Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I chose the Medieval and Modern Languages course. Now I have to choose the subjects. I have chosen German and Russian: they’re both modern languages! Is it ok if I don’t choose a ‘Medieval’ one even though the name of the course is ‘Medieval and Modern languages’?
    Oh yes, and I chose the ‘ab initio’ courses, even though I have done German and Russian at high school. It’s not A Level German (and Russian) though, since I go to school in Italy. So I guess the choice of ‘ab initio’ is fine...? Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFChris)
    I chose the Medieval and Modern Languages course. Now I have to choose the subjects. I have chosen German and Russian: they’re both modern languages! Is it ok if I don’t choose a ‘Medieval’ one even though the name of the course is ‘Medieval and Modern languages’?
    Oh yes, and I chose the ‘ab initio’ courses, even though I have done German and Russian at high school. It’s not A Level German (and Russian) though, since I go to school in Italy. So I guess the choice of ‘ab initio’ is fine...? Thanks!
    Have you read the course info?
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

(PS. The name of the course, to be pedantic, is Modern and Medieval Languages... )

Tagging Paralove for extra insights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

(PS. The name of the course, to be pedantic, is Modern and Medieval Languages... )

Haha, I have read it. I don’t have A Level qualifications because in Italy there’s no such thing. The only qualification I need is to get more than 98 out of 100 in the Italian State Exam, and I think I can achieve that!
    Whoops, I just put that in chronological order hahahaaarghh

ReputationRep:

Haha, I have read it. Thank you for your response! I don’t have A Level qualifications because in Italy there’s no such thing. The only qualification I need is to get more than 98 out of 100 in the Italian State Exam, and I think I can achieve that!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I have read it. I don’t have A Level qualifications because in Italy there’s no such thing. The only qualification I need is to get more than 98 out of 100 in the Italian State Exam, and I think I can achieve that!
    The "A-level" bit also refers to A-level equivalent. So if you are currently studying a language at school in Italy it's not ab-initio.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Choosing two modern languages is the norm in MML, no need to worry about that. Ab initio means that you are starting the language from scratch or at least from a low level. If you've studied your languages already at secondary school but feel your level is not very high, I would recommend contacting the college you're applying to to explain exactly what the situation is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Choosing two modern languages is the norm in MML, no need to worry about that. Ab initio means that you are starting the language from scratch or at least from a low level. If you've studied your languages already at secondary school but feel your level is not very high, I would recommend contacting the college you're applying to to explain exactly what the situation is there.
    Yes, I believe it’s the best way. Can I write it in the additional notes in the SAQ questionnaire? Or is it better to contact with an email?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe it’s the best way. Can I write it in the additional notes in the SAQ questionnaire? Or is it better to contact with an email?
    Not sure, but you might as well do both to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! 4th year student in MML here.

You have to do two languages, but one of them must be at the post A-Level (or equivalent) level. You wouldn't be able to do both from ab initio level. You can only do a language from ab initio if you don't have an A-Level equivalent in it - so considering you're studying both at school, and at the same level in school, you would not do either of your languages at ab initio.

With regards to the 'medieval' part of the course title - this isn't in terms of picking one modern language and one old language. Within the course you have the opportunity to choose papers (later on in the degree) where there are texts from the older versions of the languages you study. For example, I'm taking the medieval Spanish, and early modern Spanish papers this year. I don't know if it's quite the same for German and Russian - though I imagine it is judging by the other languages on offer in the course - but with both French and Spanish, it is compulsory to study at least one medieval text in your first year. If you don't enjoy it, you can choose not to focus on it for the exam, and take modern papers in the following years, but you will have to cover at least one medieval text at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Hey! 4th year student in MML here.

You have to do two languages, but one of them must be at the post A-Level (or equivalent) level. You wouldn't be able to do both from ab initio level. You can only do a language from ab initio if you don't have an A-Level equivalent in it - so considering you're studying both at school, and at the same level in school, you would not do either of your languages at ab initio.

