Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

<POLL> Do you feel that listening to music helps you study better? Watch

• View Poll Results: Does listening to music helps you study?
    Yes it does! for any subject and I do it often.
    12.50%
    Yes it does! for any subject but I only do it sometimes.
    3.75%
    Yes! but depends on some subjects, but I do it often.
    16.25%
    Yes, but depends on some subjects, and I only do it sometimes.
    13.75%
    No, but I sometimes listen to music while studying.
    23.75%
    Not at all! It is a distraction.
    30.00%

ReputationRep:
    With maths I can listen to any music and study better but with economics and politics there's a lot of reading and most music will put me off if they have lyrics because I get confused, but when I do study economics or politics I listen to Classical or Jazz without any singing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    Studying, and most especially exam practice, should be done in conditions as close to the exam conditions as you can get. Unless you want you first experience of answering exam questions in silence to be when you are in the real exam.I have written about exam preparation on this study website.
    That is a really good point and I agree.
    and I have checked your exam preparation tips. They are so detailed and gave me an idea so thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxyn)
    With maths I can listen to any music and study better but with economics and politics there's a lot of reading and most music will put me off if they have lyrics because I get confused, but when I do study economics or politics I listen to Classical or Jazz without any singing
    That is very interesting, and that applies to me as well. But I listen to classical music with all of my subjects because lyrics get me confused lol even maths
    :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzo1128)
    That is a really good point and I agree.
    and I have checked your exam preparation tips. They are so detailed and gave me an idea so thank you so much!!
    You're very welcome. I'm glad it is of use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_guy874)
    Silence is the best music.
    Yes. the best tune tbf:headbang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    It distracts me but I'd rather listen to music and so have to take slightly longer to process things than deal with noise around me.
    same here. I find background noise more distracting:danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntrovertPizza)
    I find that slow beats tend to get me focused. Anything with lyrics and I'm gone XD
    Haha
    Same here tho, slow techno beats and quiet classical music helps me but songs with lyrics just forces me to sing along:argh:

ReputationRep:
    when I'm drawing I have to listen to music as it helps me creatively, for other work I do listen but sometimes if a catchy song comes on I find myself focussing more on the music than my work 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Helps me because I have ADD and find it difficult to block out outside noises. I can block out familiar music and the music blocks out everything else. It's the only way I could get any revision done in college. It's not a perfect solution and sometimes I can't think at all with music going, but in those cases I'd be screwed anyway and I just need to take some time for my brain to charge.
    Unfamiliar or disruptive music doesn't help at all though. Needs to be familiar or predictable.
    Thank you for your detailed response. It helps me so much with my project.
    That is very interesting. I also feel comfortable when I hear familiar song which makes me more focused when listening and I also agree that music is the only solution to block out the loud noises in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    I like listening to music a lot but when I study, I need silence but I do get the urge to listen to music. Sometimes it does block out the world whilst you focus but if a good song comes on, it distracts me. I need to focus entirely on what I'm doing.
    Thank you for your response.
    me too, it really depends on situations and it does block out the distraction noises in the background.
    Yea, if a song I like plays I cannot stay still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emzalol)
    when I'm drawing I have to listen to music as it helps me creatively, for other work I do listen but sometimes if a catchy song comes on I find myself focussing more on the music than my work 😂
    That is a very interesting point, as I was only looking at opinions form maths students, English students etc. I can imagine that music can help creativity significantly and that applies to me as well when I try to compose music.
    and same here, if a song I like comes on I cannot stay still:dance::danceboy::elefant:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've never not used music, can't go without but I'd prefer to go with songs without/ with minimal lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    I can find it hard to get into work and get distracted easily so I find music helps drown out the 'noise' in my head - however, only music with no words because otherwise you are processing different sentences in your head at the same time and it gets too much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    I can find it hard to get into work and get distracted easily so I find music helps drown out the 'noise' in my head - however, only music with no words because otherwise you are processing different sentences in your head at the same time and it gets too much!!
    Me too! music with no lyrics, such as classical music sometimes help me to get rid of the distractions in my head like you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
    If you can study with music either it's really easy or you're not putting your full attention to it. Complete silence is ideal.
    Totally agree. I rarely go to the scheduled lab sessions at uni because there's such a ****ing racket in there when it's full of people. Much prefer going late or really early to work when it's pretty much empty.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzo1128)
    I am doing a research for my project on whether music improves our work efficiency.
    Please select ONE option from below that describes you!
    Thank you for voting.

Post some opinions below!
    Nice thread.:yy:

For me, listening to music without words is the best for study:yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.