The Ultimate "I passed my driving test!" Thread (Mk. II) Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Passed your test? Congrats!! :party:

Want to brag about it? Then you've come to the right place! :yep:

Share the excellent news down below!

ReputationRep:
    Passed my driving test today! First time only 2 minors. Had loads of lessons, maybe I could have taken the test earlier, but my confidence and nerves were in the way.

I feel so relieved it's all done now and I can finally sleep at night. I found the test easier than most of my driving lessons, I think I had a very easy route and was given the easiest manoeuvre (turn in the road!).

Thanks to all who post in the forum, I read so many threads here and I'm sure it helped.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naujunou)
    Passed my driving test today! First time only 2 minors. Had loads of lessons, maybe I could have taken the test earlier, but my confidence and nerves were in the way.

I feel so relieved it's all done now and I can finally sleep at night. I found the test easier than most of my driving lessons, I think I had a very easy route and was given the easiest manoeuvre (turn in the road!).

Thanks to all who post in the forum, I read so many threads here and I'm sure it helped.
    Woooo! Congratulations!!! :woo::party:

It's an amazing feeling isn't it! The freedom now as well!

2 minors is amazing, well done you! :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I passed years ago but just want to brag that I passed both first time and got full marks in my theory test.

(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Passed your test? Congrats!! :party:

Want to brag about it? Then you've come to the right place! :yep:

Share the excellent news down below!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    I passed years ago but just want to brag that I passed both first time and got full marks in my theory test.
    Brag away

I got full marks on my Hazard perception But got 1 off on the Questions :eviltongue:

On my actual test: I passed it first time, with 1 minor

ReputationRep:
    passed my test today, 3rd time doing it but i'm so glad because now i don't have to waste more money on driving lessons and i don't have to do the new test either
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    passed my test today, 3rd time doing it but i'm so glad because now i don't have to waste more money on driving lessons and i don't have to do the new test either
    Congrats!! :woo::party:

Sorry about it being so late! :lol:

How many minors did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)

Sorry about it being so late! :lol:

How many minors did you get?
    thanks and no problem i got 6 minors

ReputationRep:
    Kinda irrelevant but I realised the only people who use loads of emojis are part of the mod team. Like I've never seen a normal user use this::spank:.

@hannxm also that's pretty damn impressive.

ReputationRep:
    So...I passed first time yesterday with 2 minors! I honestly can't believe it! I really thought I would fail.

I was a nervous wreck and my examiner could tell just with the way I was answering my show me tell me questions. He told us to set off and positioned his feet over the duel controls haha he must have been worried!
    At the first junction I was a bit harsh with the breaks and sloppy with my gear change (but juddery) and I said sorry to him lol. I don't know how I even drove I was shaking. So we get going and all seems well. I did say 'I can't believe I'm this nervous, I'm only driving!) he didn't say anything back. About 10 mins or so in he told me to get the next right and it was on a bit of a hill and I ended up rolling back slightly (I thought I had failed here) once on the road he pulled me over and said he wants me to do a reverse around the corner. We drove passed but there was a car parked so he told me to do a turn in the road. I was really happy about this because I have always done it well and find it super easy! Not today! I stalled it! I couldn't believe it! I said to him 'oh it's a good job there's no cars around' I get going again and he pulls me over straight away and says he wants me to do an emergency stop. I'm bricking it! I do it ok. Then we get to the end of the road and he wants me to turn right and I only went and stalled it again!! I was like 'oh my gosh, what is going on with me, sorry' I figured it was totally over for me! After that we had a little chat on the way back to the test centre which did make me feel a lot less nervous tbh. And then it was over! My instructor came over to the car and the examiner told him I had passed! I was in shock! Got a minor for roll back and one for stall. I tried to set off in 2nd gear haha.

My advice for people is don't think too much when you make a mistake! I was sure it was a serious but it turned out to just be a minor! So keep at it and don't give up!

He could tell I was nervous and I said sorry for being so nervous at the end and he said he is used to it!

I took some rescue remedy before my test but tbh I don't think they did anything!!

Also I'd suggest taking some water with you! My mouth was so dry, it was horrible! I drank all mine in the test centre. When he asked me to pull over I tried to have some water but only got a pathetic drop.

For people who do more than one test you are amazing!!! Honestly I think my nerves would be worse the second time round! Keep at it, you will get there!

