Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reapplying to University - Personal Statement & Reference Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have decided I am going to reapply for university 2018 entry but I am going to apply for Biology instead. Do I just speak about my interest in Biology etc. or do I also mention that I am doing a software engineering apprenticeship.

Also does my apprenticeship employer have to be my reference? I have only been there for 1 month so it's not enough time to establish rapport.

Backstory:

Spoiler:
    Show

I originally successfully applied to University Of Kent to study Computer Science for 2017 entry, however, I also managed to get a place on a degree apprenticeship programme at a top Management Consultancy firm to study a BSc in Digital & Technology Solutions which I accepted and have been working for 1 month

ReputationRep:
    Dont use your employer. Not appropriate.
    Ask your previous school - they will be happy to do it and it will be a much more convincing reference.

Why you are actually doing this apprenticeship - is this part of the 'change of mind'?
    Either way, I wouldn't mention it as it does suggest you are not committed to Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni and reapplied to a different uni and course. I didn't mention anything about my previous uni or course and got 5 offers. Just mention why you have an interest in the new course and why you think you're suited to studying it. Students change courses all the time although you said you're doing an apprenticeship which I don't know much about.

Also, look at the university's guide on personal statements some may mention the sort of things they wanna see.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Ask your previous school - they will be happy to do it and it will be a much more convincing reference.

Why you are actually doing this apprenticeship - is this part of the 'change of mind'?
    Either way, I wouldn't mention it as it does suggest you are not committed to Biology.
    Thank you for your response!!!

And yes I have somewhat changed my mind, the degree for the apprenticeship was accredited by UEL.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grl9096)
    I dropped out of uni and reapplied to a different uni and course. I didn't mention anything about my previous uni or course and got 5 offers.
    Did you list your university in your education section? If not then your application was technically fraudulent.

Universities don't mind reapplicants as long as it's clear that they're now certain of their choices and not likely to leave again. Universities do mind applicants witholding relevant information from their application from a misguided idea that it will improve their chances of an offer.

There's no need to devote paragraphs of a PS to it but it will usually help to briefly explain the reasons for the change of mind.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Did you list your university in your education section? If not then your application was technically fraudulent.

Universities don't mind reapplicants as long as it's clear that they're now certain of their choices and not likely to leave again. Universities do mind applicants witholding relevant information from their application from a misguided idea that it will improve their chances of an offer.

There's no need to devote paragraphs of a PS to it but it will usually help to briefly explain the reasons for the change of mind.
    Thanks for the helpful response! I shall mention it in my PS then
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    Thanks for the helpful response! I shall mention it in my PS then
    I think that's a good idea - you'll need to list your apprenticeship (either as education or employment or both) elsewhere on your application. Explaining why you've decided to switch to a biology degree wont harm your application. There's no need to dwell on it but explaining briefly why you've changed your mind will reassure admissions staff that you aren't a drop-out risk.

I would definitely agree with returnmigrant's recommendation of an academic reference from your school. Again if you can arrange some time with your referee to talk through your reasons for changing then they'll be able to reiterate that in your reference as another way to reassure your universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

I included it in the education section. I meant I didn't mention it in the actual personal statement.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grl9096)
    I included it in the education section. I meant I didn't mention it in the actual personal statement.
    Fair enough then

It's very much a personal choice. When I did this I was reapplying for a similar course elsewhere so could talk about what I'd enjoyed, I've known some people who have talked about enjoying their time at university and the different learning environment but explaining that the course made them realise that the subject wasn't quite the right choice.

Personal statements are personal - what works for one situation wont for someone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Sorry to hijack, but do you need to mention your previous university in the statement itself if you're moving after a Foundation Year? I guess it would technically count as leaving a university, curious if they would be interested about that, ie why you're leaving.

(obviously putting the uni in your education, for the sake of applying based on FY grades.)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Sorry to hijack, but do you need to mention your previous university in the statement itself if you're moving after a Foundation Year? I guess it would technically count as leaving a university, curious if they would be interested about that, ie why you're leaving.

