Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a laptop for sixth form and uni next year. Ideally something reliable and going to last me through these years. Main use would be for browsing, typing up word documents and watching films/videos etc.
    Price range maybe nothing higher than £500-600 if possible (so no, I don't want to consider a macbook) and I'm thinking maybe i3 or i5. I haven't used a laptop since I was a kid and that was pentium and back then I used for documents and online mmo's, so would pentium do too for my current needs?

Any ideas or recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashclouds)
    I'm looking for a laptop for sixth form and uni next year. Ideally something reliable and going to last me through these years. Main use would be for browsing, typing up word documents and watching films/videos etc.
    Price range maybe nothing higher than £500-600 if possible (so no, I don't want to consider a macbook) and I'm thinking maybe i3 or i5. I haven't used a laptop since I was a kid and that was pentium and back then I used for documents and online mmo's, so would pentium do too for my current needs?

A Pentium will struggle with Windows 7, 8 or 10. You don't want to be using XP because Microsoft has stopped providing updates and security for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashclouds)

Don't know in that price range (there will be plenty, I'm just uninformed) but if you are looking for one to last a while it might be worth looking for something with a good warranty and maybe accident cover support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    A Pentium will struggle with Windows 7, 8 or 10. You don't want to be using XP because Microsoft has stopped providing updates and security for it.
    My old laptop worked pretty well with Windows 7 but I see your point. Would you say i3 or i5 would be better off getting?

(Original post by AHappyStudent)
    Don't know in that price range (there will be plenty, I'm just uninformed) but if you are looking for one to last a while it might be worth looking for something with a good warranty and maybe accident cover support.
    Ah thank you, sounds like a good idea
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/...s-for-students

ReputationRep:
    just go on the currys website and keep filtering out the ones that are bad and see what you have left
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Not really true, Pentiums are just a tier name of chips built on the same architecture as the Core series and are still in production today, modern iterations can handle modern OS's just fine. I don't recommend Pentiums personally these days just because the price gap between them and same gen i3s is small enough and the performance gap large enough to justify the expense, but a recent Pentium isn't just going to choke on Windows 8.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.