Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can these people say so confidently that I have friends? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was feeling a little bit lonely recently - my studies got in top of me and I was feeling a little isolated socially. I said on Facebook to some people that I felt that I had no friends - all of the academic pressure was making me a bit unwell before my assignments were spaced out. They responded 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong. Look up the definition of friend in a dictionary and apply it to people you know'. Another said to me 'you do have friends and can talk to me anytime' My question is how can these people be so confident that I do have friends? They're no longer with me (i.e. We separated geographically and I haven't saw these people for a long time - I hadn't spoken to either of these people for nearly a year before hand and then probably a year or two before that). Immeresing myself in studies can at times makes me feel lonely, and in the absence of people immediately around me, I can feel that I have no friends. I don't really speak to people anymore from school anymore and get very few messages by text/social media. How can these people say that I 'do have friends' and 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong' when I can feel so lonely and friendless at times?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go around saying stuff like that, you'll regret it later. Might sound horrible but don't voice these things to people unless it's a psychiatrist(?) or something.

But to answer your question, they are referring to themselves as the 'friend'

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your response @Yaboi. Please can I have some more answers to this as I am still overthinking it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    Thank you very much for your response @Yaboi. Please can I have some more answers to this as I am still overthinking it...
    yeah thats the problem, you're over thinking it. If you're feeling stressed or alone then talk to these people and let them help you instead of questioning them. They might end up being just what you needed.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_mitchell)
    yeah thats the problem, you're over thinking it. If you're feeling stressed or alone then talk to these people and let them help you instead of questioning them. They might end up being just what you needed.
    What do you mean by they might end up being just what you needed? Do you think that these people are my friends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    What do you mean by they might end up being just what you needed? Do you think that these people are my friends?
    Maybe you don't see them as your friends but if they're offering their time and are willing to listen then whats the harm in giving them a chance?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.