(obviously putting the uni in your education, for the sake of applying based on FY grades.)
    It would be odd if nothing from your foundation year was interesting enough to mention in your PS. You don't HAVE to mention it but I'd be surprised to see it skipped over completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It would be odd if nothing from your foundation year was interesting enough to mention in your PS. You don't HAVE to mention it but I'd be surprised to see it skipped over completely.
    Oh no, I mean why I was leaving my current university in lieu of another post-FY.
    To clarify though, there's a Genetics module in my FY I've really enjoyed, and I'm looking to apply for a full Genetics degree as a result.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I mean why I was leaving my current university in lieu of another post-FY.
    To clarify though, there's a Genetics module in my FY I've really enjoyed, and I'm looking to apply for a full Genetics degree as a result.
    I'd say that sounds fine.

It's fairly common for FY students to apply elsehwere after the foundation year - for a whole range of reasons.

If you're a UK student it's worth remembering that swapping from a degree+FY course to a degree course (without foundation) will count as using up your gift year of funding. That means if you later need to repeat a year or restart again (because you made a mistake) then the additional extra year would be undunded (no tuition fee loan but still a maintenance loan). That would also apply if you swapped to a BSc without foundation and then swapped partway through that BSc to a longer MBiol/MSci course (so if you're looking at a genetics degree that has an undergraduate masters option apply for the longer course - it's easier to drop down than swap up particularly if you've had a foundation elsewhere).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'd say that sounds fine.

It's fairly common for FY students to apply elsehwere after the foundation year - for a whole range of reasons.

If you're a UK student it's worth remembering that swapping from a degree+FY course to a degree course (without foundation) will count as using up your gift year of funding. That means if you later need to repeat a year or restart again (because you made a mistake) then the additional extra year would be undunded (no tuition fee loan but still a maintenance loan). That would also apply if you swapped to a BSc without foundation and then swapped partway through that BSc to a longer MBiol/MSci course (so if you're looking at a genetics degree that has an undergraduate masters option apply for the longer course - it's easier to drop down than swap up particularly if you've had a foundation elsewhere).
    Ah yes, I imagined so. Most of them bar one have an MSci and Professional Training attached, so I'd assume even though it's 5 years it'd still count. Messing up a year of course would be the end of it, but the obvious solution is don't mess up

Still, apologies for hijacking - thank you for the information
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I would definitely agree with returnmigrant's recommendation of an academic reference from your school. Again if you can arrange some time with your referee to talk through your reasons for changing then they'll be able to reiterate that in your reference as another way to reassure your universities.
    So my previous school has agreed to provide me with an academic reference, however, they have mentioned that my Biology teacher has left the college and clearly unable to give me a reference.

The reference that was made by my form tutor and IT teachers last year for my Computer Science course is still on the systems, however, the school adviser stated that my references from my IT teachers are obviously IT-focused, she said that she would try with another Science teacher I briefly had (that only taught me for 4 weeks) but if he can't remember me then she has to use the references that are on the system.

Do you think this would affect my chances of getting into university in any way seeing as though I'm applying for Biology? (Science with Foundation Year) Yet my references are IT focused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    So my previous school has agreed to provide me with an academic reference, however, they have mentioned that my Biology teacher has left the college and clearly unable to give me a reference.

The reference that was made by my form tutor and IT teachers last year for my Computer Science course is still on the systems, however, the school adviser stated that my references from my IT teachers are obviously IT-focused, she said that she would try with another Science teacher I briefly had (that only taught me for 4 weeks) but if he can't remember me then she has to use the references that are on the system.

Do you think this would affect my chances of getting into university in any way seeing as though I'm applying for Biology? (Science with Foundation Year) Yet my references are IT focused.
    Can't imagine so. I applied for the same course and got in with a reference written by an English teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)

yes dont use employer.
    Use your previous schools pastoral/form tutor as they can provide predicted grades and assumeing they know you well enough academically what matters
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Can't imagine so. I applied for the same course and got in with a reference written by an English teacher
    Thanks!! Very reassuring!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.