Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm thinking of applying to an AUB art and design foundation year, as well as engineering apprenticeships. I'm studying Maths, Physics and Product Design and predicted A-A* in all, so a lot of my teachers think I'm wasting my potential, my parents are encouraging me not to go to uni for the debt and my friends are encouraging me to go for the social life. I know I shouldn't be influenced by them but it's so hard to tell what's my opinion and what's theirs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emzalol)
    At the moment I'm thinking of applying to an AUB art and design foundation year, as well as engineering apprenticeships. I'm studying Maths, Physics and Product Design and predicted A-A* in all, so a lot of my teachers think I'm wasting my potential, my parents are encouraging me not to go to uni for the debt and my friends are encouraging me to go for the social life. I know I shouldn't be influenced by them but it's so hard to tell what's my opinion and what's theirs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    The majority of graduates don't ever pay the full debt back so see it as a graduate tax instead and then see how you feel.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What is your career plans?

Claire is correct by the way in terms of student finance.

P.S. I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Simple question, do you actually want to go to university to study? If the answer is no then don't go.

1. Your teachers want whats best for you but also whats best for their stats, Uni isn't the be all and end all.
    2. Yes everyone loves the uni social life but that's not a good reason to go on its own. You can get that experience, if not a better one, from travelling.
    3. Yes the debt seems like a lot but its all in loans and gets paid back over years so it's not something to be worried about if you do want to go, the money shouldn't hold you back
    4. There are other options that are just as useful. I went and volunteered in the Philippines (government funded too) for 3 months when I finished school, it showed me where I want to go in life. There are also amazing apprenticeships out there. You can even take a year out if you want to

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    The majority of graduates don't ever pay the full debt back so see it as a graduate tax instead and then see how you feel.
    Good idea, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    What is your career plans?

Claire is correct by the way in terms of student finance.

P.S. I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.
    Thank you so much

To be perfectly honest I don't know. Ever since I've wanted to go into the creative sector but it's a really cut-throat business and I'm worried that I just won't be able to cut it. I really like Product Design at the moment at school, and that combined with the maths and physics led me to look into engineering which looks quite cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshalld67)
    Simple question, do you actually want to go to university to study? If the answer is no then don't go.

1. Your teachers want whats best for you but also whats best for their stats, Uni isn't the be all and end all.
    2. Yes everyone loves the uni social life but that's not a good reason to go on its own. You can get that experience, if not a better one, from travelling.
    3. Yes the debt seems like a lot but its all in loans and gets paid back over years so it's not something to be worried about if you do want to go, the money shouldn't hold you back
    4. There are other options that are just as useful. I went and volunteered in the Philippines (government funded too) for 3 months when I finished school, it showed me where I want to go in life. There are also amazing apprenticeships out there. You can even take a year out if you want to

Hope this helps
    Thank you so much it really helps to hear what other people have done after leaving school.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much it really helps to hear what other people have done after leaving school.
    I don't know if you've heard of NCS but have a look at ICS
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much

To be perfectly honest I don't know. Ever since I've wanted to go into the creative sector but it's a really cut-throat business and I'm worried that I just won't be able to cut it. I really like Product Design at the moment at school, and that combined with the maths and physics led me to look into engineering which looks quite cool.
    Have a look at some product design courses and see if they look right for you.:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.