Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI guys,

Basically I submitted my UCAS form in like a few days ago. For the grades section I wrote my A level grades down. I wrote A*AA which is what i got; I am a gap year student. However for Chemistry , one of the subjects i got an A in ) for 2 out of the 3 exams i got really high A technically an A*. i found this out when going for remark. This new system means that you have to get really high A's for all 3 modules to get an A* overall) but i only got that for 2 out of the 3 hence my A. So in my UCAS Form, for the individual module grades i put an A* where i got the a* in even though the highest was an A. I did this to show to the universities that i was really close to an A*. Is this lying? should i contact the unis and explain myself? or am i just worrying about something so silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_machine)
    HI guys,

Basically I submitted my UCAS form in like a few days ago. For the grades section I wrote my A level grades down. I wrote A*AA which is what i got; I am a gap year student. However for Chemistry , one of the subjects i got an A in ) for 2 out of the 3 exams i got really high A technically an A*. i found this out when going for remark. This new system means that you have to get really high A's for all 3 modules to get an A* overall) but i only got that for 2 out of the 3 hence my A. So in my UCAS Form, for the individual module grades i put an A* where i got the a* in even though the highest was an A. I did this to show to the universities that i was really close to an A*. Is this lying? should i contact the unis and explain myself? or am i just worrying about something so silly.
    nah don't worry about it - everyone loves a white lie, it wont land u in any trouble
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is lying.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    HI guys,

Yes it's lying if you didn't have that grade on your results sheet, you could put the ums to show you were close to the next grade, contact UCAS and the universities to get it changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes it's lying if you didn't have that grade on your results sheet, you could put the ums to show you were close to the next grade, contact UCAS and the universities to get it changed.

oh okay, I think i i will get it changed-thank you for your reply! If i contact UCAS via email and get it changed, will I then have to contact each university again? or does it automatically change the form that all the unis have ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    oh okay, I think i i will get it changed-thank you for your reply! If i contact UCAS via email and get it changed, will I then have to contact each university again? or does it automatically change the form that all the unis have ?
    Yes you will have to tell the unis that you ve changed it after speaking to UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes you will have to tell the unis that you ve changed it after speaking to UCAS.
    Do you think the universities will look at my application differently once i tell them i.e. will they look at me less favourably? i did not change my final grades, they are correct. For the module ones the ones that are meant to be an A* (as quoted my teacher) it is officially written as an A but its a really high A , so technically an A*, and you need 3 of them to get an a* overall. but i got 2. explained it again as my previous explanation was poorly.
    • Very Important Poster

HI guys,

So you put you got an A* when in fact you didnt?

It depends. If you just put A* for modules and then A for the main grade, then its a bit confusing but its not going to kill you. Its technically incorrect because A* appears to be awarded at the main level only.

The unis will know this. Claires suggestion of UMS is better.

Obviously saying you ot an A* overall when you did not is clearly a lie, but I dont think thats what you are suggesting you did?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the universities will look at my application differently once i tell them i.e. will they look at me less favourably? i did not change my final grades, they are correct. For the module ones the ones that are meant to be an A* (as quoted my teacher) it is officially written as an A but its a really high A , so technically an A*, and you need 3 of them to get an a* overall. but i got 2. explained it again as my previous explanation was poorly.
    You have the same final grades so the only effect is that they ll wonder why you were dishonest about it when unis will know you can't get a* in individual modules anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So you put you got an A* when in fact you didnt?

It depends. If you just put A* for modules and then A for the main grade, then its a bit confusing but its not going to kill you. Its technically incorrect because A* appears to be awarded at the main level only.

The unis will know this. Claires suggestion of UMS is better.

Obviously saying you ot an A* overall when you did not is clearly a lie, but I dont think thats what you are suggesting you did?
    Yes i overall got an A and so for my overall grade i wrote an A. But for the module marks, I attached an image below, for each individual module the grades range from A* to U but on our certificates the module marks go from A to U. To show that i was close to as A* overall I said i got a A* for 2 of the exams, which i did, but when they look at my certificate it says only 3 A's for the modules but if they look at my breakdown they will notice the 2 A*.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    They have your ULN and can check your results online. Any inconsistencies will be picked up so it's best to call up the individual unis and inform them.
    • Very Important Poster

Yes i overall got an A and so for my overall grade i wrote an A. But for the module marks, I attached an image below, for each individual module the grades range from A* to U but on our certificates the module marks go from A to U. To show that i was close to as A* overall I said i got a A* for 2 of the exams, which i did, but when they look at my certificate it says only 3 A's for the modules but if they look at my breakdown they will notice the 2 A*.
    I dont see anything wrong. You stated you got an A overall (correct) and you gave them information with the module breakdown and A* level for 2 out of 3 modules. in a format they can interpret for themselves. I think its ok verify with UCAS if concerned. I think that fits the requirement of a complete and accurate record.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by joshchamp125)
    They have your ULN and can check your results online. Any inconsistencies will be picked up so it's best to call up the individual unis and inform them.
    What inconsistencies are there? Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What inconsistencies are there? Am I missing something?
    He stated he got A* for one of the modules when he got an A.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by joshchamp125)
    He stated he got A* for one of the modules when he got an A.
    That wasnt my reading of the situation and they came back to clarify.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.