The Student Room Group

Volunteering tommorw

All I am doing is volunteering tommorw picking up litter and in a charity shop. I should be getting paid for what I do. But NO stupid company's don't care. They just offer people 9.00 a hour sitting on the till

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Themain12
All I am doing is volunteering tommorw picking up litter and in a charity shop. I should be getting paid for what I do. But NO stupid company's don't care. They just offer people 9.00 a hour sitting on the till

Why are you volunteering if you're annoyed about not being paid? Volunteering is giving your time and work for free. Could you not just stop volunteering if it's bothering you?
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
Why are you volunteering if you're annoyed about not being paid? Volunteering is giving your time and work for free. Could you not just stop volunteering if it's bothering you?

Because I was told that I need work experience by these stupid companies. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW

What happened to that trial shift in the cafe you posted about earlier?
Reply 4
Original post by Glassapple
What happened to that trial shift in the cafe you posted about earlier?

What trial shift I ain't got a trail anywhere
Reply 5
Because I was told that I need work experience by these stupid companies. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW

So you are getting something out of it. You're getting experience which can help you get a job. You need that experience and they need volunteers. Win win.
If it bothers you that much you can try getting experience from a job with lower experience requirements, but if you can't do that you'll have to lump it or leave.

I get that it bothers you that you need to be doing this to reach some other goal/ job, but that's how volunteering works. They aren't the ones who want you to have experience. It's not their fault you're needing to do this. They're just trying to get help raising money for a good cause.
If you want to be paid, get a job. If you want easy experience, deal with not being paid.
Reply 6
I can't get a ****ing job because no one cares!!!

Come on somebody ****ing hire me now
What trial shift I ain't got a trail anywhere

I thought I saw a post from one of your many accounts stating that earlier. You're never going to get a job with the attitude you have, this volunteering experience will be good for your CV. It will show that you're adaptable to change (companies make changes all the time) as you're getting a different type of work experience than working in the castle you talked about before.

If you had worked in KFC or McDonald's during the months you've been posting on here then you'd have a good amount of experience and a paid employment reference to show other companies, a few months would have been enough. You could actually be in a 'better' job right now like you want if you had taken what was offered to you in the first place and got on with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I might just steal money tommorw because I need money. I don't care anymore
Reply 9
I thought I saw a post from one of your many accounts stating that earlier. You're never going to get a job with the attitude you have, this volunteering experience will be good for your CV. It will show that you're adaptable to change (companies make changes all the time) as you're getting a different type of work experience than working in the castle you talked about before.

If you had worked in KFC or McDonald's during the months you've been posting on here then you'd have a good amount of experience and a paid employment reference to show other companies, a few months would have been enough. You could actually be in a 'better' job right now like you want if you had taken what was offered to you in the first place and got on with it.

And what do I ****ing tell them mate. I AM NOT GOING TO A ****ING WORK PLACE LIKE THAT WHERE I HAVE TO CLEAN UP **** OR WORK IN A HOT KITCHEN. And anyway they would not be nice they don't care I'm at college they will make me work and work until I died
And what do I ****ing tell them mate. I AM NOT GOING TO A ****ING WORK PLACE LIKE THAT WHERE I HAVE TO CLEAN UP **** OR WORK IN A HOT KITCHEN. And anyway they would not be nice they don't care I'm at college they will make me work and work until I died

I have tried to help you several times over the last few months, each attempt has been met with hostility. You are unwilling to listen to anything anybody has to say on here so I don't see why you bother posting. Every time somebody tries to help you on here you either tell them to jog on or you completely ignore them.
Reply 11
I have tried to help you several times over the last few months, each attempt has been met with hostility. You are unwilling to listen to anything anybody has to say on here so I don't see why you bother posting. Every time somebody tries to help you on here you either tell them to jog on or you completely ignore them.

Look mate even if I did work there and I can't anyway because I swore at KFC once and I'm glad I did then would they actu ally care I'm 24 and at college 4 days a week. Would they be flexible. The answer is no
I can't get a ****ing job because no one cares!!!

Come on somebody ****ing hire me now

I doubt anyone is going to hire you if you go around saying **** like that
Reply 13
My qualifications might not be the best but i put them all in my CV

Then you'd get a criminal record and find it even harder to get a job.

I hate to do the whole "tough love" thing, but you really need to lover your standards and man up a bit if you want a job. These places are choosing somebody to work for them out of loads of applicants and you need to make yourself sound better than them. They have no obligation to hire you.
Getting a job sucks and it can be really hard, but it is for everybody. You need to build your skills or work a crappy job. Nobody is going to want to hire you with no experience and no drive when they have other applicants wit experience and who actually sound like they give a damn.

You're only in college too so you're applying with just GCSEs. Once you improve your qualifications and build experience you'll be more likely to qualify for better jobs. Until then you get the less good ones. That's just how it works.

It sucks, but it's life.

Have you tried places like cineworld, primark, tesco, ASDA, Waitrose etc? They tend to take on students so will be less interested in experience and more flexible with your pre-existing commitments. Sure it's retail and retail kinda sucks, but it's better than a hot kitchen.
You could also try asking and handing out your CV in local shops.
It may also help you to ask if college can help you with your CV. A good CV is hard to write and they can help make it sound better.
Just remember, you need to sound like you give a damn. Nobody's going to hire you if you sound like you don't.
Reply 15
I don't have any GCSE. I don't have a levels. I have level 2 in English and level 1 in maths. I can't even get in those things you list because I FAIL online applications or don't hear back. I don't have any activity I did at school so how can I make myself stand out more
Volunteering is not the same as paid work. I don't understand why you expect to get paid for it. It will give you experiences and references for your CV to help you find a job, in return for your time.
Reply 17
I'm sorry the way I have acted

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Reply 19

1) you are clearly mentally unwell/not coping with your autism well at all/have serious anger issues/intellectual issues.
2) the world owes no-one anything.
3) until you accept that you have serious problems that no-one on a forum will be able to solve, you will never improve.
4) dwelling on your problems will warp you even more.
5) the best thing you can do is take any job you get offered (because you're unlikely to get any in your current state) and focus on not losing it due to your anger/other issues.

There is no magic to it.

No-one here can do a thing to improve your chances.

Quick Reply

Latest