Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have two questions just to get a clear idea on this 'competition' aspect when applying to Universities. Although predicted grades are not the base of decision, it does have some significant weight.

Question 1. How many people do you know has got a 4 A* prediction (with A* EPQ if applicable)?
    Question 2. How many people in this country do you think have a 4A* prediction?

I feel as though by answering these questions, students, including myself, may be either more comfortable or enlightened by the fact that there is indeed a lot of competition.

I felt the need to ask this as its own question from the reply I did on another page.

ReputationRep:
    1. I am the only person I know who got predicted 4A* (I achieved this).
    2. I know 2% of people nationally achieve A*A*A* every year (300,000 take A levels per year so 6000 get this), and I'd imagine A*A*A*A* is about 1%-1.5%. But people's results are usually over-optimistically predicted, there's no formal data on predicted grades and most people do 3, not 4 A Levels, and people doing 4 are probably going to do well in them. so I'd be inclined to say around 2-3% of people would be precited 4A*, with 1-1.5% actually achieving it.

Just FYI, if you're predicted 4A* I wouldn't be worried about competition. The only places you might not get an offer from are: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and maybe UCL/Durham for a couple subjects, and everywhere if its medicine. I'd say its extremely rare to be rejected from anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    1. I am the only person I know who got predicted 4A* (I achieved this).
    2. I know 2% of people nationally achieve A*A*A* every year (300,000 take A levels per year so 6000 get this), and I'd imagine A*A*A*A* is about 1%-1.5%. But people's results are usually over-optimistically predicted, there's no formal data on predicted grades and most people do 3, not 4 A Levels, and people doing 4 are probably going to do well in them. so I'd be inclined to say around 2-3% of people would be precited 4A*, with 1-1.5% actually achieving it.

Just FYI, if you're predicted 4A* I wouldn't be worried about competition. The only places you might not get an offer from are: Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and maybe UCL/Durham for a couple subjects, and everywhere if its medicine. I'd say its extremely rare to be rejected from anywhere else.
    The only competition is getting into one of the Universities you've mentioned
    But anyway, thank you so much for the response! Extremely informative!

ReputationRep:
    I have been predicted 4 A*'s and to the best of my knowledge, so have almost all the people doing 4 A-Levels, especially those applying for Oxbridge. In honesty, to continue with 4 A-Levels in the first place indicates high academic capability so this isn't too surprising. I do go to a school with a very high academic rating though, so I doubt this is as normal in most schools.

ReputationRep:
    Loads, but most don't end up getting it at my school

ReputationRep:
    There are three people at my sixth form currently taking 4 A-Levels, of those three I know that I have a 4 A* prediction, my friend has either 4A* or 3A*&A and the other has a 1A* 3A prediction if that helps at all

Just for the record there are also a few predicted 3A*s
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted A*A*A*A*A, with one of the A*s in the Welsh Bacc. I just didn't complete the Welsh Bacc and ended up with 4A*s. In my school, I think there was one other person predicted A*A*A*A*, who also ended up dropping something, getting A*A*A*. It wasn't a very big sixth form (I guess there were around 100-150 of us in Year 13) or a particularly good one.

ReputationRep:
    I have A*A*A*A + A* EPQ

ReputationRep:
    I knew several people who were predicted 4A* (including myself). It was only a matter of doing well in all four of your AS levels. Got around or above 90 UMS in each subject? That's an A* prediction for you. (All of these 4A* people applied to Oxbridge, as you would imagine).

Most people I know also didn't go on to actually achieve the 4A*, particularly those doing humanities (I ended up getting 2A*2A, others got even lower than that).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.