The Student Room Group

Nervous to quit job

Starting working part time at uni but don't like the job. I've been here for less than a week so don't need to give a notice period, I feel like just calling them and telling them I quit but my friend said I should do it in person. I don't want to go all the way there just to say I'm not coming back. Also, I feel bad quitting so soon. Advice?
What don't you like about it? Can't you give it say a month in total and then decide to quit?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
What don't you like about it? Can't you give it say a month in total and then decide to quit?

I'm at university so I didn't want a job that would be too stressful but this job, I'm on my feet throughout the whole shift and I don't get a break (although it is only 6 hours per shift). Still, after university that's just not what I want to be doing. It is a lot more demanding than I thought it would be. Also, I finish late, which I didn't mind at first, but I have to take public transport which is scarce after certain hours. The area is dead and the only people I see around seem intoxicated which makes me uncomfortable. I just don't think the money is worth it. I've had other jobs that I hated but still kept for a while, this one I cannot see myself doing it.

That was a lot, sorry.
Original post by grl9096
I'm at university so I didn't want a job that would be too stressful but this job, I'm on my feet throughout the whole shift and I don't get a break (although it is only 6 hours per shift). Still, after university that's just not what I want to be doing. It is a lot more demanding than I thought it would be. Also, I finish late, which I didn't mind at first, but I have to take public transport which is scarce after certain hours. The area is dead and the only people I see around seem intoxicated which makes me uncomfortable. I just don't think the money is worth it. I've had other jobs that I hated but still kept for a while, this one I cannot see myself doing it.

That was a lot, sorry.

It's probably best to tell them in person, but explain your reasoning just so it doesn't look like you're "too lazy".
Honestly you can do what you want, saying it in person might leave a better impression and help you get across why the job wasn't for you a bit better than over the phone. At the end of the day, what's the worst that could happen, though; what are they going to do? Fire you? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by vityamins
Honestly you can do what you want, saying it in person might leave a better impression and help you get across why the job wasn't for you a bit better than over the phone. At the end of the day, what's the worst that could happen, though; what are they going to do? Fire you? :biggrin:

Well, that would make things easier for me so I wouldn't mind if they did haha
Original post by grl9096

That was a lot, sorry.

You're not entitled to a break unless you work for more than 6 hours at a time
Just disappear and never turn up again

Who cares

nobodeh
Reply 8
Original post by bones-mccoy
You're not entitled to a break unless you work for more than 6 hours at a time

I didn't know that. I've had jobs before that were only 4/5 hours shifts and I still got a 10-20 minutes break
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies. I told them this morning that I don't think it's going to work out. I'm free!
Original post by grl9096
I didn't know that. I've had jobs before that were only 4/5 hours shifts and I still got a 10-20 minutes break

Yeah, companies are only obliged to give over 18's a 20 minute break if they work for 6 hours or more. If you're between 16 and 18, though, you get half an hour if you work 4.5 hours or more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending