Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just started year 10 and i'm not feeling right.
    I chose geography, computing and art initially as my GCSE options but changes art to textiles, because I thought I would learn nothing in Art. I did go to some lessons, liked them, but felt guilty for learning 'nothing'.
    For a long time I have a passion for painting and drawing and do believe I have talent in that area but I don't want to pursue it as a career, only as a hobby.
    I did the change around 3 weeks ago and I don't think I have made the right decision. I specifically chose textiles because I had a dream of becoming a fashion designer and thought it would be fun to have some experience it that area. But I'm not sure if it's the right decision. But i do feel like I am learning important things in the lesson.
    I don't know why but I just feel depressed when I see my textiles book on my table, or see the homework written in my planner. Same for computing.
    I really do not know what I want to do.
    I did talk to my head of year and tbh I think she is sick of me now, coming up to her every time i'm confused.

I just want to end this and start school properly and enjoy studying my subjects.
    Please does anybody have any advice on how I can deal with this and what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't worry, you'll get through this, you're only just starting your GCSEs.

I would say, from your message, it seems art GCSE would be worth giving a second chance if textiles is depressing you so much, especially as you have a passion for it. Also, you don't need to worry about exactly what you'll be doing in the future, dreams and ambitions change, so you don't have to force yourself to do GCSE textiles for a future plan that could change drastically!

Also, I'm sure you won't be learning 'nothing' in art; to be honest, in the future no one will worry about whether you learned more in GCSE art or textiles- just do the one you love more and will get a better grade in.

I think after you make your decision (it does sound to me as if you're leaning more towards art as you tend to work harder at subjects you enjoy or have a passion for), approach your head of year (she's there to help and this is an important decision so make sure she listens!) and tell her why you want to change. Make sure you explain your reasoning and emphasise that you think you'll get a much better grade if you do the subject you love and not one that makes you so unhappy with no desire to work, and hopefully that can get sorted out for you.

Hope everything goes well for you! (And don't stress too much because in the future your GCSE choices wont even be as significant as, say, your A levels or degree!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentials)
    Hey, don't worry, you'll get through this, you're only just starting your GCSEs.

I would say, from your message, it seems art GCSE would be worth giving a second chance if textiles is depressing you so much, especially as you have a passion for it. Also, you don't need to worry about exactly what you'll be doing in the future, dreams and ambitions change, so you don't have to force yourself to do GCSE textiles for a future plan that could change drastically!

Also, I'm sure you won't be learning 'nothing' in art; to be honest, in the future no one will worry about whether you learned more in GCSE art or textiles- just do the one you love more and will get a better grade in.

I think after you make your decision (it does sound to me as if you're leaning more towards art as you tend to work harder at subjects you enjoy or have a passion for), approach your head of year (she's there to help and this is an important decision so make sure she listens!) and tell her why you want to change. Make sure you explain your reasoning and emphasise that you think you'll get a much better grade if you do the subject you love and not one that makes you so unhappy with no desire to work, and hopefully that can get sorted out for you.

Hope everything goes well for you! (And don't stress too much because in the future your GCSE choices wont even be as significant as, say, your A levels or degree!)
    Alright, I guess I would just have a think about it and make a decision quickly. I've just got to understand that a GCSE option wouldn't affect my life that much.
    Thanks so much, I am very grateful for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.