Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The point on the circle x^2 + y^2 + 6x + 8y = 75 which is closest to the origin, is how far from the origin.

My solution:

(x + 3)^2 + (y + 4)^2 = 100

Line from origin to circle can be constructed using the coordinates of the center of the circle and the origin.

So y = 3/4x is the line.

(x + 3)^2 + (3/4x + 4)^2 = 100

x = 3.6621
    when x = 3.6624, then y = 4.102

Then work out the distance using Pythagoras.

However, this is wrong. Could you please assist?

ReputationRep:
    its y=4/3x not y=3/4x g

ReputationRep:
    try that you should get (3,4) as the point youre looking and distance 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muttonrolls)
    try that you should get (3,4) as the point youre looking and distance 5
    Thanks for your response, but I'm afraid that y = 4/3x is what I got for the line equation the first time, that's a typo in the above post.

What I do next is I insert 4/3x into the circle equation, like so:

(x + 3)^2 + (4/3x + 4)^2 = 100

This leads me to the Quadratic 25/9 (x^2) + 26/3 (x) - 75...

Which leads me to find the x as 3.6621, and y as 4.102.

:P

ReputationRep:
    Even after extensive experimentation, I can't seem to get the answer for this one.

I don't want to include all the ways I've tried to approach the problem, as that would take up too much space.

Could someone guide me in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Just graph this and you are gonna discover that the circle has radius 10, centre(3,4) And the distance between center and radius is 5.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordtangent)
    Hey! Just graph this and you are gonna discover that the circle has radius 10, centre(3,4) And the distance between center and radius is 5.
    Cheers
    Edit: I noticed I havent quite finished the logic but you get that , the minimum distance is 5 as its in a straight line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordtangent)
    Edit: I noticed I havent quite finished the logic but you get that , the minimum distance is 5 as its in a straight line.
    I did do a graph drawing, but from my drawing it looks to me that the closest point the origin isn't the straight line that leads upwards to 5, but instead the continuation of the line that passes through the origin and the center of the circle.

To do an accurate diagram, I would need to use a compass. :P Is using a compass something you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCASLord)
    I did do a graph drawing, but from my drawing it looks to me that the closest point the origin isn't the straight line that leads upwards to 5, but instead the continuation of the line that passes through the origin and the center of the circle.

To do an accurate diagram, I would need to use a compass. :P Is using a compass something you would recommend?
    If a circle has radius R, center C, and the distance of C from the origin is r, then the closest point between circle and origin is a distance |R-r| from the origin. You should not be worrying about lines at all.

ReputationRep:
    The point on the circle x^2 + y^2 + 6x + 8y = 75 which is closest to the origin, is how far from the origin.

My solution:

(x + 3)^2 + (y + 4)^2 = 100

Line from origin to circle can be constructed using the coordinates of the center of the circle and the origin.

So y = 3/4x is the line.

(x + 3)^2 + (3/4x + 4)^2 = 100

x = 3.6621
    I'm assuming you used a calculator for this. It should be stating the obvious, but if you need to use a calculator in the MAT, you've gone wrong somewhere

when x = 3.6624, then y = 4.102
    Note that for your values of x and y, x^2 = 6.6624^2 > 36, (y+4)^2 = 8.012^2 > 64, so (x+3)^2+(y+4)^2 is definitely *not* 100.

It is usually easier to check solutions that to find them in the first place, and so checking is usually a good thing to do...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response, but I'm afraid that y = 4/3x is what I got for the line equation the first time, that's a typo in the above post.

What I do next is I insert 4/3x into the circle equation, like so:

(x + 3)^2 + (4/3x + 4)^2 = 100

This leads me to the Quadratic 25/9 (x^2) + 26/3 (x) - 75...
    (x+3)^2 = x^2 + 6x + 9
    (4x/3 + 4)^2 = 16x^2 / 9 + 32x/3 + 16 (***)

so we end up with 25/9 x^2 + 50/3 x - 75 = 0.

I'm guessing you somehow lost a factor of 4 in the 'x' term when squaring to find (***).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    If a circle has radius R, center C, and the distance of C from the origin is r, then the closest point between circle and origin is a distance |R-r| from the origin. You should not be worrying about lines at all.
    Hmm, that seems to give the distance of 3 (because 10 - 3 - 4 = 3), but the actual distance is 5.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that seems to give the distance of 3 (because 10 - 3 - 4 = 3), but the actual distance is 5.
    The circle has center (-3, -4) which is distance 5 from the origin. It has radius 10. The distance given by |R-r| is therefore |10 - 5| = 5.

Edit: did you think the distance of (-3, -4) from the origin was 7?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    The circle has center (-3, -4) which is distance 5 from the origin. It has radius 10. The distance given by |R-r| is therefore |10 - 5| = 5.

Edit: did you think the distance of (-3, -4) from the origin was 7?!?
    Yeah, I forgot to use Pythagoras :P I see it now, distance to the origin is 5 now, and then 5 to the point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.