Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a 20 year old student in my 3rd year of studying genetics and I really want to go in to diagnostic radiography afterwards. However I am incredibly unsure on whether to do the post grad course in QMU or just do the bachelors degree ? Can someone give me advice ? Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Dear Lousha,

I am not a post grad diagnostic radiography student, but I study post graduate therapeutic radiography. From my experience the post graduate course has trained me to write at a higher level focusing on critical analysis versus my undergraduate degree. M-level courses tend to be a lot more hands off, with far fewer lectures and more impetus on self directed study. The courses tend to be more competitive than their undergraduate counterparts in terms of who they want applying i.e. 2:1 or higher in your UG degree as well as a good level of volunteering experience in a care setting. As the post-grad qualification is usually PgDip you'll only be a dissertation away from a masters degree which could be advantageous for future career development. The course is condensed and I don't have many holidays, however it is 1 year shorter than the UG degree so you get to be qualified and practicing radiography in a shorter time frame. Diagnostic radiography is a 24 hour service (unlike therapeutic radiography) and so you'd be expected to do night shifts as a student, are you prepared to do that? The funding for all allied healthcare profession courses has been removed by the government, are you able to self fund, ask a relative to pay, get a loan, or ask for charitable organisations for assistance?

In addition to this have you been to a diagnostic radiography department and experienced what a day as a diagnostic radiographer is like?

Best wishes,

S.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.