Turn on thread page Beta

My flatmate is seeing my ex... HELP watch

ReputationRep:
    So my ex and I were together for two and a half years and he broke up with me in April. Then my flatmate, who is also one of my best friends told me she was meeting up with him as friends, I told her I was fine with it, providing it was just FRIENDS (June time).

Then she told me (July time) that they'd been talking a lot and when I asked in what way, she told me as more than friends. I explained to her that I was not happy with this as it was not long since we'd broken up at that point, I wasn't over him and that it would really hurt me. She understood and said it would not go past friends.

Then on August bank holiday weekend, my flatmates all went out together on a night out (I did also but with a group of school friends), I was home before them and when I heard them come home I went to check that they were okay. I noticed she wasn't there and asked my other flatmates where she was, they told me she was on the phone outside, we live on a very busy road and I wasn't happy with her, a drunk 21 year old girl, being outside by herself so went outside to make sure she was okay. When I went outside, she was sat in my ex's car directly outside the house, they didn't see me and I didn't know what to do so I stayed there. They then got out of the car and made their way to come into the house together. That's when they noticed me and panicked, he ran back into his car and we started arguing on the street for ages until I had enough and went back inside.

The next day, I was hungover and found out that my uncle passed away so I wasn't in the best frame of mind, she texted me saying I had overreacted and that I needed to talk to her. We didn't really talk about it after then as neither of us wanted to bring it up and now we're living together, with 3 other girls and it's incredibly awkward and I don't know what to do. If I bring it up she probably won't talk to me about it or will start an argument and I'd prefer to avoid another argument.

What do I do? I have to live with her until July so I'd rather we were friends and got over this but I cant get over the fact she's seeing my ex after knowing it would hurt me.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by abbalarr95)
    So my ex and I were together for two and a half years and he broke up with me in April. Then my flatmate, who is also one of my best friends told me she was meeting up with him as friends, I told her I was fine with it, providing it was just FRIENDS (June time).

Then she told me (July time) that they'd been talking a lot and when I asked in what way, she told me as more than friends. I explained to her that I was not happy with this as it was not long since we'd broken up at that point, I wasn't over him and that it would really hurt me. She understood and said it would not go past friends.

Then on August bank holiday weekend, my flatmates all went out together on a night out (I did also but with a group of school friends), I was home before them and when I heard them come home I went to check that they were okay. I noticed she wasn't there and asked my other flatmates where she was, they told me she was on the phone outside, we live on a very busy road and I wasn't happy with her, a drunk 21 year old girl, being outside by herself so went outside to make sure she was okay. When I went outside, she was sat in my ex's car directly outside the house, they didn't see me and I didn't know what to do so I stayed there. They then got out of the car and made their way to come into the house together. That's when they noticed me and panicked, he ran back into his car and we started arguing on the street for ages until I had enough and went back inside.

The next day, I was hungover and found out that my uncle passed away so I wasn't in the best frame of mind, she texted me saying I had overreacted and that I needed to talk to her. We didn't really talk about it after then as neither of us wanted to bring it up and now we're living together, with 3 other girls and it's incredibly awkward and I don't know what to do. If I bring it up she probably won't talk to me about it or will start an argument and I'd prefer to avoid another argument.

What do I do? I have to live with her until July so I'd rather we were friends and got over this but I cant get over the fact she's seeing my ex after knowing it would hurt me.
    Awkward, but I dont think theres a lot you can do. You dont own your ex and you cant really limit her.. Just ask her not to bring him round and then get on with your life. You might find someone else. You probably arent going to be best friends for a while as you are disappointed in what you see as a loyalty issue, so get a new one. chances are it wont last with them either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, both her and your ex are free to do what they want but you specifically told her you weren't over him and that it's still painful. A real friend wouldn't have pursued anything when she knows you're in that frame of mind. She needs to put your feelings before her own self-interest.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.