revision techniques the scribble method,doing practice papers and mark schemes and constant repetitions is what works for me

ReputationRep:
    That certainly isn't odd because, I go through that too so unfortunately I cannot give you great advice for that haha, I apologise and for other revision techniques the scribble method,doing practice papers and mark schemes and constant repetitions is what works for me
    Thanks, that's ok! I can understand it's difficult to explain since it's a sort of internal process. What's the scribble method? And, I also do past paper questions but, how do you use them to revise effectively?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.