The Student Room Group

QUB - Dentistry applicants - 2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Denti2000
Congrats! What are your A level predictions and Ukcat score if you dont mind answering? Good luck with your interview:smile:)

Thanks so much! AAA pred, 650 UKCAT Band 2, 8A*, 2A GCSE! Have you applied? :smile: thanks so much!!!!!
Original post by lk99
Thanks so much! AAA pred, 650 UKCAT Band 2, 8A*, 2A GCSE! Have you applied? :smile: thanks so much!!!!!

Yesss but I didnt receive anything and im kind a worried. Btw are you a UK or an EU citizen?
Reply 42
Original post by Denti2000
Yesss but I didnt receive anything and im kind a worried. Btw are you a UK or an EU citizen?

I’m from Northern Ireland! I’m not really sure how they pick but I wouldn’t worry! Most universities extend their interviews as well from the dates given! 😁 there’s a Dentistry group chat with about 100 dental applicants on WhatsApp if you’d like to join! Pm me if you’d like added! Those on the chat who got an interview all seem to be from NI like me!
Reply 43
Hey, could you add me also into the group? +852 63081915
Just got an interview!
Reply 45
Original post by :D ABC123
Just got an interview!

Me too :biggrin:
Just got an interview!

congrats! is it for the jan/feb date?
Original post by ssaahhaanndd
congrats! is it for the jan/feb date?

It’s for the January date :smile: Have you heard anything yet?
It’s for the January date :smile: Have you heard anything yet?

not yet no! but i have another interview on the same exact date as Jan so I hope they will let me change to feb if i get invited
Reply 49
Original post by Qizzel
Me too :biggrin:

Congratulations! If you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?
Original post by zxc12390
I am in no way overconfident, my point was a valid since if you can't get an A in say biology at GCSE it is highly unlikely you would do at A level. And by you presenting yourself as an anomaly doesn't form a good argument it just shows you are an exception. You are also making a sweeping generalisation about dental applicants when most likely you have met/talked to less than 1% of those applying for the course.

I find it strange that you have assumed no one has the capability to achieve a place to study dentistry at university - just because it is "highly unlikely" does not automatically render the task impossible. To represent my belief as an actuality, I know, off the top of my head, at least 12 people that have achieved an A at A - level, despite only achieving a B at GCSE - 2 of which have secured places at universities to study medicine. In rebuttal to my apparent "anomalous situation", your choice of word "anomaly" is singular, thus implying I am, as you put it "an exception", despite the 12 people I know personally that have proven your belief invalid. It seems you have made the sweeping generalisation here. Moreover, considering I am in a WhatsApp chat with 198 dentists and 14 dental hygienists, I have talked to more than "1% of those applying for the course". Again, another inaccurate assumption my friend.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IGCSETANK
I find it strange that you have assumed no one has the capability to achieve a place to study dentistry at university - just because it is "highly unlikely" does not automatically render the task impossible. To represent my belief as an actuality, I know, off the top of my head, at least 12 people that have achieved an A at A - level, despite only achieving a B at GCSE - 2 of which have secured places at universities to study medicine. In rebuttal to my apparent "anomalous situation", your choice of word "anomaly" is singular, thus implying I am, as you put it "an exception", despite the 12 people I know personally that have proven your belief invalid. It seems you have made the sweeping generalisation here. Moreover, considering I am in a WhatsApp chat with 198 dentists and 14 dental hygienists, I have talked to more than "1% of those applying for the course". Again, another inaccurate assumption my friend.

Anyone can achieve a place to study dentistry I never said that no one has the capability so please do stop making things up.
Well done for finding 12 other people who got an A at A-level but B at GCSE, would you like a medal because you need to find a hell of a lot more people? I guarantee you if you collated all pupils who got an A/A* at A-level the overwhelming majority would have an A/A* in that subject at GCSE so it is not an invalid statement.
Also you have not actively talked to each and everyone of the 198+14 therefore your statement is invalid.
Anyone can achieve a place to study dentistry I never said that no one has the capability so please do stop making things up.
Well done for finding 12 other people who got an A at A-level but B at GCSE, would you like a medal because you need to find a hell of a lot more people? I guarantee you if you collated all pupils who got an A/A* at A-level the overwhelming majority would have an A/A* in that subject at GCSE so it is not an invalid statement.
Also you have not actively talked to each and everyone of the 198+14 therefore your statement is invalid.

