Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

My halls experience has not been the best... at all. Super loud, messy and inconsiderate flat mates. My neighbor blasts music through speakers every day for hours on end. I've told her a couple times that her music is too loud, I can hear the bass in my room and it honestly gives me headaches.

Coming home after long days out especially in a big city, to relax in my room only to be disturbed by bass shaking my room... let's just say it's annoying as ****.

These past couple days, I've tried knocking on my neighbors door just as I've been doing in the past to get her to lower it.... and she doesn't open. I've tried about 5 times, she hasn't opened and continues blasting music at intervals.

Now. Do I A. report her to my halls admin and just get it officially over with but I'd have to live with her living next to me and hating me for the next 8 months, or do I B. keep constantly trying to resolve it and try to be on good terms with her.

I need advice from someone who's lived in halls and would know whether it's fine to just get admin to deal with it.

Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudent99)
    Hey guys,

My halls experience has not been the best... at all. Super loud, messy and inconsiderate flat mates. My neighbor blasts music through speakers every day for hours on end. I've told her a couple times that her music is too loud, I can hear the bass in my room and it honestly gives me headaches.

Coming home after long days out especially in a big city, to relax in my room only to be disturbed by bass shaking my room... let's just say it's annoying as ****.

These past couple days, I've tried knocking on my neighbors door just as I've been doing in the past to get her to lower it.... and she doesn't open. I've tried about 5 times, she hasn't opened and continues blasting music at intervals.

Now. Do I A. report her to my halls admin and just get it officially over with but I'd have to live with her living next to me and hating me for the next 8 months, or do I B. keep constantly trying to resolve it and try to be on good terms with her.

I need advice from someone who's lived in halls and would know whether it's fine to just get admin to deal with it.

Thanks.
    Try and speak to them in person civilly again but if that doesn't work you might have to speak to admin, there's no guarantee speaking to them will solve it or not make it worse though

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't exactly sound as though you're besties at the moment. Just report it to admin. You're not going to damage a friendship that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Which uni is it?

ReputationRep:
    Just report it, I had the same thing but the guy had his girlfriend living with us so it was doubly bad. I was in the room above so his speakers would make my room shake, they'd leave everything ridiculously messy and never cleaned up, and they'd leave the door unlocked as well since she obviously didn't have a key. There was no other security, just our front door, so literally anyone could walk in. I'd spoken to them and they didn't change, so I reported it to accommodation and they had a meeting with him and told me that they could offer me a studio apartment since I wasn't happy at all. They were first years and I was in my final year doing my dissertation so it was even more important for me to feel relaxed in my home and to be able to get on with my work, I didn't feel bad for reporting cause he was breaking the rules of our accommodation contract and not being mindful to the rest of us in the house.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until Monday but not say anything. If it continues, simply report it to your residential tutor. I'm sure others may have complained so it shouldn't be too obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I would wait until Monday but not say anything. If it continues, simply report it to your residential tutor. I'm sure others may have complained so it shouldn't be too obvious.
    Thanks. After I posted this thread, they turned up the music so much that it was just impossible to stay in my room and not do anything. I knocked on their door, told them to turn it down, they did and just raised the volume double how it was. It was 1 am... No one else has complained so she knows it's me but I don't care anymore. She's being inconsiderate, she knows she's being annoying, she's just an awful person. Called admin, they told them to shut it off. I read the code of conduct and apparently I just need to report one more time when the volume's at its worst so her speakers are taken away for the tenancy duration. Problem will be solved

ReputationRep:
    A big part of me actually thinks 'when in Rome do as the Romans do.' You're 18(?) and I reckon the 'loud messy and inconsiderate' flat mates are largely just young people in the prime of their lives having fun. If you can't beat em join em and be loud and messy with them! You'll be 37 soon enough in a quiet flat alone and bored out your mind wishing you joined in when you could! If you don't like it you can find your own housemates for next year and itll be quieter!
    Part of the 'having fun' is playing music. I think a bit of bassline vibrating through the walls now and again is not unreasonable. However............. if it really is loud, persistent and at really inconsiderate times ( although attitudes will vary wildly here, some might say after midnight is not on, others 3am maybe!) chances are you are not the only one to be complaining. I suppose it boils down to it being is everyone in the halls annoyed with this one girl or are you the 'killjoy' a bit oversensitive about the odd bit of music? I was antisocial when in Halls and I would often hear people come in at 2-3am loudly after a night out but I never complained once - I accepted I was in an environment where this was expected and didn't want to deprive others of fun! Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but expecting quiet in Halls is maybe a bit like going to Magaluf and expecting a spiritual retreat! Go join in or whack some of your own tunes on, youre only 18 once

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. After I posted this thread, they turned up the music so much that it was just impossible to stay in my room and not do anything. I knocked on their door, told them to turn it down, they did and just raised the volume double how it was. It was 1 am... No one else has complained so she knows it's me but I don't care anymore. She's being inconsiderate, she knows she's being annoying, she's just an awful person. Called admin, they told them to shut it off. I read the code of conduct and apparently I just need to report one more time when the volume's at its worst so her speakers are taken away for the tenancy duration. Problem will be solved
    Good. I'm all for people enjoying themselves and living life but as a student of politics I always think;

No liberty should be gained at the expense of others.

You did the right thing. Not your fault they are immature AF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Good. I'm all for people enjoying themselves and living life but as a student of politics I always think;

No liberty should be gained at the expense of others.

You did the right thing. Not your fault they are immature AF
    Exactly. I hate seeming like some cranky old fart, it's not like I hate seeing people happiness or I have a fear of fun. It's just that... there are other places to play music. There's an invention called headphones even. When she's playing music in the middle of the night, I'm going to be rather annoyed. Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not a total ***** xD

ReputationRep:
    Well done - you did the right thing. I’m sure you’re paying a lot to live there, so you have a right to be able to enjoy and relax in your room. Some people are so inconsiderate of others around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Well done - you did the right thing. I’m sure you’re paying a lot to live there, so you have a right to be able to enjoy and relax in your room. Some people are so inconsiderate of others around them.
    Exactly. If there's people I can't stand, it's the ones who have no consideration for others. And then I'm here like an idiot, making an effort to not close doors loudly during the day. Thanks for the reassurance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.