Looking back the test was actually quite a bit easier than my lessons and it does go really quick and you're back at the test centre before you know it!

oh and if you're at a roundabout for a wee while don't panic thinking you have to get moving just because others are whizzing past you. This happened to me but I didn't get panicky thinking I had to get a move on. I just waited for a safe gap whilst others were flying past me then went. If I had rushed to go I would have got a serious fault and failed.

Thanks to everyone that posts on here! I have been on here everyday reading and rereading posts!

You're all amazing!! Thank you so much!

Sorry for the massively long post haha

ReputationRep:
    Passed on the 10th with only 3 minors. Took a little break from lessons after i failed and came back with a vengeance. 2 for hesitation and 1 for approach speed. Test felt short at only 36 mins and the examiner was fairly chatty. Feel elated. Was sweating like a madman by the end of the test.

ReputationRep:
    Passed today, 2nd attempt 1 minor.
    Good result I'd say.
    I can now use both car and motorcycle, already been out a fair bit today. Have a 51 plate Honda civic 1.6 vtec se executive.
    Lovely car to drive, almost ready for a few new parts, clutch and rear brush. Engine is sound, good working order. Full service history.

ReputationRep:
    passed today first time with 5 minors! i'm just sooooo happy i never have to have lessons again and i won't have to learn the new test!

ReputationRep:
    Passed second time with 3 minors!!

I was so bitter because I only failed my last test because some moron pulled out on me and the examiner beat me to the brake, other than that I drove really well. I was even more nervous this time in case something like that happened again, I was literally shaking as I got into the car. Almost blanked on the show me tell me questions but luckily I'd learnt them thoroughly enough that even in my nerves I managed to come up with the right answer eventually.

Started the test, got a pretty good, quiet test route which was nice, not too much traffic around. He asked me to pull over twice, which I did fine, then got me to do the turn in the road. My best manoeuvre! Did that fine too, I was starting to relax a little.

Then at the end of the road he asked me to turn left but there were parked cars on the left pretty much right to the end of the junction which put me off a bit, it was also a really tight corner which made it more difficult, then another driver was trying to turn into the road so I had to move out of their way. I ended up over shooting it, went too far to the left and my back wheel went right up the kerb as I pulled out :eek: I knew straight away I'd failed because I wasn't like I'd just tapped the kerb, my wheel actually went up it. I was absolutely gutted, knew I'd failed AGAIN and would probably have to learn the new test because the waiting times in the area are ridiculous.

But because I already knew I'd failed, I relaxed a bit because I thought 'oh well, the worst has happened, might as well just get on with it'. So I was just chatting to the examiner for the rest of the test, did pretty much everything else perfectly. At one point he asked me if I had a car ready to drive, which I thought was a bit cruel and rubbing it in that I'd failed and wouldn't be able to drive it

He asked me to pull over twice more (which my instructor said was probably him checking that I could judge my distances and that hitting the kerb was just a silly mistake caused by nerves) and we did some tricky dual carriageways and roundabouts but I did them fine because I was more relaxed and not worried about failing on them because I already had!

So we pulled into the test centre (I parked in the bay perfectly too!) and he asked me to switch off the engine and wait until he'd filled out his report. I was fully expecting him to tell me I hadn't passed, so I was absolutely gob smacked when he told me I'd passed! He let me off mounting the kerb with a minor because he could see how nervous I was, and said the rest of the drive was excellent bar a few silly little things. I missed my point of turn once and ended up swan necking a little bit, and on one of the dual carriageways I assumed it was 40mph and missed a few signs telling me it was actually 50. I did eventually realise and sped up which is why he let me off with a minor. But he told me I was very safe and capable and that he was more than happy to pass me - just to watch out for kerbs

I guess I proved that just because you make a mistake doesn't mean that you've failed, even though you'll probably think you have. Just stay calm, don't get flustered and continue driving safely and they might just let you off with it as long as you don't make any more mistakes like it. Most of the examiners understand how nerve wracking it is and know that people make silly mistakes when they're nervous, so don't be afraid of them. Just drive as well as you can, stay calm, and you'll do it too!