I never claimed that you explicitly said no one has the capability to study dentistry - I was referring to the condescending tone that your initial statement implied. Moreover, those are 12 people I PERSONALLY know - just search TSR and it will become clear as to how many have achieved academic success at A level. I think you need to reread what you initially said and my reply concerning its validity (your either dyslexic or chose to ignore it). Additionally, considering I set up the WhatsApp chat, I'm afraid I HAVE talked to everything single one as you have to ask beforehand. In the future, at least make sure you have an IQ higher than that of a potato before posting something online.

To help you out, once there is more than one of something, that "something" is no longer considered an "exception", as you put it. It is now considered a minority. As you referred to me as a singular "exception" your point was invalid as I know of 12 that have proven you wrong. Kapeesh ?
lol I don't know who either of you are, but zxc12390 your retarded mate😂😂😂your getting humiliated 😭😭
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by TheNewDentist
lol I don't know who either of you are, but zxc12390 your retarded mate😂😂😂your getting humiliated 😭😭

I wish you're never my dentist. Can't be having a dentist with the grammatical age of a 10 year old...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
I wish you're never my dentist. Can't be having a dentist with the grammatical age of a 10 year old...

Whilst I undoubtedly agree that his grammar is appalling and makes me want to have an aneurysm, your grammar is also **** - the "word" can't is also grammatically incorrect - it should be "cannot". I seriously hope you are not planning on studying dentistry...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 57
Whilst I undoubtedly agree that his grammar is appalling and makes me want to have an aneurysm, your grammar is also appalling - the "word" can't is also grammatically incorrect - it should be "cannot". I seriously hope you are not planning on studying dentistry...

I must disagree..
Grammatically, you can use can't instead of can not or cannot in the majority of circumstances. There is an exception. In wh-movement, the contraction should not be expanded unless you also change the word order.
Eg
Why can't I have some bacon? (OK)
Why cannot I have some bacon? (not OK, archaic)
Why can I not have some bacon? (OK again, although formal)

Stylistically, the choice between can't and cannot is more complex. Generally, people use can't in speech and informal writing, and cannot or can not in formal writing or very formal speech. Also, cannot might be used when you need to carefully distinguish it from can't in speech. In my case it was perfectly fine to use "can't" :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
I must disagree..
Grammatically, you can use can't instead of can not or cannot in the majority of circumstances. There is an exception. In wh-movement, the contraction should not be expanded unless you also change the word order.
Eg
Why can't I have some bacon? (OK)
Why cannot I have some bacon? (not OK, archaic)
Why can I not have some bacon? (OK again, although formal)

Stylistically, the choice between can't and cannot is more complex. Generally, people use can't in speech and informal writing, and cannot or can not in formal writing or very formal speech. Also, cannot might be used when you need to carefully distinguish it from can't in speech. In my case it was perfectly fine to use "can't" :smile:

The concepts of the "wh-movement" are irrelevant as the WORD can't doesn't TECHNICALLY exist. Although your style point is valid as it's a modern conception - e.g. "Can't" is accepted as a term of speech, yet it still isn't included in dictionaries as it doesn't classify as a "real" word.
Reply 59
The concepts of the "wh-movement" are irrelevant as the WORD can't doesn't TECHNICALLY exist. Although your style point is valid as it's a modern conception - e.g. "Can't" is accepted as a term of speech, yet it still isn't included in dictionaries as it doesn't classify as a "real" word.

I know what you mean lol, but this is a forum, not a world class report about to be published in the Nature Journal. Pipe down.

Quick Reply

Latest