Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I met this boy this year since we have classes together and he took the initiative to sit next to me in all those classes. Then one week he decided to sit with me when I had a free and he had a free. We got on really well and talked. We had similar interests. I could barely look him in the eyes when talking, when I’m nervous I tend to look around The convo flowed. He added me on fb, texted me first after college was finished asking me about the rest of my day and then asking me about our coursework. Then the next day we both didn’t talk and it was like nothing had happened and like we never talked. Then the only thing we talked about was coursework. I always keep the conversation going when we talk online, idk why I do it lol. Anyways moving on, he has said that I was cute on multiple occasions describing my actions. Fast forward a bit more, he talks to me a lot and replies really fast when I text first but then he falls asleep on me and he would apologise the next day. then we are back at college and we don’t talk at all or just a little. Sometimes when we text he even leaves me on read and it just gets on my nerves. The other day he texted first and talked about our lesson and then all of a sudden complimented me and I have no idea if I’m overthinking or not but it just really made my day because no boy has ever complimented me before. we resumed conversation and then he fell asleep on me and has left me on read. I keep waiting for him to reply and it’s distracting me from revising and doing my work as I’m staring at my phone all day. Why am I like this. I also always smile like a fool when I talk with him. I don’t understand why. Someone help me, how do I stop texting first and how do I stop myself from thinking about him all the time.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this boy this year since we have classes together and he took the initiative to sit next to me in all those classes. Then one week he decided to sit with me when I had a free and he had a free. We got on really well and talked. We had similar interests. I could barely look him in the eyes when talking, when I’m nervous I tend to look around The convo flowed. He added me on fb, texted me first after college was finished asking me about the rest of my day and then asking me about our coursework. Then the next day we both didn’t talk and it was like nothing had happened and like we never talked. Then the only thing we talked about was coursework. I always keep the conversation going when we talk online, idk why I do it lol. Anyways moving on, he has said that I was cute on multiple occasions describing my actions. Fast forward a bit more, he talks to me a lot and replies really fast when I text first but then he falls asleep on me and he would apologise the next day. then we are back at college and we don’t talk at all or just a little. Sometimes when we text he even leaves me on read and it just gets on my nerves. The other day he texted first and talked about our lesson and then all of a sudden complimented me and I have no idea if I’m overthinking or not but it just really made my day because no boy has ever complimented me before. we resumed conversation and then he fell asleep on me and has left me on read. I keep waiting for him to reply and it’s distracting me from revising and doing my work as I’m staring at my phone all day. Why am I like this. I also always smile like a fool when I talk with him. I don’t understand why. Someone help me, how do I stop texting first and how do I stop myself from thinking about him all the time.

I'm at university now but I remember going through something very similar when I was in college. It ended badly and almost cost me my uni place.

All I can say to you is don't let him or any other boy distract you from your studies. Focus on yourself and your goals, stay determined about what you're trying to achieve at school.

If someone really likes you they will make 100% effort and you don't need to even question it - people who like you and care for you do not leave you guessing or play with your mind/emotions. The problem is, you're probably quite young - I'm assuming 16-19 and at such a young age, most people aren't emotionally mature enough for proper relationships, especially boys.

In fact boys tend to be a few years behind in emotional maturity and even now in my 20's I won't date a guy who is younger than 25 because most of them are just not mature.

A 16-19 year old guy has one thing on their mind - believe me! Most of the time guys that age are not interested in you for the same reason that you are interested in them. It's very very rare to meet an emotionally mature teenage guy!

Be careful with your heart because teenage/young guys will mess with it and disappear and you'll be left to pick up the pieces. Focus on your goals and put all of that attention on your phone into your studies - don't get distracted and have one of the most important stages of your life affected or ruined by a boy who most probably will not be in your life in a couple of years time.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm at university now but I remember going through something very similar when I was in college. It ended badly and almost cost me my uni place.

All I can say to you is don't let him or any other boy distract you from your studies. Focus on yourself and your goals, stay determined about what you're trying to achieve at school.

If someone really likes you they will make 100% effort and you don't need to even question it - people who like you and care for you do not leave you guessing or play with your mind/emotions. The problem is, you're probably quite young - I'm assuming 16-19 and at such a young age, most people aren't emotionally mature enough for proper relationships, especially boys.

In fact boys tend to be a few years behind in emotional maturity and even now in my 20's I won't date a guy who is younger than 25 because most of them are just not mature.

A 16-19 year old guy has one thing on their mind - believe me! Most of the time guys that age are not interested in you for the same reason that you are interested in them. It's very very rare to meet an emotionally mature teenage guy!

Be careful with your heart because teenage/young guys will mess with it and disappear and you'll be left to pick up the pieces. Focus on your goals and put all of that attention on your phone into your studies - don't get distracted and have one of the most important stages of your life affected or ruined by a boy who most probably will not be in your life in a couple of years time.

You have no idea how much I needed this, thank you. I shall focus on my studies and aim for that uni I want to go to.

I would agree that although it is distracting, try not to let that throw you off-track in your studies. Nevertheless, you could always take the first step if you think it's worth it. Maybe for whatever reason he is just too shy or too insecure to do so, hence always dropping hints so that you will do something instead.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.