The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread (Mk. III)

Have you failed your driving test? :frown: Maybe the fail wasn't even your fault!

Feel free to post below and share your frustration! :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Have you failed your driving test? :frown: Maybe the fail wasn't even your fault!

Feel free to post below and share your frustration! :redface:

lol. I failed my first test but passed on the second attempt.

Turning left from the busy high street into a narrow cul-de-sac, which also had an all girls grammar school at the end. It was lunchtime and lots of yr 12/13 girls were crossing the road, most of them not paying attention to me, but I was them!

I stopped to let some across (they were already in the road) and held up the high street traffic as a stream of girls then took advantage. Someone behind impatiently honked, I then continued to turn left but my rear nearside wheel clipped the curb. Fail. Doh!

Oh well. :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
lol. I failed my first test but passed on the second attempt.

Turning left from the busy high street into a narrow cul-de-sac, which also had an all girls grammar school at the end. It was lunchtime and lots of yr 12/13 girls were crossing the road, most of them not paying attention to me, but I was them!

I stopped to let some across (they were already in the road) and held up the high street traffic as a stream of girls then took advantage. Someone behind impatiently honked, I then continued to turn left but my rear nearside wheel clipped the curb. Fail. Doh!

Oh well. :colondollar:

2nd time lucky! :biggrin:

That's a very unfortunate way to fail :frown: I most certainly wouldn't have been happy :/ Especially at the guy which honked :angry:
I failed my driving test first time today and it took a serious knock to my confidence with tbh wasn't that great to start with. My instructor told me that I'm a really good driver, but I just lack confidence and I let my nerves get to me...
The whole test started off horribly just because meeting my examiner I just knew that she was the person my instructor told me that throughout his years of teaching driving he has only know one examiner to never pass anyone. This just made me know from the start that it wasn't going to be a good drive. When it got to my maneuver it was a parallel park and tbh, I knew I could do this, but I'm not joking when I say that the road was only wide enough for the car I pulled up next to to do my maneuver and my car, so I was getting panicky on what I was supposed to do because I was taught to reverse back until the back seat was just a bit further than the back of the car I pulled up next to and the to turn the steering wheel, so my car would make a 45 degree angle, which considering the size of the road I was never going to make because I would've ended up on the pavement (which would've been an automatic fail) . What didn't help matters was that there were people waiting for me to complete my maneuver which stressed me out even more. Later on in the drive, I was asked to make a left turn and on part of the road I was supposed to make a left turn on there were diversion signs, and this made me nervous as I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go down this road and it wasn't till I was about 2 meters away she said to ignore the signs and drive on the road anyway.
At this point, I've given up and knew that I failed the test, which I did, not a surprise. I've had a good couple cries about failing and I just really don't want to continue on driving anymore.

That's my rant done :smile:)
I did my driving test two weeks ago and got minors for harsh braking, and being too close to parked cars. but I did three harsh brakes which turned into a serious and apparently I missed a mirror check which I didn't think was fair. My instructor said to move my test back to allow for others to do the test first so I can get more advice, but it's so expensive! I'd better pass second time. I get the frustration.x
Got three majors. Two on the independent driving *sigh*

FIrst Major: I missed the turning and the examiner told me to turn into a little turning near some flats and come back on myself... said I got a serious for steering because I had to steer around the parked cars a lot and there wasn't much room.... (I mean... you're the one who sent me there!)

Second and Third: When approaching a roundabout I was supposed to take the third exit (right hand lane) but I was so nervous due to a few errors I made before that I wasn't paying much attention and approached in the left. Tried to correct myself whilst I was on the roundabout but if I just continued going "the wrong way" safely I'd not have got those two majors!
Failed for the first time today and I'm gutted :/

2 majors and 2 minors. 1st major for turning into a road where pedestrians were crossing cause when I first looked there was no one there and the lights were green but by the time I checked if the road was clear the lights had gone red and people started crossing. Stupid mistake.

2nd major for going to quickly across a junction that was clear and the examiner had to brake. Another stupid mistake.

