Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've struggled with anorexia and depression for about five years now. I've been seeing camhs for a while and they were really helpful and I was making big progress anorexia-wise, but then I turned 18 and had to be referred to adult services. Loosing the therapist who I worked so well with has really set me back.

Food is really hard at the moment and my mood is through the floor, I'm having multiple breakdowns a day.

This is all making school almost impossible. The other day I had to miss half of my lessons because my mental health was so bad and I felt so overwhelmed. I'm on antidepressents and recently had my dosage increased but its doing nothing.

I only feel like I have one teacher who cares, but I don't want to be too much of a pain to them. I'm in year 13 and I'm terrified of messing everything up.

Any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    I hope you're ok. What I've found that's been really useful for me is the b-eat online support groups! I've had ed-related issues before and the chat rooms are a place to open up. Here's a link where you can have a look: https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....ps/open-groups
    There's no obligation to turn up every week, just whenever you need to.
    Also for antidepressant dosage - when was it upped? It can take a few weeks for changing dosage to have an effect. Also, if you're having trouble with medication, talk to your therapist(s)/psychiatrist about it, or also the Mind infoline offers advice about meds.
    I know how you feel about only having one teacher who cares, so do I! I always feel like such a burden when they ask if I'm ok but honestly, your teachers are there to help you and they would hate to watch you struggling and might actually feel better that a student trusts them enough to confide in them.
    Have you got a learning support person at your school? There's one at my school and you can get things like a pass to leave lessons if it's too much, and honestly talking to your teachers about it can help relieve some stress and find more flexible ways of getting your work done and not letting you grades suffer. I aswell spent an entire day sat on my own in the common room bc I felt too bad to go to lessons last week and I'm in sixth form too so I know that it can make you feel awful not doing work! Have you got half term break now when you can catch up? because not only can you catch up but you can probably get some rest too hopefully, as ed and depression are both very tiring illnesses and tiredness can make everything feel worse than it is.
    DM me if you want to talk to someone! I know I find it helpful to talk to people who you don't know in person.
    I hope you feel better soon <3 *gives lots of virtual hugs*
    -Clipsi
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've struggled with anorexia and depression for about five years now. I've been seeing camhs for a while and they were really helpful and I was making big progress anorexia-wise, but then I turned 18 and had to be referred to adult services. Loosing the therapist who I worked so well with has really set me back.

Food is really hard at the moment and my mood is through the floor, I'm having multiple breakdowns a day.

This is all making school almost impossible. The other day I had to miss half of my lessons because my mental health was so bad and I felt so overwhelmed. I'm on antidepressents and recently had my dosage increased but its doing nothing.

I only feel like I have one teacher who cares, but I don't want to be too much of a pain to them. I'm in year 13 and I'm terrified of messing everything up.

Any advice please?
    Remember the progress you made before and that it came from you. It's difficult when you need to move on from something that helped you so much, but that was just supporting you in making your own progress.
    You can make that progress and more again with a new person.

Remember all the things that helped you and keep up with that. Don't beat yourself up too much over an bumps in the road. They'll happen, but you have already shown that you are strong enough to make it through.

Talk to your school about what's going on so they can support you and give you space when you need it. Your health and well being matters more than school so focus on being well and you can always work on any school things you've missed out on later.

How are things going with the adult service? Are you still waiting to see somebody? You might like to see if you can get some counselling or talk to a service like Samaritans on a regular basis while you wait just so you still have that time and space to reflect on things and vent anything you need to.

Hope that helps and good luck. Remember, you're amazing and have come so far already. You can do this!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.