ReputationRep:
    Passed 3rd time with probably my most nervous drive out of all 3, I had the same examiner I had for my second test as well which we had a bit of a laugh about
    First fail was missing a no entry sign like a complete mong, second fail was I almost pulled out into the path of a lorry (I blame the car in from for failing to use a right turn filter lane though I had to pull past on the left)
    Anyway, left the test centre and had a generally nice route around the local industrial estate, wide straight roads and a 40mph limit up towards the city centre, spent most of the time chatting about my previous test, how we had both lived in Leeds and how much we despise the one way system in Leeds centre. Had bay park as my manouvre and although not 100% straight, I got it in the lines and passed with 3 minors. I think I should have got an extra minor for gears because I completely forgot to switch out of 3rd for a corner and pretty much coasted round riding the brake but alas, a pass is a pass

ReputationRep:
    How many lessons did ya’ll have? I’ve done 8 and I’m confident but not ready
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    How many lessons did ya’ll have? I’ve done 8 and I’m confident but not ready
    About 15, I think???

The average is around 25 I think :yep: (That's excluding private practice)

(Original post by dickwhittington)
    Passed 3rd time with probably my most nervous drive out of all 3, I had the same examiner I had for my second test as well which we had a bit of a laugh about
    First fail was missing a no entry sign like a complete mong, second fail was I almost pulled out into the path of a lorry (I blame the car in from for failing to use a right turn filter lane though I had to pull past on the left)
    Anyway, left the test centre and had a generally nice route around the local industrial estate, wide straight roads and a 40mph limit up towards the city centre, spent most of the time chatting about my previous test, how we had both lived in Leeds and how much we despise the one way system in Leeds centre. Had bay park as my manouvre and although not 100% straight, I got it in the lines and passed with 3 minors. I think I should have got an extra minor for gears because I completely forgot to switch out of 3rd for a corner and pretty much coasted round riding the brake but alas, a pass is a pass

ReputationRep:
    Passed 2nd time, in London of all places. 4 minors (not answering an abs question correctly, wide parallel park, bad road positioning when asked to pull up and I eased off the brakes slightly early during the emergency stop - I'd say 3 of those I really should have avoided, the parallel park was a given). Was quite lucky; not too busy (very little traffic and I don't even remember seeing more than one set of lights), easy independent drive was a route my instructor had already taken me on multiple times, lovely narrow roads!

Around 60 lessons total but could be more. Motor ordered!

Don't really have much tips to give, especially since it isn't THE perfect pass but the one I gave myself was if I mess up the parallel park - don't bother fixing it. Examiner said even if I did I'd have still got the minor for having to readjust it. As long as you finish on the correct side of the road and are within two car lengths of the point he gave you (usually another car) - you're fine. I tried fixing it in the pre-test lesson and mounted the curb, on a test that is an instant fail. Take the minor. Oh and mirrors - USE ALL OF THEM whenever there's a space in time. Driving straight long period of time? Show the examiner you still check to see what's behind you, and always look before you brake, not as you do it; but don't use your mirrors so much you miss important signage like roundabouts and speed limit changes; this caught me out on almost every lesson.

ReputationRep:
    Passed first time last friday!
    Took me 5 months to complete learning to drive. Started in July 2017, went for my theory in August - passed first time. Around September booked my practical test for 10th of November and so far it was the luckiest day of my life
    I did have 45 hours of lessons but still had very low self-confidence, probably because my brother was learning with the same instructor and passed first time too. When it got to the test my leg was shaking so much that I stalled even before getting out of the test centre! I knew that stalling does not mean failing as long as you don't roll down but it really put me off because I didn't even get out the centre and stalled alredy... I just thought it made me look like a bad driver right from the beginning therefore for the whole test I was just thinking that I have already failed and I have relaxed. We were just around the corner from my test centre and it was the time to finish now so I got really sad as well because I thought he will make me do bay parking as we still didn't do any manouver but didn't say anything so I drove past the centre and he told me to do turn in the road! My favourite But at the same time I was thinking I failed anyway... After turn in the road we entered the test centre and he told me I passed... I literally cried. Only had 5 minors which was an EXCELLENT score for me - my instructor was very harsh when we were doing mock tests and I would usually get like 12 minors. He was an amazing instructor and I think I benefitted from his marking as it didn't made me over confident.

ReputationRep:
    Passed my driving test after 2 fails with 3 minors, one for signalling late and one for undue hesitation. I had worked myself up into such a state I couldn’t sleep at night, thank god it’s over!! 😅

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.