Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sickness and anxiety... Watch

I've begun to wretch and throw up recently, which I think is due to stress or anxiety, as besides this I am not ill apart from headaches. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, could you offer any tips on preventing it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've begun to wretch and throw up recently, which I think is due to stress or anxiety, as besides this I am not ill apart from headaches. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, could you offer any tips on preventing it?
    Anxiety can definitely cause a sick feeling. I once threw up in the car on the way to every exam and twice on the way to my first day of college.
    Best way to deal with it is reduce the stress/ anxiety. Long term that might mean some counselling or therapy, but short term it can be anything that distracts you from that anxious feeling.

Your body has things it does with anxiety and stress because it assumes it means danger and that it needs to protect you. With anxiety, you brain gets confused about what should be stressing you out and when it gets triggered it screams at your body to start freaking out. That can cause shortness of breath/ chest discomfort, stomach aches, overheating or sweating and feeling sick. You need to tell your body that everything is fine and it doesn't need to be freaking out.

It's all about finding what works for you, but focussing on chewing gum, listening to music breathing etc can help. Some cold water, ginger, lemon, mint etc may also help with that sick feeling a bit on the more physical level.

If you aren't already, I would also suggest getting some counselling (you can usually access it through school, uni or college) and/ or seeing your GP.

Hope that helps and that this becomes less of an issue soon

ReputationRep:
    from what i experienced , there is no preventing it im afraid , unless you get over the stress and anxiety causes which is hard too

ReputationRep:
    Im also suffered through anxiety but without any doctor prescription, I prefer yoga and at least 8 hours sleep in a day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.