Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCAS Personal Statement - ComputING Science or ComputER Science Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for CompSci and I'm pretty much done with my Personal Statement, however, I have no idea how to deal with this problem.
    At some unis, the course is called Computer Science, others call it Computing Science. I think I should mention the course name at least once and not always say "this subject" but I don't know how to get around this. Does anyone know how to deal with this/ how did you handle it in your PS?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    use a mixture, or use one or the other. I applied for civil engineering but sometimes i said engineering by itself and you know engineering has so many branches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    use a mixture, or use one or the other. I applied for civil engineering but sometimes i said engineering by itself and you know engineering has so many branches.
    Thank you very much! But is that not going to look stupid if I use both?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cappa2)
    Thank you very much! But is that not going to look stupid if I use both?
    i really dont think it does tbh. computing and computer really is exchangable and the most the admission tutor will think is ''they're changing it so it's not repetitive''
    unless the course really differs massively? you'd know more about its modules than me. i mean this girl's civil engineering personal statement used ''civil engineering'' all the way through, and she got accepted into general engineering at cambridge. dont stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i really dont think it does tbh. computing and computer really is exchangable and the most the admission tutor will think is ''they're changing it so it's not repetitive''
    unless the course really differs massively? you'd know more about its modules than me. i mean this girl's civil engineering personal statement used ''civil engineering'' all the way through, and she got accepted into general engineering at cambridge. dont stress
    Alright, I guess you're right! And I suppose the people working in admission will be aware of this issue anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.