1 minor was for going too close to a car because I almost missed the turning so turned very quickly and lost control a bit. Second minor for god knows what.

I'm really disappointed tbh cause they were stupid mistakes. Just gonna get my dad to teach me from now on cause my instructor was a *******! Every time I made a mistake he would have a go at me and wouldn't shut up to the point I had no confidence going into the test. Even after the test he was having a go at me the whole way home and calling me stupid. His car was trash as well.

Oh well hopefully I pass next time.
Original post by MancFord7
Failed for the first time today and I'm gutted :/

2 majors and 2 minors. 1st major for turning into a road where pedestrians were crossing cause when I first looked there was no one there and the lights were green but by the time I checked if the road was clear the lights had gone red and people started crossing. Stupid mistake.

2nd major for going to quickly across a junction that was clear and the examiner had to brake. Another stupid mistake.

1 minor was for going too close to a car because I almost missed the turning so turned very quickly and lost control a bit. Second minor for god knows what.

I'm really disappointed tbh cause they were stupid mistakes. Just gonna get my dad to teach me from now on cause my instructor was a *******! Every time I made a mistake he would have a go at me and wouldn't shut up to the point I had no confidence going into the test. Even after the test he was having a go at me the whole way home and calling me stupid. His car was trash as well.

Oh well hopefully I pass next time.

Unlucky mate, but the low amount of minors means you are test ready and ready to pass; just need to clear up those two issues. The junction one really is silly. Traffic lights at certain junctions especially staggered ones can cause confusion and will catch out most learners, it's a given, you just need a few more rounds on that route. Going too fast through a junction is an instant must-fix; it's dangerous; all you need is for someone to be as fast as you going the other way without looking and one of you has a chance of ending up in hospital or worse, that is why you need to prepare to slow down and then actually do so slightly on the approach (but not so early else you'll be penalized for slowing down for no good reason). Basically if something comes you need to stop without having to slam on the brakes - but you don't want to be crawling. I used to speed over those roundabouts on T junctions where there's theoretically no traffic to your right unless there's an oncoming car turning right and I got out of that habit fast because "well nothing was coming" isn't good enough when a car from the left might just ignore me and enter the roundabout. You could say it's their fault because you're on the right; but in a test scenario if you have a near miss with them they'll fail you for bad planning; the test subtly asks you to consider other people's stupidity whilst driving.

I wouldn't recommend having your Dad teach you. ADIs have obtained their qualifications for a reason, my Dad taught me for a day once last year and my car went into the side of a truck because he didn't stop me from doing something stupid; an instructor would have slammed on the dual controls because they have an idea of how every scenario can end. If you have to change instructor, get on with Bill Plant, RED, or something like that; but please don't get taught by a parent. They're great for after you pass a test and need some reassurance on your first drive on a pink card; but I would never learn of a parent, even if they're the best driver on this earth they will never teach you better than an ADI.

Speed isn't everything on a test, you need to drive at a speed relative to what is around you (within limits), but don't try to smash through it by speeding over junctions, going too quick and being in 2nd gear around a corner where you should be in 1st etc; don't get in the habit of saying "well I'm better off taking the hesitation minor" either; as some hesitations actually are Majors instead; but if push comes to shove and you need to slow down a lot when taking a corner, you can safely say "that was a minor at worst".

Nonetheless, best of luck with your next exam buddy. You didn't have a trainwreck of a test, you'll be fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
I failed my driving test today, first time. Gutted but I saw it coming.

My driving instructor phoned me at 7am this morning as her knee was so swollen that she couldn't drive. We then spent the entire morning scrambling about and, in the end, had to insure my Dad on my driving instructor's car (as the other car I'd driven on was 3 hours away). Because of the insurance, I wasn't allowed to even have a little 'warm up' drive before my test which really freaked me out. :frown:

The first thing I reached was a roundabout - which I managed to spectacularly mount, freaked out and then hit the curb when I was pulling off the roundabout. Then spent the last 30+ mins of my test sobbing. Somehow only managed to get 4 minors though so I'm pleased about that. :redface:

