Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

<POLL> Do you feel that listening to music helps you study better? Watch

• View Poll Results: Does listening to music helps you study?
    Yes it does! for any subject and I do it often.
    12.50%
    Yes it does! for any subject but I only do it sometimes.
    3.75%
    Yes! but depends on some subjects, but I do it often.
    16.25%
    Yes, but depends on some subjects, and I only do it sometimes.
    13.75%
    No, but I sometimes listen to music while studying.
    23.75%
    Not at all! It is a distraction.
    30.00%

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a research for my project on whether music improves our work efficiency.
    Please select ONE option from below that describes you!
    Thank you for voting.

Post some opinions below!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzo1128)
    I am doing a research for my project on whether music improves our work efficiency.
    Thank you for voting.
    Wheres the options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabby33)
    Wheres the options?
    Sorry, it was not posted properly.
    It should be displayed now!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, it was not posted properly.
    It should be displayed now!
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Before to set in the mood but not whilst

ReputationRep:
    If you can study with music either it's really easy or you're not putting your full attention to it. Complete silence is ideal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't listen to music, mainly because I haven't really got in the habit and I don't really do long enough study sessions to be bothered, though one time I listened to white noise while doing this massive 5 page essay and it was so helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Laughing at how many times 'Please go and vote for my poll ! ' is on the Latest tab

ReputationRep:
    I never understand how people listen to music while revising. I literally need silence, all I want to hear is my own thoughts. I probably could while doing homework but definitely not while revising, either way I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentials)
    Laughing at how many times 'Please go and vote for my poll ! ' is on the Latest tab
    Hehe I posted way too many

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I never understand how people listen to music while revising. I literally need silence, all I want to hear is my own thoughts. I probably could while doing homework but definitely not while revising, either way I don't.
    Same here! I just can't concentrate unless it's a really quiet classical music.
    Silence is the best for me too.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I posted way too many
    You gotta do what you gotta do I s'pose! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by computuring)
    I don't listen to music, mainly because I haven't really got in the habit and I don't really do long enough study sessions to be bothered, though one time I listened to white noise while doing this massive 5 page essay and it was so helpful.
    Thank you for posting and that is really interesting. I don't really listen to music while studying too. I will definitely put in my project about the white noise. It is all over Youtube so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    If you can study with music either it's really easy or you're not putting your full attention to it. Complete silence is ideal.
    Silence is the best for me too!
    I agree with you, This subject really depends between people.

ReputationRep:
    Studying, and most especially exam practice, should be done in conditions as close to the exam conditions as you can get. Unless you want you first experience of answering exam questions in silence to be when you are in the real exam.

I have written about exam preparation on this study website.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Silence is the best music.

ReputationRep:
    It distracts me but I'd rather listen to music and so have to take slightly longer to process things than deal with noise around me.

ReputationRep:
    I find that slow beats tend to get me focused. Anything with lyrics and I'm gone XD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you for voting.

Post some opinions below!
    I like listening to music a lot but when I study, I need silence but I do get the urge to listen to music. Sometimes it does block out the world whilst you focus but if a good song comes on, it distracts me. I need to focus entirely on what I'm doing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Helps me because I have ADD and find it difficult to block out outside noises. I can block out familiar music and the music blocks out everything else. It's the only way I could get any revision done in college. It's not a perfect solution and sometimes I can't think at all with music going, but in those cases I'd be screwed anyway and I just need to take some time for my brain to charge.
    Unfamiliar or disruptive music doesn't help at all though. Needs to be familiar or predictable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.