Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow heriot watters,

I'm a international postgrad student that has sort of failed at making friends so far. Was sick during freshers and lived in a hotel until my accommodation was sorted. I'm living on campus now and after a busy week I have absolutely nothing to do on a Friday evening! I am bored out of my mind, I want to go out, have a few pints with a side of banter and good company!

Unfortunately I don't know people well enough to ask, I don't want to impose on people either. Most have already formed groups and I am a bit too late I'm afraid. I have joined a few societies, but it seems like events are months apart.

So! Any good places outside campus I can go and meet people?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jonerys,

Even if you aren't in any way religious, I would highly recommend the Chaplaincy! A lot of our international students meet there for social events and trips.

The Chaplaincy is open to everyone from all backgrounds and cultures, people of all faiths and no religious faith are welcome.

Each Tuesday they do a lunchtime 'Soup Tuesday' event and on Wednesdays there is a meal from across the world where students cook for other students. They also often have weekend trips and events. For example, this weekend there's a weekend trip to Pitlochry and the Highlands and on 17th November there's a St Andrews night celebration!

I've popped in a few times for different reasons - everyone is super friendly and I've always been made to feel very welcome.

Check out: Events at the Chaplaincy

Once you make some new friends, you can invite them out for a few pints with a side of banter and good company! :beer:

Carole

(Original post by Jonerys)
    Hi fellow heriot watters,

I'm a international postgrad student that has sort of failed at making friends so far. Was sick during freshers and lived in a hotel until my accommodation was sorted. I'm living on campus now and after a busy week I have absolutely nothing to do on a Friday evening! I am bored out of my mind, I want to go out, have a few pints with a side of banter and good company!

Unfortunately I don't know people well enough to ask, I don't want to impose on people either. Most have already formed groups and I am a bit too late I'm afraid. I have joined a few societies, but it seems like events are months apart.

So! Any good places outside campus I can go and meet people?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.