Gutted, but it was expected as I'm such a nervy person and the circumstances were awful.
Original post by Bubs051213

My driving instructor phoned me at 7am this morning as her knee was so swollen that she couldn't drive. We then spent the entire morning scrambling about and, in the end, had to insure my Dad on my driving instructor's car (as the other car I'd driven on was 3 hours away). Because of the insurance, I wasn't allowed to even have a little 'warm up' drive before my test which really freaked me out. :frown:

The first thing I reached was a roundabout - which I managed to spectacularly mount, freaked out and then hit the curb when I was pulling off the roundabout. Then spent the last 30+ mins of my test sobbing. Somehow only managed to get 4 minors though so I'm pleased about that. :redface:

Gutted, but it was expected as I'm such a nervy person and the circumstances were awful.

Sorry to hear that, sounds like it just wasn't your day! Nerves are a nightmare. I hit the kerb on my driving test a few weeks ago and i've never done that in a lesson before! Chin up and get booked for your next one! That was just your practice run, you know what to expect now so will nail your next one.
Original post by Bubs051213

Hella unfortunate. I was a trainwreck the morning out of my test but I got all the stupidity out of me in the 1hr pre-drive (If it was a test, easily several serious and dangerous faults). It really is a must!

I doubt you're unlucky enough for this to happen twice, so hopefully soon enough we'll hear from you having a license, I had the same amount of minors as you on my 2nd test which was passed, so all you basically need to do is not mount roundabouts and you're fine. At least after you pass and you tell people about the first test... "So what happened you got a major on your first test" "Yeah I thought the roundabout was a parking space."
Original post by nevershear
Hella unfortunate. I was a trainwreck the morning out of my test but I got all the stupidity out of me in the 1hr pre-drive (If it was a test, easily several serious and dangerous faults). It really is a must!

I doubt you're unlucky enough for this to happen twice, so hopefully soon enough we'll hear from you having a license, I had the same amount of minors as you on my 2nd test which was passed, so all you basically need to do is not mount roundabouts and you're fine. At least after you pass and you tell people about the first test... "So what happened you got a major on your first test" "Yeah I thought the roundabout was a parking space."

It was so unfortunate but couldn't be helped! Thanks so much for this, it really made me giggle. When we took the car back to my instructor, I told her the roundabout jumped out in front of me. 😂
I failed the first time during the turn into a corner which is no longer tested. I started too far away from the kerb. That's a major already... Only three minors. ARGH Will have another test next week
Failed my first ever driving test today :frown:

Due to incorrect positioning on the roundabout and using the wrong lane, hopefully I'll take my test in february and will be luckier!
Original post by Katox123
I failed the first time during the turn into a corner which is no longer tested. I started too far away from the kerb. That's a major already... Only three minors. ARGH Will have another test next week

Original post by jason15300
Failed my first ever driving test today :frown:

Due to incorrect positioning on the roundabout and using the wrong lane, hopefully I'll take my test in february and will be luckier!

Both very unlucky! :frown: You can only learn from your mistakes I guess? :dontknow: Good luck with your next test!
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Both very unlucky! :frown: You can only learn from your mistakes I guess? :dontknow: Good luck with your next test!

cheers! Hopefully it will be a pass :smile:
Original post by jason15300
cheers! Hopefully it will be a pass :smile:

No doubt it will be! :h: It was a very minor thing you got the major for. :sadnod:
I failed couple weeks back because I went into the left lane when coming off the 3rd exit🙄, I didn’t check my blind spot. Only had 2 minors as well.
Original post by dalvin_sey
I failed couple weeks back because I went into the left lane when coming off the 3rd exit🙄, I didn’t check my blind spot. Only had 2 minors as well.

How unlucky! :sad: The blind spot is so important, I still check it every-time I change lanes :yep:

Good luck for your next test! :h:
Just failed mine this morning TT 17 minors and 2 majors :frown: Apparently I was taken on a route which they didn't know was still being used, my instructor had never heard of it.:angry: Oh well, booked my second test for three weeks from now so hopefully I pass then

Quick Reply