Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student in Pakistan applying through UCAS. Cambridge university is not holding any interviews in my country and the closest country where they are is India. I cannot afford the airfare to go there for an interview - what should I do? I need to select a place for my COPA.

ReputationRep:
    Email the relevant team in Cambridge let them know of your circumstance and see if they can arrange something else

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try to contact Cambridge and see if there's any financial aid they can provide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sash.kay)
    I'm a student in Pakistan applying through UCAS. Cambridge university is not holding any interviews in my country and the closest country where they are is India. I cannot afford the airfare to go there for an interview - what should I do? I need to select a place for my COPA.
    If you can't afford a return flight to a neighbouring country how are you going to afford actually going to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    If you can't afford a return flight to a neighbouring country how are you going to afford actually going to Cambridge?
    LMAO That is very true. It costs almost a fortune to study in Cambridge as an international student.. especially for the Sciences course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    ^^^ this.

Have looked at how much it will cost an international student to study at Cambridge.
    It’s not only the tuition fees but you’ll also need to pay college charges on top of it. And financial support from the university, like scholarship, is extremely selective and competitive, almost next to non-existent.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....-students/fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    ^^^ this.

Have looked at how much it will cost an international student to study at Cambridge.
    It’s not only the tuition fees but you’ll also need to pay college charges on top of it. And financial support from the university, like scholarship, is extremely selective and competitive, almost next to non-existent.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....-students/fees
    Honestly I'm applying because our school made it compulsory for those with good grades to apply to the uk. I am aware of the tuition fees and low chances of scholarship, but my school says to take the chance and try out for a scholarship.

Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I've stated my reasons for applying in another reply, but I wanted to mention that going to India will be an issue. My father served in the military so there is no chance he'll let me go there even for a short interview.

Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm applying because our school made it compulsory for those with good grades to apply to the uk. I am aware of the tuition fees and low chances of scholarship, but my school says to take the chance and try out for a scholarship.

Thanks for your reply.
    Even if you get the (extremely rare and elusive) scholarship, that won't cover your living costs. You'd still have to pay for rent, food, other bills, transport around Cambridge and anything else that isn't the tuition fees as UK scholarships on,y cover tuition fees. If you can't afford a flight to India you can't afford to live in the UK. How would you even afford to fly to the UK to study if you can't afford a flight to a country that's even near to you? Cambridge wouldn't pay for your flight.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your reply.
    Try contacting the Admissions team to see if there is anything that can be done etc, Can it be done over skype or something idk,

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.