Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I am not anti-gypsies myself, but maybe the difference in treatment is because being a gypsy is something you can easily change, whereas your race/gender/sexuality is not?
    I think you may be mixing up Roma/gypsy ethnicity with the nomadic Traveller lifestyle. The Romani are a distinct ethnic group descended from people who migrated to Europe from Northwest India and Pakistan around 1000 years ago. Part of what confuses the issue in the British Isles is that there are also non-Roma Traveller groups, most notably the Lucht Siúil/Irish Travellers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    I think you may be mixing up Roma/gypsy ethnicity with the nomadic Traveller lifestyle. The Romani are a distinct ethnic group descended from people who migrated to Europe from Northwest India and Pakistan around 1000 years ago. Part of what confuses the issue in the British Isles is that there are also non-Roma Traveller groups, most notably the Lucht Siúil/Irish Travellers.
    It was my understanding that there aren't really any Roma in the UK and when we refer to gypsies we mean travellers. I don't consider Irish people to be a different race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    It was my understanding that there aren't really any Roma in the UK
    Around 100,000 (not including any more recent arrivals from Eastern Europe), though estimates of Roma numbers are notoriously difficult, given there was no census option for them at all until the last census, and what there actually was that time was the somewhat imperfect "White - Gypsy/Traveller".

I don't consider Irish people to be a different race.
    "White - Irish" is a separate ethnicity on the census form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Around 100,000 (not including any more recent arrivals from Eastern Europe), though estimates of Roma numbers are notoriously difficult, given there was no census option for them at all until the last census, and what there actually was that time was the somewhat imperfect "White - Gypsy/Traveller".

"White - Irish" is a separate ethnicity on the census form.
    Ethnicity is different to race. You can't be racist against people of your own race. Regardless, as I said in my original post, people don't hate gypsies for their race - they hate them for their lifestyle and behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    as a half-roma myself (and having lived as a traveller for a short time when i was younger), i somewhat agree that- although the agressions may not be incredibly huge- they're definitely very ingrained into the british people. i mean, i was told the bare minimum about my gypsy "side" until i was older, and my grandparents who i live with (on the other side) throw around slurs and offhand comments all the time- i used to think it was normal, or just an older generation thing, until one of my friends started using slurs too. i'm not noticably roma, i haven't got darker eyes or skin, so whenever people use slurs in front of me i just calmly inform them... yet normally they carry on regardless.
    i'm definitely no expert, but the struggles that roma (and other travellers i'm guessing, although i'm even less informed on them) have gone through never seem as highlighted as other minorities in this country- which i greatly suspect is due to their solitary lifestyle. they just get on with it; and not many get the chance to speak out anyway. i know my father was a gypsy campaigner and he faced a lot of trouble for even suggesting that roma weren't treated properly. a lot of people seem to hold the view that they bring all their misfortune on themselves.
    i've visited a concentration camp and several memorials in germany very recently, and before i'd never realised the whole extent to their persecution during the nazi reign either. lots of people shy away from talking about gypsies, and it's viewed as some sort of "taboo" subject- maybe that's why so many people lash out at them. gypsies are private, close-knit; people tend to misread and misunderstand that.
    all in all, i wouldn't say gypsies are the most opressed group in europe- but then again i'd say it's stupid to say that when quite obviously there's a lot of casual prejudice towards them anyway. it doesn't matter if they're not the "most opressed"- it matters that they're being rallied against as a whole at all.
    sorry about that- it just kinda flooded out. excuse any mistakes, and i'd be happy to talk to anyone about this (bearing in mind i'm no expert). hope whoever's reading has a nice day! :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeyofcourse)
    as a half-roma myself (and having lived as a traveller for a short time when i was younger), i somewhat agree that- although the agressions may not be incredibly huge- they're definitely very ingrained into the british people. i mean, i was told the bare minimum about my gypsy "side" until i was older, and my grandparents who i live with (on the other side) throw around slurs and offhand comments all the time- i used to think it was normal, or just an older generation thing, until one of my friends started using slurs too. i'm not noticably roma, i haven't got darker eyes or skin, so whenever people use slurs in front of me i just calmly inform them... yet normally they carry on regardless.
    i'm definitely no expert, but the struggles that roma (and other travellers i'm guessing, although i'm even less informed on them) have gone through never seem as highlighted as other minorities in this country- which i greatly suspect is due to their solitary lifestyle. they just get on with it; and not many get the chance to speak out anyway. i know my father was a gypsy campaigner and he faced a lot of trouble for even suggesting that roma weren't treated properly. a lot of people seem to hold the view that they bring all their misfortune on themselves.
    i've visited a concentration camp and several memorials in germany very recently, and before i'd never realised the whole extent to their persecution during the nazi reign either. lots of people shy away from talking about gypsies, and it's viewed as some sort of "taboo" subject- maybe that's why so many people lash out at them. gypsies are private, close-knit; people tend to misread and misunderstand that.
    all in all, i wouldn't say gypsies are the most opressed group in europe- but then again i'd say it's stupid to say that when quite obviously there's a lot of casual prejudice towards them anyway. it doesn't matter if they're not the "most opressed"- it matters that they're being rallied against as a whole at all.
    sorry about that- it just kinda flooded out. excuse any mistakes, and i'd be happy to talk to anyone about this (bearing in mind i'm no expert). hope whoever's reading has a nice day! :'
    It should be pointed out that most people have an issue with the Irish tinkers aka pikeys as opposed to Roma themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    It should be pointed out that most people have an issue with the Irish tinkers aka pikeys as opposed to Roma themselves.
    true, but like i said- i'm definitely no expert outside of roma. however, people do tend to just lump all "travellers" in the same bracket from what i've experienced personally. may be different wherever you are. although there's also definitely inter-gypsy (i just made that word up) prejudice too, between irish, scottish travellers, roma etc. no one group is perfect in this situation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.