Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Starting this blog/thread/discussion thing to help a) motivate myself and b) maybe help people if they need it.

Should probably start off with the basics: I'm doing an A level in MEI Mathematics, OCR Physics and Edexcel chemistry and also the AQA EPQ. My GCSE grades were, by my standard, fairly underwhelming in some areas and i ended up with an:
    8 in maths
    6 and 7 in English (don't learn poems the night before)
    A* in physics, history, biology, geography
    A in Chemistry, German and RE

So there you go; overall fairly solid but a lot of slacking in GCSE's probably set me up for that. A levels are where you are really forced to knuckle down and thats exactly what i have done, already sitting my first end of topic chemistry test and achieving 92%. How, you may ask? Revision techniques obviously and then a fair few coffee doses. So i guess on this note, i should probably begin with my most valued revision techniques:

Flash Cards; by far my favourite. I like to revise by talking it out to people for some reason, and by writing down questions on one side of a WH Smiths record card with the answer on the flipside, allowing basically anyone in my family to quiz me on a subject even if they have 0 knowledge in it prior to this.

Mind maps; Doesn't work for some but i find it fairly useful, especially when aided with diagrams and colourful wording which helps those difficult facts stick in your head. Make sure to keep it concise but choose the wording importantly, as to make sure that you drill the important facts home.

And last, im sure people will find this one strange, is that when you are about and see something relevant to what you know try to explain it to yourself. I found this incredibly useful for geography processes.

Anyway, thats all for tonight. I will try and post regularly discussing different things. Tomorrow's topic will be organisation, something i have struggled with for the longest time but am now getting the hang of. Thanks for reading!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReescoMars)
    Starting this blog/thread/discussion thing to help a) motivate myself and b) maybe help people if they need it.

Should probably start off with the basics: I'm doing an A level in MEI Mathematics, OCR Physics and Edexcel chemistry and also the AQA EPQ. My GCSE grades were, by my standard, fairly underwhelming in some areas and i ended up with an:
    8 in maths
    6 and 7 in English (don't learn poems the night before)
    A* in physics, history, biology, geography
    A in Chemistry, German and RE

So there you go; overall fairly solid but a lot of slacking in GCSE's probably set me up for that. A levels are where you are really forced to knuckle down and thats exactly what i have done, already sitting my first end of topic chemistry test and achieving 92%. How, you may ask? Revision techniques obviously and then a fair few coffee doses. So i guess on this note, i should probably begin with my most valued revision techniques:

Flash Cards; by far my favourite. I like to revise by talking it out to people for some reason, and by writing down questions on one side of a WH Smiths record card with the answer on the flipside, allowing basically anyone in my family to quiz me on a subject even if they have 0 knowledge in it prior to this.

Mind maps; Doesn't work for some but i find it fairly useful, especially when aided with diagrams and colourful wording which helps those difficult facts stick in your head. Make sure to keep it concise but choose the wording importantly, as to make sure that you drill the important facts home.

And last, im sure people will find this one strange, is that when you are about and see something relevant to what you know try to explain it to yourself. I found this incredibly useful for geography processes.

Anyway, thats all for tonight. I will try and post regularly discussing different things. Tomorrow's topic will be organisation, something i have struggled with for the longest time but am now getting the hang of. Thanks for reading!
    I love this! It's really interesting to see other people's revision methods. Do you explain it out loud? I think if you're trying to get your head around something really tricky, it can be a good thing to try and explain it aloud and make it make sense verbally, as you might put it into words where it suddently all clicks into place and you can understand it better.

Good luck this year! Looking forward to keeping up with your blog Are you applying for uni this year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's exactly what i do, I am applying for Uni next year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.