With regards to the 'medieval' part of the course title - this isn't in terms of picking one modern language and one old language. Within the course you have the opportunity to choose papers (later on in the degree) where there are texts from the older versions of the languages you study. For example, I'm taking the medieval Spanish, and early modern Spanish papers this year. I don't know if it's quite the same for German and Russian - though I imagine it is judging by the other languages on offer in the course - but with both French and Spanish, it is compulsory to study at least one medieval text in your first year. If you don't enjoy it, you can choose not to focus on it for the exam, and take modern papers in the following years, but you will have to cover at least one medieval text at some point.
    Thank you for your comment!
    Well, I’m afraid that the level of German and Russian in my school is not the same as the A-Level subjects taught in England... The Italian school system is very different. I’ll have a B1 qualification in German before the end of the year. Ouch! Didn’t know it was that complicated!
    The Russian level is very low (I have good grades, but I’m talking about the curriculum in general). I’m tempted to choose ‘ab initio’ for that one if it’s possible D:
    It’s because in Italy we study all subjects (maths, science, etc.), which are eleven! So it’s impossible for us to reach an A-level knowledge in each subject. But we do have a good overall knowledge of stuff!

Thank you for taking your time to explain the true meaning of MML haha. At least I feel more confident about this part of my application!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Well, I’m afraid that the level of German and Russian in my school is not the same as the A-Level subjects taught in England... The Italian school system is very different. I’ll have a B1 qualification in German before the end of the year. Ouch! Didn’t know it was that complicated!
    The Russian level is very low. I’m tempted to choose ‘ab initio’ for that one if it’s possible D:
    B1 is AS-level / "low" A-level. So probably not suitable for 'ab initio'.

http://gostudylink.net/en/support/levels

ReputationRep:
    The Russian level is very low (I have good grades, but I’m talking about the curriculum in general). I’m tempted to choose ‘ab initio’ for that one if it’s possible D:
    It’s because in Italy we study all subjects (maths, science, etc.), which are eleven! So it’s impossible for us to reach an A-level knowledge in each subject. But we do have a good overall knowledge of stuff!

Thank you for taking your time to explain the true meaning of MML haha. At least I feel more confident about this part of my application!
    B1 is AS-level / "low" A-level. So probably not suitable for 'ab initio'.

http://gostudylink.net/en/support/levels
    If you only have AS-Level then you can take it ab initio - this was the case with one guy in my ab initio Spanish class.

If neither of your languages are going to be at the suitable level to take at least one of them at post A-Level (so, achieving B2 before you start at Cambridge) then you really need to contact the colleges and ask about that, and whether you can make a realistic application.

When is it you're intending to apply? For entry in 2018 or 2019?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    If you only have AS-Level then you can take it ab initio - this was the case with one guy in my ab initio Spanish class.

If neither of your languages are going to be at the suitable level to take at least one of them at post A-Level (so, achieving B2 before you start at Cambridge) then you really need to contact the colleges and ask about that, and whether you can make a realistic application.

When is it you're intending to apply? For entry in 2018 or 2019?
    It’s the 2018 entry... I only have a few days left for the SAQ questionnaire...
    Thank you for the important pieces of information you gave me! How can I contact the school?

ReputationRep:
    It’s the 2018 entry... I only have a few days left for the SAQ questionnaire...
    Thank you for the important pieces of information you gave me! How can I contact the school?
    Email the admissions tutor of the college you're interested in/applying to. Their address will be on the college website if you google it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I linked the wrong URL (sorry)!

This is the one - and I've bolded a particularly relevant bit:
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....course-outline

You study two languages, at least one at post-A Level/IB Higher Level standard. You should indicate which languages you’re interested in studying in your Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ). The choice isn’t final, and many students change their mind before (or after) they start.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I linked the wrong URL (sorry)!

This is the one - and I've bolded a particularly relevant bit:
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....course-outline

You study two languages, at least one at post-A Level/IB Higher Level standard. You should indicate which languages you’re interested in studying in your Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ). The choice isn’t final, and many students change their mind before (or after) they start.
    Oh, that’s why! That’s great then, thank you very much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.